Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

I, Robot & Enter the Dragon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2019, 06:11:32 AM
What airline was it?

Delta.  At least the in-flight meal was decent.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Left Behind

A story based around a family prior to and during an apocalyptic event.

Introverted

Quote from: aligreto on May 19, 2019, 01:12:47 AM
Left Behind

A story based around a family prior to and during an apocalyptic event.

I really like the post-apocalyptic thing/Genre but haven't seen this movie yet - Will have to try to watch it at some stage... :)

aligreto

Quote from: Introverted on May 19, 2019, 01:23:01 AM

I really like the post-apocalyptic thing/Genre but haven't seen this movie yet - Will have to try to watch it at some stage... :)

Yes, it is quite watchable and the story line builds well. You know what to expect from Cage. Enjoy.

aligreto

He's Out There

A standard axe murderer storyline but with good tension.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: aligreto on May 22, 2019, 09:21:05 AMA standard axe murderer storyline but with good tension.

What kind of world is it where there is a "standard" axe murderer storyline?  :o  :laugh:

aligreto

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 22, 2019, 09:44:20 AM
What kind of world is it where there is a "standard" axe murderer storyline?  :o  :laugh:

A sad one, unfortunately.

aligreto

Saving Mr. Banks

I really enjoyed this one. I got much more out of it than I had expected to.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on May 23, 2019, 08:13:56 AM
Saving Mr. Banks

I really enjoyed this one. I got much more out of it than I had expected to.

Just watched Saving Mr. Banks a few months ago (bought the BD) - another Tom Hanks film for us last night:

Bridge of Spies (2015) w/ Tom Hanks, Mark Rylance, Alan Alda et al; Steven Spielberg, director - own the film on BD (excellent AV rating HERE) - based on a true story about the American lawyer, James Donovan (see quote); nominated for 6 Oscars, winning just one for Mark Rylance (Best Supporting Actor) - highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteJames Britt Donovan (1916 – 1970) was an American lawyer, United States Navy officer in the Office of Scientific Research and Development and the Office of Strategic Services (OSS, predecessor of the Central Intelligence Agency), ultimately becoming general counsel of the OSS, and an international diplomatic negotiator. Donovan is widely known for negotiating the 1960–1962 exchange of captured American U-2 pilot Francis Gary Powers for Soviet spy Rudolf Abel, and for negotiating the 1962 release and return of 9,703 prisoners held by Cuba after the failed Bay of Pigs Invasion. Donovan was portrayed by Tom Hanks in the 2015 feature film Bridge of Spies. (Source)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 23, 2019, 08:59:38 AM
Just watched Saving Mr. Banks a few months ago (bought the BD) - another Tom Hanks film for us last night:

Bridge of Spies (2015) w/ Tom Hanks, Mark Rylance, Alan Alda et al; Steven Spielberg, director - own the film on BD (excellent AV rating HERE) - based on a true story about the American lawyer, James Donovan (see quote); nominated for 6 Oscars, winning just one for Mark Rylance (Best Supporting Actor) - highly recommended.  Dave :)

Bridge of Spies was also recommended to me today by a colleague at work.

Karl Henning

(About time, perhaps):
Rush Hour 3
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Both films are splendid IMO. Poignant but with a streak of fantasy reminiscent of Fellini.

aligreto

Quote from: André on May 23, 2019, 11:07:19 AM

Both films are splendid IMO. Poignant but with a streak of fantasy reminiscent of Fellini.

Cheers André. Any reference to Fellini is good for me.

SonicMan46

Well, trying to get my wife to look at some films in my fairly large video collection - last night:

L.A. Confidential (1997) w/ Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Kim Basinger, James Cromwell, Danny DeVito, and David Strathairn - for those not familiar w/ this 'neo-noir' classic from the late '90s, see first quote below - nominated for nine Academy awards, including 'Best Picture' but lost to Titanic, a film that I really disliked (don't own and have never seen it again) - the comments in the second quote from Blu-ray.com pretty much mirror my own feelings - SO, if you're into 1950s cop films w/ a LOT of killing and blood baths, then this one should be a must watch - :)  Dave

QuoteL.A. Confidential is a 1997 American neo-noir crime film directed, produced and co-written by Curtis Hanson. The screenplay by Hanson and Brian Helgeland is based on James Ellroy's 1990 novel of the same name, the third book in his L.A. Quartet series. The film tells the story of a group of LAPD officers in 1953, and the intersection of police corruption and Hollywood celebrity. The title refers to the 1950s scandal magazine Confidential, portrayed in the film as Hush-Hush. (Source)

QuoteWhile teenage girls began to weep when Titanic's Jack Dawson slid beneath the icy waves, I began to weep when it was declared Best Picture at the 70th Academy Awards, handily leaving four more satisfying films -- As Good As It Gets, The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting and, of course, director Curtis Hanson's pulpy tale of cops, corruption, and celebrity, L.A. Confidential -- gasping for air in its wake. Now I don't claim to understand what goes through an Academy voter's head when making their final selection, and I don't like to definitively declare one Oscar-nominated film's value over another, but, in this case, I have to cry foul. Everything about Hanson's golden era Hollywood epic, from its searing screenplay to its pitch-perfect performances to its sweltering cinematography, makes Titanic look superficial and inadequate. As a sprawling ensemble piece, it's a masterwork; as a tri-pronged character study, it's a stunning achievement; as a period film, it's a mesmerizing glimpse into the dark depths of a seemingly idyllic decade. Make no mistake, L.A. Confidential is one of the finest films of all time.(Source)

Ken B

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 24, 2019, 09:55:34 AM
Well, trying to get my wife to look at some films in my fairly large video collection - last night:

L.A. Confidential (1997) w/ Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Kim Basinger, James Cromwell, Danny DeVito, and David Strathairn - for those not familiar w/ this 'neo-noir' classic from the late '90s, see first quote below - nominated for nine Academy awards, including 'Best Picture' but lost to Titanic, a film that I really disliked (don't own and have never seen it again) - the comments in the second quote from Blu-ray.com pretty much mirror my own feelings - SO, if you're into 1950s cop films w/ a LOT of killing and blood baths, then this one should be a must watch - :)  Dave

I am a big fan of the movie and the book. Too bad Ellroy went into a quality tailspin after that book — he started believing the hype. The man's ego makes Trump's look tiny.
The Big Nowhere is also good.

SimonNZ

I thought Ellroys memoir My Dark Places was very good.

Total agreement that the film LA Confidential is superb - I've seen it maybe a dozen times now. And that Titanic is dreck - I'm amazed I sat through all of it once.

aligreto

Madiel

X-Men: Apocalypse

Hmm. I realised just before watching this that it was one of the lowest-rated films in the X-Men series. I can see why. It's really not that involving. Many of the characters are there because you're supposed to recognise them, not because they're going to do anything interesting. The ethical questions that are at the heart of many of the franchise's best moments didn't really land for me in this one.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

André

Quote from: aligreto on May 26, 2019, 12:40:34 AM
Arrival

I enjoyed it.

Me too. The suspense element is kept simmering without overdoing the alien thing, with the focus turning back to the human element at the end.  It made me think of Pasolini's Teorema, where the character's lives are forever altered after the 'visitation' of the angel.