Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Wheelman

This one is definitely well worth a watch. It has a different slant on the heist caper genre.

SonicMan46

Black Narcissus (1947) w/ Deborah Kerr, Kathleen Byron, David Farrar, and Flora Robson - nuns sent to a converted convent on a mountain top in northern India high in the Himalayas - NOT filmed on location but scenery remarkably recreated in a studio and shot in gorgeous technicolor (see quote below) - fabulous ratings from HERE (second pic) - highly recommended certainly for the beauty of the filming, although the story may not be to everyone's liking?  Dave :)

QuoteShot in glorious Technicolor, Black Narcissus looks fantastic. With the assistance of production designer Alfred Junge and costume designer Hein Heckroth, legendary cinematographer Jack Cardiff managed to recreate the timeless beauty of the Himalayas at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire. In 1948, Cardiff and Junge were awarded Oscars for Best Cinematography and Best Art Direction-Set Decoration. (Link above)

Karl Henning

One which I hadn't seen in a while: Peter's Friends
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Cold Pursuit

[asin] B07PT38852[/asin]

Didn't realize at first that this was a black comedy.  This is the director's own remake of a Norwegian film.  Very enjoyable.

Apollo 11

[asin] B07PKC8LZM[/asin]

Very well done assembly of footage of the first moon landing.

mc ukrneal

I'm hoping someone here can help me with the name of a movie that I cannot figure out. It's a war movie with pilots in a plane. One of the pilots always wants to sit in the seat behind (it's a two seater). I forget why. It might be a John Wayne movie, but it might be someone else. I don't remember. I'm pretty sure it's black and white. Hopefully this is enough to jog someone's memory. Thanks!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Trevor Nunn's Twelfth Night. This is one of those feel-good movies I love to revisit. Of course, the lion's share of the credit belongs to the playwright, but there are two dozen touches in this production which get right in amongst me.

Zeffirelli's Hamlet. This was the first Hamlet I went in to the cinema to see and I do still enjoy it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Snow White and the Huntsman

This is a rather different, dark and interesting take on the fable.

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 11, 2019, 12:44:21 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help me with the name of a movie that I cannot figure out. It's a war movie with pilots in a plane. One of the pilots always wants to sit in the seat behind (it's a two seater). I forget why. It might be a John Wayne movie, but it might be someone else. I don't remember. I'm pretty sure it's black and white. Hopefully this is enough to jog someone's memory. Thanks!

Hi Neal - cannot 'pinpoint' the story plot of the pilot in the back seat - and have seen a TON of these fighter pilot films going back to Wings -  found this IMDB List of 44 films (many do not fit the fighter plane story) but maybe one will jog your memory.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

A Midsummer Night's Dream, with Kevin Kline as Bottom
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

A couple of new BD arrivals of old films from the 40s that I've not seen in a long time:

I'll Be Seeing You (1944) w/ Ginger Rogers, Joseph Cotton, Shirley Temple, Spring Byington, et al - about two 'damaged' people falling in love over the Christmas holiday (synopsis first quote below); Rogers superb (w/o needing to dance) and Cotton excellent - he made so many of these 'romantic' films around that time and was just able to fit well into the roles (e.g. Since You Went Away, 1944; Love Letters, 1945; The Farmer's Daughter, 1947; & Portrait of Jennie, 1948).

Pimpernel Smith (1941) w/ Leslie Howard and many others (synopsis second quote) - storyline based in part on Howard's 1934 film 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' but really a WW II British propaganda film - much more of the underlying story HERE - Dave :)

QuoteMary Marshall, serving a six year term for accidental manslaughter, is given a Christmas furlough from prison to visit her closest relatives, her uncle and his family in a small Midwestern town. On the train she meets Zach Morgan, a troubled army sergeant on leave for the holidays from a military hospital. Although his physical wounds have healed, he is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and is subject to panic attacks. The pair are attracted to one another and in the warm atmosphere of the Christmas season friendship blossoms into romance, but Mary is reluctant to tell him of her past and that she must shortly return to prison to serve the remainder of her sentence.

QuoteIt is mid-1939 and both Germany and England are preparing for an inevitable conflict. Professor Horatio Smith, an effete academic, asks his students to come with him to the continent to engage in an archaeological dig. When his students discover that the professor is the man responsible for smuggling a number of enemies of the Nazi state out of Germany, they enthusiastically join him in his fight. But things are complicated when one of his students brings a mysterious woman into their circle, a woman who is secretly working for the Gestapo.

NikF4

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 12, 2019, 09:16:38 AM
A Midsummer Night's Dream, with Kevin Kline as Bottom

Has the honour of being the longest stored but unwatched file on my hard drive. Anyway, you like it?

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF4 on June 12, 2019, 09:37:30 AM
Has the honour of being the longest stored but unwatched file on my hard drive. Anyway, you like it?
I do, very much
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

The Brink (2019) - streamed from Amazon last night - documentary on the infamous Steve Bannon (synopsis below) - this film received some mixed to excellent reviews; Susan & I never liked the man and this portrayal did not change our mind, plus I started to hate seeing him unshaven - we turned the show off about half way through, so no recommendation - watch at your own risk - ;)

The Mustang (2019) w/ Matthias Schoenaerts, Jason Mitchell, Bruce Dern, et al - again streamed from Amazon after turning off 'The Brink' - "The story of Roman Coleman, a violent convict, who is given the chance to participate in a rehabilitation therapy program involving the training of wild mustangs."  Based on a true project where wild horses are rounded up, trained by convicts, then auctioned off - if you're into horses and human interactions w/ the animals, then highly recommended.

Billy Elliot (2000) w/ Jamie Bell et al - tonight watched a few of my own videos - this one a favorite of ours - we saw the musical on Broadway on our last visit to the Big Apple (probably a dozen or more years ago) - highly recommended if a newcomer to the film.

Mogambo (1953) w/ Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, & Grace Kelly - two of the most alluring actresses from the era and Gable (who would die in 1960) still a dominant leading man - another one of my 'African adventure' films shot on location - worth a watch for those not familiar w/ the movie.  Dave :)

QuoteWhen Steve Bannon left his position as White House chief strategist less than a week after the Charlottesville "Unite the Right" rally in August 2017, he was already a notorious figure in Trump's inner circle, and for bringing a far-right ideology into the highest echelons of American politics. Unconstrained by an official post, he became free to peddle influence as a perceived kingmaker, turning his controversial brand of nationalism into a global movement. THE BRINK follows Bannon through the 2018 mid-term elections in the United States, shedding light on his efforts to mobilize and unify far-right parties in order to win seats in the May 2019 European Parliamentary elections. To maintain his power and influence, the former Goldman Sachs banker and media investor reinvents himself - as he has many times before - this time as the self-appointed leader of a global populist movement. Keen manipulator of the press and ...

George

Saw John Wick 3 today. First time in a movie theater in years. For a third installment in an action film, I thought it was quite good. The first one remains the best, though. I need to see that again soon. Still, this third one had some great moments when the killing died down and they told a story. I thought Halle Berry was mostly unimpressive, she felt like she was forcing the toughness. Very psyched there will be a fourth installment, as I don't usually watch movies like this. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

^I thought Asia Kate Dillon really good in her villain role - and she clearly loved playing it.

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 13, 2019, 09:22:06 PM
^I thought Asia Kate Dillon really good in her villain role - and she clearly loved playing it.

They did splendidly.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Recently re-watched both Hero and The Big Sleep.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 11, 2019, 12:44:21 PM

It sounds like it might be Flying Tigers (1942).

P-40s were 2 seaters, at least the ones used in the film were. I don't know if that was because they were trainers or just a variant.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

aligreto

Top Gun

It has been a very long time since I have watched this and I thought that it had aged well.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on June 14, 2019, 08:50:18 AM
Top Gun

It has been a very long time since I have watched this and I thought that it had aged well.

I got a kick out of its being mentioned in Peter's Friends.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA