Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Also, what I neglected to report: re-watchings of Raising Arizona and Otto Preminger's Laura.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 08, 2019, 04:16:54 PM
Also, what I neglected to report: re-watchings of Raising Arizona and Otto Preminger's Laura.

👍 - own both and enjoy!  Dave :)

Ken B

Rewatched The Big Lebowski

As before, mixed feelings. Lots of good things, but also a heavy hand.  There is a sequel in the works, The Jesus Rolls

aligreto

The Dirty Dozen

I have not seen this film in at least two decades and I found that it still held up well.

Ken B

Quote from: aligreto on July 09, 2019, 08:44:14 AM
The Dirty Dozen

I have not seen this film in at least two decades and I found that it still held up well.
Yeah, I was surprised when I watched it again last fall. It had blended in my memory with Kelly's Heroes and a few other films from the era, but it's better than they were.

aligreto

Quote from: Ken B on July 09, 2019, 12:56:44 PM
Yeah, I was surprised when I watched it again last fall. It had blended in my memory with Kelly's Heroes and a few other films from the era, but it's better than they were.

Yes, good point. Perhaps that was my perception too.

Karl Henning

The Blues Brothers. Only now did I learn that the clerk who receives the tax monies, is Stephen Spielberg.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Cold Skin

A very interesting film which depicts the tortured relationship between two men in the face of adversity.

Karl Henning

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy.

My enjoyment of this is warmer, this second go.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

The Help, 2011

Good enough, if obvious, but overlong.

Wanderer

Two classic films I recently saw at an outdoor cinema in Athens: Murder dy Death and Monsieur Verdoux. Both are favourites that I hadn't watched in many years. Outdoor cinemas are a quintessential part of Greek summer and they show both the season's popular and blockbuster films as well as classic and auteur films in a nostalgic jasmin-, basil- and honeysuckle-scented setting open to the stars (and sometimes, as in our case, stunning views of the Acropolis).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Wanderer on July 11, 2019, 02:36:52 AM
Two classic films I recently saw at an outdoor cinema in Athens: Murder dy Death and Monsieur Verdoux. Both are favourites that I hadn't watched in many years. Outdoor cinemas are a quintessential part of Greek summer and they show both the season's popular and blockbuster films as well as classic and auteur films in a nostalgic jasmin-, basil- and honeysuckle-scented setting open to the stars (and sometimes, as in our case, stunning views of the Acropolis).

Lovely!

Curiously, I remember seeing Murder by Death in the cinema, when it opened.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Recently I watched Le chant du loup, a French film about submarines. I'm a sucker for movies with subs in them. The movie has this cool actor Reda Kateb, who you'll recognize from Zero Dark Thirty and a season of Engrenages, the great French cop show.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Madiel

The Scandinavian Film Festival is on here again.

Icelandic film A White, White Day (Hvítur, Hvítur Dagur) apparently got plenty of favourable reviews at Cannes this year. Personally I'm not sure why. Yes, I get that there can be a real artiness to all these uncomfortably long shots, but I've seen plenty of other films that made me more interested in what I was being shown. For me there were too many sequences that were just a bit tedious.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. I understand there's a yet newer biopic out.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Didn't know anything more about this film going in other than that it won the Cannes Palm d'or, which was probably the best way to approach it.

Suffice it to say that my friend and I decide that not only was this excellent, but that over the next few weeks we'd be watching what ever we could by director  Hirokazu Kore-eda.

aligreto

Dr. Zhivago

I had not watched this in many years and I still enjoyed it.

Karl Henning

Orson Welles Chimes at Midnight
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Susan & I just returned from a 4-night stay at the Homestead Resort (last 2 pics below) in the Virginia Mountains (just a 4-hr drive) for our 49th Anniversary - probably our 4th+ visit there since the mid-80s - watched a few films just before our departure and one for me off Amazon last night:

Fugitive (1993) w/ Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, et al - watched w/ Susan and cannot believe the film has been around for a quarter of a century!  But, we still enjoy both main stars - of course, unbelievable escapes from the Federal Marshall service - excellent Roger Ebert Review for those not familiar w/ the story and the TV series years ago w/ David Janssen - recommended.

John Wick (2014) and John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) w/ Keanu Reeves as the super assassin John Wick - synopsis of the the first film below - both streamed from Amazon for just me - these are ACTION films w/ Wick killing dozens (and dozens!) of 'villains' after him, and using all sorts of deadly methods, including pencils - of course, these are fantasy films but I did enjoy both and plan to also stream the new third one out in the theaters now, when available - however, will not be purchases for me - BUT, Reeves somewhat limited acting style (IMO - although I loved the first Matrix film) fits nicely into this role.  Recommended if a fan of this genre - read the reviews if unsure.  Dave :)

QuoteLegendary assassin John Wick (Keanu Reeves) retired from his violent career after marrying the love of his life. Her sudden death leaves John in deep mourning. When sadistic mobster Iosef Tarasov (Alfie Allen) and his thugs steal John's prized car and kill the puppy that was a last gift from his wife, John unleashes the remorseless killing machine within and seeks vengeance. Meanwhile, Iosef's father (Michael Nyqvist) -- John's former colleague -- puts a huge bounty on John's head.