Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 15, 2019, 09:05:49 AM
Susan & I just returned from a 4-night stay at the Homestead Resort (last 2 pics below) in the Virginia Mountains (just a 4-hr drive) for our 49th Anniversary - probably our 4th+ visit there since the mid-80s - watched a few films just before our departure and one for me off Amazon last night:

Fugitive (1993) w/ Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, et al - watched w/ Susan and cannot believe the film has been around for a quarter of a century!  But, we still enjoy both main stars - of course, unbelievable escapes from the Federal Marshall service - excellent Roger Ebert Review for those not familiar w/ the story and the TV series years ago w/ David Janssen - recommended.

John Wick (2014) and John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) w/ Keanu Reeves as the super assassin John Wick - synopsis of the the first film below - both streamed from Amazon for just me - these are ACTION films w/ Wick killing dozens (and dozens!) of 'villains' after him, and using all sorts of deadly methods, including pencils - of course, these are fantasy films but I did enjoy both and plan to also stream the new third one out in the theaters now, when available - however, will not be purchases for me - BUT, Reeves somewhat limited acting style (IMO - although I loved the first Matrix film) fits nicely into this role.  Recommended if a fan of this genre - read the reviews if unsure.  Dave :)

Happy anniversary!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 15, 2019, 09:08:52 AM
Happy anniversary!

Thanks Karl - at our age, we had a relaxing time (no long strenuous mountain trails anymore), good eats (especially in the Village of Hot Springs), and even signed up for a Falconry introduction (couple pics of Linda, the falconer and a combo of us holding a Harris Hawk) - when we return will likely do an intermediary session w/ the birds (plenty of YouTube videos on the topic w/ some from the Homestead Resort).  Dave

P.S. the bird shown is a Harris Hawk and not a Falcon - my mistake (not a pro!) - seem similar but the falcons have more slender and pointed wings - some info HERE, for those interested - Harris Hawks are native to the southwest USA (and other countries) - Linda had 3 falcons, two hawks, and an amazing looking owl.

aligreto

Kieslowski: Dekalog, Part 3

This is a very absorbing film with a very simple and direct story line. The plot unfolds at a steady pace and the characters are very believable. There are some very fine and picturesque portraits of the main female protagonist included.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 15, 2019, 09:20:53 AM
Thanks Karl - at our age, we had a relaxing time (no long strenuous mountain trails anymore), good eats (especially in the Village of Hot Springs), and even signed up for a Falconry introduction (couple pics of Linda, the falconer and a combo of us holding a Harris Falcon) - when we return will likely do an intermediary session w/ the birds (plenty of YouTube videos on the topic w/ some from the Homestead Resort).  Dave

Nice idea Dave. I would like to give that a try sometime.

Ken B

Falcons make wonderful instruments of revenge. Just sayin'.

TD The Apartment

A very good Blu ray restoration. It holds up very well, even if the premise is (to pick an odd word that fits) obsolete. Wilder's last really outstanding movie, but I do have a real soft spot for The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on July 15, 2019, 12:12:56 PM
Falcons make wonderful instruments of revenge. Just sayin'.

TD The Apartment

A very good Blu ray restoration. It holds up very well, even if the premise is (to pick an odd word that fits) obsolete. Wilder's last really outstanding movie, but I do have a real soft spot for The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes.

I need to watch that one; in high school, I played in the pit for Promises, Promises, which I understand was an adaptation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Did the falcons have large talons?

(little movie humor)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Locke

One man driving alone through the night in his car and he is speaking on his car phone with regard to two rolling situations that are simultaneously unfolding and are having a significant impact on his life. It may not read like it is worth your time but it is definitely a wonderfully engrossing and engaging film and it is most certainly worth a watch.  It does, however, require your full attention.

ritter

A visit last Saturday to a very well presented exhibition on author and playwright Ödön von Horváth (1901 - 1938) at the Deutsches Theatermuseum in Munich led me to order Maximilian Schell's 1979 film adaptation of arguably Horváth's greatest play, Geschichten aus dem Wiener Wald (Tales from the Vienna Woods).

[asin]3902568992[/asin]

I had read the play (and other works by Horváth) with enthusiasm in my late teens, and has also seen the film in the cinema soon after its initial release. Watching it again now, some 30+ years later, was a great pleasure. Horváth's text, combining the kitsch and sentimental with a very acid social critique, is excellent (no wonder the author is now considered a "classic", and is a regular presence on German stages). In a certain way, he's a sort of Austro-German counterpart to his near contemporary Federico Garcïa Lorca). Schell's adaptation is very engaging, transferring the piece successfully to the screen without betraying its theatrical roots. Some of the acting is also superb, with the curiosity that this was the last appearance of actress Lil Dagover, who had been in movies since the 1910s and had appeared in classics such as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari).

Unfortunately, this (AFAIK only) transfer to DVD seems destined solely to the German-speaking market. The lack of subtitles in any language (not even in the original) meant that the Viennese accent and idioms required some getting used to for a fluent but non-native German speaker like myself.

Ken B

A Civil Action

1998, with John Travolta. A court case about contamination in Woburn Massachusetts. Not bad, could use some tightening. A slightly generous 7/10

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on July 18, 2019, 06:02:50 PM
A Civil Action

1998, with John Travolta. A court case about contamination in Woburn Massachusetts. Not bad, could use some tightening. A slightly generous 7/10

I still haven't seen it, it was before our time, we've lived in Woburn some 20-odd years.

Thread Duty:

You Will Meet a Tall, Dark Stranger.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Quote from: Ken B on July 18, 2019, 06:02:50 PM
A Civil Action

Sydney Pollack was wonderfully nasty in that, as I recall.

Ken B

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 18, 2019, 07:12:06 PM
Sydney Pollack was wonderfully nasty in that, as I recall.
He was. Behind the scenes too. "You call that directing?"

aligreto

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

This is an action packed period thriller. I like the fantasy of it.

SonicMan46

Well, we've been exploring the PBS channel on our Roku device lately, but I watched the two films below last few nights:

Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) w/ Henry Fonda, Claudette Colbert, et al; John Ford, director - short synopsis below - own on DVD and wish a good BD was available, but apparently the original technicolor elements no longer exist (story HERE) - I've watched this movie for years and still enjoy - recommended.

Music of the Heart (1999) w/ Meryl Streep, Aidan Quinn, Cloris Leachman, Gloria Estefan, & Angela Bassett - short synopsis second quote - based on a true story; somewhat mixed reviews - 6.8/10, IMDB; 63%, Rotten Tomatoes; 3/4, Roger Ebert (his comments HERE) - I still enjoy this 'documentary'; the scenes at the end w/ many famous violinists and the Carnegie Hall concert are especially enjoyable for me.  Dave :)

QuoteThe year is 1776, and newlyweds Gilbert (Henry Fonda) and Lana Martin (Claudette Colbert) have decided to take up a rural lifestyle. However, following the onset of the American Revolutionary War, the couple's quiet life in the Mohawk Valley is interrupted by violent attacks from Native Americans and Tories. The Martins refuse to succumb to the difficulties of their new life, though, as Lana takes on the responsibility of raising a child while Gilbert joins the colonists' militia.

QuoteAfter being abandoned by her husband, depressed music teacher Roberta (Meryl Streep) lands a job teaching violin to underprivileged children in Harlem, New York. Despite initial friction from school principal Janet Williams (Angela Bassett) and the students, the program succeeds and attracts public recognition. After 10 years, however, the program is suddenly shut down following budget cuts -- and Roberta, together with Williams and her former pupils, works to hold a fund-raising concert.

SimonNZ

aligreto

Kieslowski: Dekalog, Part 4

This is a very intense film about a relationship between two people which changes upon the discovery of a letter. However, things may not be exactly as they seem and the unfolding of the drama is quite absorbing, very well acted out and well filmed.

Madiel

Next offering at the Scandinavian Film Festival was considerably better.

Out Stealing Horses (Ut og stjæle hester) is apparently a rather popular novel, translated from Norwegian. I haven't read the book, but a couple of people sitting near me were overheard at the end saying they thought the film captured the novel very well.

And I certainly enjoyed the film on its own merits. It's an older man remembering events from the summer he was 15 years old, partially triggered by an encounter with someone from his part.

The way that information is gradually revealed (sometimes slightly out of order, but easy enough to follow) made for a pretty engaging experience. And there's some fine cinematography.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Last night I watched The Revenant for the first time.

I was not over awed by it but there was some wonderful scenery and some very fine cinematography on show.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on July 21, 2019, 06:57:26 AM
Last night I watched The Revenant for the first time.

I was not over awed by it but there was some wonderful scenery and some very fine cinematography on show.

Wife & I saw the film on the BIG screen (maybe even IMAX?) on release and were bowled over by the scenery (we've been to Alberta & British Columbia - scenes were shot in many beautiful locations - quote below from Wiki) - the bear attack and subsequent survival events were also quite 'realistic' but not the strongest part of the movie for us - do not own the DVD or BD - just would not be the same on my 42" HDTV and did not care to really see again; however, nominated for 12 Oscars and winner of 3, including 'Best Cinematography', well deserved in my mind.  Dave

QuoteThe film was shot in twelve locations in three countries: Canada, the United States, and Argentina. In Canada, filming took place in Calgary and Fortress Mountain in Alberta, in Kananaskis Country west of Calgary, the Badlands near Drumheller, and at Squamish and Mammoth Studios, Burnaby, in British Columbia. The scenes in the waterfall were filmed at the Kootenai Falls near Libby, Montana. While the initial plan was to film entirely in Canada, the weather was ultimately too warm, leading the filmmakers to locations near the Rio Olivia at the tip of Argentina with snow on the ground, to shoot the film's ending.