Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on August 17, 2019, 05:29:46 AM
Kieslowski: Dekalog, Part 7

This is the story of a young woman and her tragic relationship with both her mother and her child.

That's the one about Stealing? That might have been my favorite of all ten, as the concepts of who was and is stealing from who, and how they are "stealing" was particularly multi-faceted, subtle and ultimately evenhanded.

aligreto

Behind Enemy Lines

A stylised [code here for lacking in any real content or substance] war film set during the Serbian/Bosnian war. It is the usual Hollywood formula; Good triumphs over Evil and we all fly into the golden sunset at the end [literally]. Some may enjoy it. 

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 17, 2019, 04:54:05 PM

That's the one about Stealing? That might have been my favorite of all ten, as the concepts of who was and had is stealing from who and how was particularly multi-faceted, subtle and evenhanded.

Yes, a very good film indeed. As I go through the series I would find it difficult to pick out a favourite myself. They are all so good, engrossing and different from one another.

Madiel

I must get back in to Dekalog. I rewatched the first 2 and then didn't continue. Was considering whether to buy the series, as one of the most recent re-releases looked as if it might have finally solved some of the things that put me off buying it before.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on July 15, 2019, 08:06:24 AM
Dr. Zhivago

I had not watched this in many years and I still enjoyed it.

High time I revisited this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: Madiel on August 18, 2019, 03:26:45 PM
I must get back in to Dekalog. I rewatched the first 2 and then didn't continue. Was considering whether to buy the series, as one of the most recent re-releases looked as if it might have finally solved some of the things that put me off buying it before.

I think they are definitely worth a watch. There is a lot of Life there, and not in a melodramatic way. Most engaging viewing I think.

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 19, 2019, 06:31:33 PM

High time I revisited this.

I think that you would enjoy it Karl. However, it does require a time commitment, but it is worth the investment I feel.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on August 20, 2019, 01:00:21 PM
I think that you would enjoy it Karl. However, it does require a time commitment, but it is worth the investment I feel.

Watching this will trick me into thinking the weather cooler than it is . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

The Beguiled

This is a story set in the American Civil War. It has a good storyline and a good performance from Kidman. However, this also has to be the worst performance I have seen from Colin Farrel by a long way. His attempt to portray both an Irishman and a Dubliner is both pathetic and ironic. Does one blame the actor or the director?

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 20, 2019, 05:01:39 PM
Watching this will trick me into thinking the weather cooler than it is . . .

The power of suggestion!

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on August 21, 2019, 08:42:06 AM
The Beguiled

This is a story set in the American Civil War. It has a good storyline and a good performance from Kidman. However, this also has to be the worst performance I have seen from Colin Farrel by a long way. His attempt to portray both an Irishman and a Dubliner is both pathetic and ironic. Does one blame the actor or the director?

The recent film is a remake from 1971 (inserted above) with Clint Eastwood (in his regualr voice, as I recall), Geraldine Page, Elizabeth Hartman et al - story line about the same - believe that I like Clint in this role but was not interested enough to watch again so do not own.

BTW, Susan & I are on a short mountain trip in a cabin 4700+ ft high with a spectacular view of Grandfather Mountain - about 2 hrs from home near Banner Elk - we left our house in 93º+F heat and arrived w/ a temp of 72ºF - will return tomorrow and be posting more again.  Dave

P.S. pic last night at dusk from our cabin deck!

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on July 15, 2019, 08:06:24 AM
Dr. Zhivago

I had not watched this in many years and I still enjoyed it.

Watched this again today. Absolutely wonderful.  Last time I saw it, I was in Junior High, our Social Studies teachers took us on a field trip to the cinema. The movie made a great impression on me then. Not surprisingly,I love it even more, as an adult.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 23, 2019, 07:10:13 PM
Watched this again today. Absolutely wonderful.  Last time I saw it, I was in Junior High, our Social Studies teachers took us on a field trip to the cinema. The movie made a great impression on me then. Not surprisingly,I love it even more, as an adult.

I need to watch that. I saw it...well, probably about the same time you did. The only memory I have is the ending, with Zhivago collapsing on the street.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

greg

I know this is supposed to be a good movie, but I found it extremely cringey and stupid.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

aligreto

Money

This is an interesting psychological thriller about a theft, or two, that does not go quite according to plan. It is worth a watch.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 22, 2019, 05:05:49 AM

BTW, Susan & I are on a short mountain trip in a cabin 4700+ ft high with a spectacular view of Grandfather Mountain - about 2 hrs from home near Banner Elk - we left our house in 93º+F heat and arrived w/ a temp of 72ºF - will return tomorrow and be posting more again.  Dave

P.S. pic last night at dusk from our cabin deck!

Looks and sounds wonderful Dave. I hope that you both enjoyed your trip.

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 23, 2019, 07:10:13 PM

That is great Karl. I am delighted that you enjoyed it. Sometimes when one re-watches a film that one has enjoyed many years previously one can be disappointed.

greg

Finally got around to this one  :P

It's definitely a good one, would recommend it.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ken B

Quote from: greg on August 24, 2019, 08:37:13 PM

I know this is supposed to be a good movie, but I found it extremely cringey and stupid.
Yes, it's awful.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA