Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 25, 2019, 06:23:50 PM
Thanks, both, for taking one for the team.
I saw a video analysis on Gangs of New York and it honestly looked good. So actually was a bit surprised at how dumb it was. Especially probably the worst romance I've ever seen. Who the hell starts romancing someone who steals stuff from you and burglarizes places? We're supposed to care about the main character? Wtf?  ???

Ok, I know everyone has seen this movie here as I've seen this posted countless times in this thread but after having an eye on it for over 5 years I finally got around to watching it.

Pretty good. A bit silly, but surely entertaining.

And definitely in line with my current curiosity with sociopaths. It seems like some sort of treatment should exist by now, but why not? Not as in the movie, but just seems like what would work is elevating cortisol levels or whatever controls it. So funny about how I used to see so many commercials about medication for high cortisol levels which end up causing obesity and depression. Too little of it and you get this. Talk about something that needs to balanced.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

aligreto

A Simple Favour

This one is certainly different and is worth a watch.

Karl Henning

It must be Russian Epic Week here. I've also just re-watched the Ponti/de Laurentiis War & Peace
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Ken B on August 25, 2019, 02:34:35 PM
Yes, it's awful.

RE: Gangs of New York - yep, I was able to 'sit through' the film, but it's not in my video collection -  :laugh:  Dave

greg

I was a bit afraid it would be dumb and unfunny but it is just dumb and funny which is good enough for me! 😁

Enjoyable though some back story would have been nice.

I would definitely end up becoming an animal if I were in that place. 😣

greg

Didn't catch it in theaters, but saw it just now. Pretty cool movie.

SonicMan46

A Foreign Affair (1948) w/ Jean Arthur, Marlene Dietrich, & John Lund; Billy Wilder, Director - a new BD addition to my collection - as some know here, I'm a BIG fan of Jean Arthur (1900-1991) - a list of her films from 1936 to 1953 below (her last one being Shane - although she went on to TV; also lived in my home town awhile, associated w/ the NC School of the Arts).

Short synopsis below - down the list from her best efforts but still enjoyable, especially the interaction w/ Dietrich, who played her role flawlessly (a little too much singing, as usual!) - despite being 48 years old in this movie, Jean (and Marlene for that matter) still looked great and that adorable voice was the same - recommended for fans of these two gals; also, location filming in post-WW II Berlin was startling.  Dave

QuoteA Foreign Affair is a 1948 American romantic comedy film directed by Billy Wilder and starring Jean Arthur, Marlene Dietrich, and John Lund. The screenplay by Wilder, Charles Brackett, and Richard L. Breen is based on a story by David Shaw adapted by Robert Harari. The film is about a United States Army captain in occupied Berlin who is torn between an ex-Nazi cafe singer and the United States congresswoman investigating her. Though a comedy, the overall project had a cynical, serious tone. (Source)

Karl Henning

Watched Sleeper again last night.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

greg

Silly movie with ridiculous effects. Can't say I felt strongly either way about any of it, though the ending scene was really corny.

It was okay, I guess. Unfortunately I just don't get scared at all at movies, which might prevent me from actually getting into horror, which I've kind of wanted to get in to. I actually enjoy my nightmares, so the horror genre might be a tough sell.  :-\ But I guess they can still be worth watching just to explore some of the various storylines/monster designs/unique plots/etc.

I really do appreciate the astral projection aspect of the movie, though, as someone who has done that quite a few times in the past.  8)

greg

First watch... (appropriate to wait until now considering where I live now)... yeah, still yet to find a horror movie that is actually scary. But this is a pretty good movie.  :)

At the last jump scare my heart skipped a beat, but that was it. And when he accidentally chainsaws himself, that was pretty funny.  ;D

aligreto

Kieslowski: Dekalog, Part 8

This film is quite a touching and captivating story of an attempt at reconciliation of both the past and the people in it.

Karl Henning

Taxi Driver. Although I could say that I watched it mostly to hear Herrmann's score; is also true that I enjoyed the movie better than before.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Quote from: greg on August 25, 2019, 06:54:22 PM

Ok, I know everyone has seen this movie here as I've seen this posted countless times in this thread but after having an eye on it for over 5 years I finally got around to watching it.

Pretty good. A bit silly, but surely entertaining.

It never occurred to me before that the film was silly. It's still not occurring to me. A plausible criticism is that it's an exploitation film designed by a mad philosophy professor, partially redeemed by the seriousness of the ideas. Some people might find it exceedingly unpleasant.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: drogulus on August 30, 2019, 09:51:25 AM
     It never occurred to me before that the film was silly. It's still not occurring to me. A plausible criticism is that it's an exploitation film designed by a mad philosophy professor, partially redeemed by the seriousness of the ideas. Some people might find it exceedingly unpleasant.
Exploitation against who? The protagonist?

I'm not sure why I find it silly- it just feels silly. The goofy costumes and the main character reaping what he sows... like if you are going to go on a madness spree, then either learn how to either lucid dream or suicide quickly after doing crimes. The main character just isn't believable at all tbh. Really, none of the movie is.

drogulus

Quote from: greg on August 30, 2019, 10:17:33 AM
Exploitation against who? The protagonist?

An exploitation film is "a film that attempts to succeed financially by exploiting current trends, niche genres, or lurid content. Exploitation films are generally low-quality "B movies"."

So, what if the mad professor goes to see an exploitation film and decides to make one but puts his ideas in? Note the ideas aren't mad, putting them into an exploitation film is.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: drogulus on August 30, 2019, 06:52:45 PM
    An exploitation film is "a film that attempts to succeed financially by exploiting current trends, niche genres, or lurid content. Exploitation films are generally low-quality "B movies"."

So, what if the mad professor goes to see an exploitation film and decides to make one but puts his ideas in? Note the ideas aren't mad, putting them into an exploitation film is.
So I guess this one would fall under the lurid content category then? (the other two wouldn't make sense)

Perhaps since I'm not familiar with exploitation films then I couldn't imagine it being just that.  :P The plot is very cohesive, so the ideas didn't seem out of place to me.

Average. Exorcism scene was nice. But will ultimately be forgettable among all of the other haunted house stories (especially after just watching Insidious).

This is a type of movie I never end up watching since I'm not a gore fan, but it will still pretty good. It was pretty goofy yet extremely sick and twisted at the same time. I like evil clowns (for example, Sweet Tooth from the Twisted Metal series), too, so that helps.

Now this one was great! This one will be a movie to remember. It felt like this could literally have been a video a recording of some dream I've had in my lifetime. And I LOVE dreams like that! Just pure chaos and panic, it's very exhilarating.

Todd

The Mule.  Boring, pointless, and centered around a loathsome character.  Eastwood should just retire.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

mc ukrneal

Aquaman. A total dud. You know there's a problem when Dolph Lundgren ends up being the second best actor in the movie!!

[asin]B07GW2ZW5K[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 25, 2019, 06:23:50 PM
Thanks, both, for taking one for the team.
This one should count double — taking two for the team.

Karl Henning

Last night: Inglorious Bastards (never can remember his misspellings)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA