Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on December 03, 2019, 10:08:58 AM
Want a better David Niven movie? Bachelor Mother, with Ginger Rogers. Trust me.

Noted, thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Ken B on December 03, 2019, 10:08:58 AM
Want a better David Niven movie? Bachelor Mother, with Ginger Rogers. Trust me.

Hi Ken - love that film!  Own as a DVD-R burned from TCM years ago - Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, I've not posted in a while, but have been watching the films below over the last 3-4 days:

Eleanor and Franklin (1976) w/ Edward Herrmann as Franklin D. Roosevelt and Jane Alexander as Eleanor Roosevelt - the early years; despite its age still an excellent watch for Roosevelt fans - believe a follow-up was made which we've not seen.

Warm Springs (2005) w/ Kenneth Branagh and Cynthia Nixon as Franklin & Eleanor; well done portrayal of FDR's struggle w/ his paralysis emphasizing his relationship with Warm Springs, Georgia - highly recommended, if not seen.

Hopscotch (1980) w/ Walter Matthau, Glenda Jackson, Ned Beatty, and Sam Waterston - a favorite of mine that Susan enjoyed - have owned this movie from VHS > DVD > BD (by Criterion) - just a funny romp - see synopsis below - again highly recommended.

Hildalgo (2004) w/ Viggo Mortensen & Omar Sharif - short second synopsis below - mixed reviews but a film that we enjoy - horse lovers (and previous riders in our younger years - miss it!) - recommended if the story is of interest - a bioptic w/ some debatable facts?  Dave :)

QuoteWhen CIA operative Miles Kendig (Walter Matthau) deliberately lets KGB agent Yaskov (Herbert Lom) get away, his boss (Ned Beatty) threatens to retire him. Kendig beats him to it, however, destroying his own records and traveling to Austria where he begins work on a memoir that will expose all his former agency's covert practices. The CIA catches wind of the book and sends other agents after him, initiating a frenetic game of cat and mouse that spans the globe.

QuoteRugged cowboy Frank Hopkins (Viggo Mortensen) is an expert horseman who performs in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. When affluent Sheik Riyadh (Omar Sharif), piqued by tales of Hopkins' talent, challenges Hopkins to prove himself in a treacherous long-distance horse race called the Ocean of Fire, Hopkins is forced to oblige. In the Middle East with his American mustang, he must race against thoroughbred horses ridden by the best riders in the world with his reputation -- and his life -- at stake.

aligreto

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Entertaining enough fantasy

Karl Henning

Tim Burton began as a visionary, and settled into a franchise.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 04, 2019, 07:54:53 AM
Tim Burton began as a visionary, and settled into a franchise.
Yeah but he bagged Helena Bonham Carter, so not a bad trade!

Franken weenie still rules.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on December 04, 2019, 08:24:55 AM
Yeah but he bagged Helena Bonham Carter, so not a bad trade!

Franken weenie still rules.

Mister Whiskers?!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

This is the best thing I've seen this year. it's simply marvelous filmmaking. Driver and Johansson deliver heartbreaking, indelible performances and the script and direction seem effortlessly effective.     

George

Quote from: milk on December 07, 2019, 02:48:58 PM

This is the best thing I've seen this year. it's simply marvelous filmmaking. Driver and Johansson deliver heartbreaking, indelible performances and the script and direction seem effortlessly effective.   

I couldn't agree more. Just saw it and thought it was excellent!!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

milk

Quote from: George on December 07, 2019, 04:56:47 PM
I couldn't agree more. Just saw it and thought it was excellent!!
It's rare these days that a movie sticks with me this way - I'm still processing the feelings. And I'd never heard the Sondheim song "Being Alive" before.
This movie packs an emotional punch.
Feels like a Driver shot to stardom overnight. He deserves it. And Johansson also showed why most superstar actors probably deserve where they are: she portrays a deep and realistic humanity that you can almost touch.

George

Quote from: milk on December 07, 2019, 07:42:42 PM
It's rare these days that a movie sticks with me this way - I'm still processing the feelings. And I'd never heard the Sondheim song "Being Alive" before.
This movie packs an emotional punch.
Feels like a Driver shot to stardom overnight. He deserves it. And Johansson also showed why most superstar actors probably deserve where they are: she portrays a deep and realistic humanity that you can almost touch.

Yeah, they were incredible.

And i thought the casting was great, from Alan Alda to Liotta to a few brilliant comedic choices, like Martha from Baskets as the evaluator and this guy as the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SChzDT3L9M

milk

Quote from: George on December 07, 2019, 07:49:47 PM
Yeah, they were incredible.

And i thought the casting was great, from Alan Alda to Liotta to a few brilliant comedic choices, like Martha from Baskets as the evaluator and this guy as the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SChzDT3L9M
Ha ha ha! He's from the Mighty Boosh and played a waiter on Curb. I'm surprised another person noticed him.

George

Quote from: milk on December 07, 2019, 10:51:20 PM
Ha ha ha! He's from the Mighty Boosh and played a waiter on Curb. I'm surprised another person noticed him.

He was also on Snuff Box, an underrated, hilarious British show. The link I posted above is from that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AqDbb7-dn9A

aligreto

The Blind Side

I don't like American football. I watched this because Sandra Bullock starred in it. I enjoyed it quite a lot. It wasn't focused on American football rather on the relevant people involved. Great performances from everyone involved and well worth a watch.

Ken B

Quote from: aligreto on December 08, 2019, 05:51:42 AM
The Blind Side

I don't like American football. I watched this because Sandra Bullock starred in it. I enjoyed it quite a lot. It wasn't focused on American football rather on the relevant people involved. Great performances from everyone involved and well worth a watch.
Yup. Quite a good movie. The book is better though.

aligreto

Quote from: Ken B on December 08, 2019, 07:08:52 AM
Yup. Quite a good movie. The book is better though.

Cheers. I was unaware that it was derived from literature. I must look out for the book as it is something that I think my wife would like to read. Thank you for the comment.

Ken B

Quote from: aligreto on December 08, 2019, 07:40:45 AM
Cheers. I was unaware that it was derived from literature. I must look out for the book as it is something that I think my wife would like to read. Thank you for the comment.
It's by Michael Lewis, the Moneyball guy.

aligreto

Quote from: Ken B on December 08, 2019, 07:42:56 AM
It's by Michael Lewis, the Moneyball guy.

Cheers and thank you.

ritter

I had read Eric Ambler's The Mask of Dimitrios many years ago, but only now got around to watching the film.

The film was nice to watch, with quaint Hollywood recreations of exotic Eastern European locations, but TBH I remember the book being much more gripping then the movie.

Ken B

Quote from: ritter on December 08, 2019, 11:19:50 AM
I had read Eric Ambler's The Mask of Dimitrios many years ago, but only now got around to watching the film.

The film was nice to watch, with quaint Hollywood recreations of exotic Eastern European locations, but TBH I remember the book being much more gripping then the movie.

Well yes the book is better — I reread it a few years ago — but the movie is fun. Greenstreet and Lorre!