Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

To Kill a Mockingbird

Great performances from the children in particular.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

LKB

Quote from: aligreto on February 09, 2020, 04:08:19 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird

Great performances from the children in particular.

An extraordinary film. I saw it first as a young boy during its original theatrical release, and even then was captivated by Peck's performance. And yes, the children were terrific.

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on February 09, 2020, 05:23:43 AM

Awesome stuff!

Well, last night at the Oscars, the film won BEST PICTURE!  A first, i.e. that award given to a non-English speaking film - now, we saw 7 or the 9 nominees including 1917 & Parasite, two completely difference experiences - we liked both.  Dave

aligreto

84 Charing Cross Road

I have seen this film a number of time and I always enjoy it. I really must read the book though. Has anybody read it?

aligreto

Quote from: LKB on February 10, 2020, 01:38:22 PM

An extraordinary film. I saw it first as a young boy during its original theatrical release, and even then was captivated by Peck's performance. And yes, the children were terrific.

LKB

Cheers LBK. Yes, Peck's was indeed a very fine performance. The whole atmosphere of the film was captivating. It was aired on TV here recently and it was given a health warning prior to screening something to the effect that "Some viewers may find the attitudes of the time upsetting".

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on February 11, 2020, 02:40:52 AM
84 Charing Cross Road

I have seen this film a number of time and I always enjoy it. I really must read the book though. Has anybody read it?

Yes. The film follows the book very closely and the letters are faithfully quoted. You'll get more of whats in the film, but actually not so very much more.

aligreto

The Island

The ultimate in deceit?

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 11, 2020, 12:17:11 PM
Yes. The film follows the book very closely and the letters are faithfully quoted. You'll get more of whats in the film, but actually not so very much more.

Thank you and good to know.

Mirror Image

Watched this last night with my dad:

Both of us are huge fans of there Terminator film series and we both agreed that this was one of the better ones we've seen. Much better than the last film we watched which was Terminator: Genisys.

SonicMan46

Last night, Susan & I watch the recent Oscar nominee below & over a week or so, I viewed the Lethal Weapon Collection:

Ford v. Ferrari w/ Matt Damon & Christian Bale; short synopsis below based on a true story; reviews: 8.2/10, IMDB; 92% Rotten Tomatoes - nominated for 4 Oscars, including Best Picture, and winner of 2 (Best Film & Sound Editing) - we enjoyed w/ some of the best racing action that I've seen in years - I'd easily do a 4*/5* on Amazon - recommended!

Lethal Weapon Collection (1987-1998) w/ Mel Gibson & Danny Glover, but Joe Pesci and Rene Russo showing up later - favorites are the first two, but the latter two stars mentioned make for fun entertainment - Dave :)

QuoteAmerican automotive designer Carroll Shelby and fearless British race car driver Ken Miles battle corporate interference, the laws of physics and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary vehicle for the Ford Motor Co. Together, they plan to compete against the race cars of Enzo Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France in 1966.

aligreto

Roman J Israel Esq.

This one is definitely worth your time. Great characterisation and wonderful acting from Washington.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on February 11, 2020, 02:45:55 AM
Cheers LBK. Yes, Peck's was indeed a very fine performance. The whole atmosphere of the film was captivating. It was aired on TV here recently and it was given a health warning prior to screening something to the effect that "Some viewers may find the attitudes of the time upsetting".
Also great soundtrack by Elmer Bernstein. Watched it as a child with my parents and now it is one of my daughter's favourite films. Robert Duvall makes an unforgettable film debut as 'Boo' Radley.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on February 15, 2020, 09:56:38 AM
Also great soundtrack by Elmer Bernstein. Watched it as a child with my parents and now it is one of my daughter's favourite films. Robert Duvall makes an unforgettable film debut as 'Boo' Radley.

I must admit that I never once noticed the soundtrack.
It is great that this film is transcending the generations.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2020, 11:16:45 AM
Saw it last night, in our local cinema, big room, 1100+ seats, with son Oscar (13), a World War I expert. Oscar and I liked the enscenering & acting - both fabulous, very inspiring - but not so much the movie as such.

Very much Hollywood (though British, but we should've known, never saw a movie winning three Oscars worth seeing at all, IRCC and I think I do), hardly credible story, certainly spectacular but not moving at all, about as dull as anything 'Hollywood-like' we saw all these years.

All in all a disappointment for both of us - we 'ld rather recommend Midway instead (though American, simply sublime, very moving, everything 1917 appears to be lacking, notwithstanding its >100 billion $ budget).  :-[

Well, the 'Best Picture' Oscar went to Parasite which wife and I enjoyed more for the story and the characters - I would not disagree w/ your thoughts on 1917, i.e. I was most impressed w/ seeing the film on a BIG screen, the specials, and cinematography.

As to the 'new' Midway, the reviews were so negative that I did not bother seeing the film (will stream and I know will not be the same) - I own the older film but not great - my favorite story of the Battle of Midway is National Geographic's documentary w/ Bob Ballard finding the sunken ships; combines discovery footage (and several Japanese & American sailors who fought) w/ actual film from the battle - may not be for everyone but 'up my alley' - Dave :)

Iota

Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2020, 11:16:45 AM
Saw it last night, in our local cinema, big room, 1100+ seats, with son Oscar (13), a World War I expert. Oscar and I liked the enscenering & acting - both fabulous, very inspiring - but not so much the movie as such.

Very much Hollywood (though British, but we should've known, never saw a movie winning three Oscars worth seeing at all, IRCC and I think I do), hardly credible story, certainly spectacular but not moving at all, about as dull as anything 'Hollywood-like' we saw all these years.

All in all a disappointment for both of us - we 'ld rather recommend Midway instead (though American, simply sublime, very moving, everything 1917 appears to be lacking, notwithstanding its >100 billion $ budget).  :-[

I certainly found '1917' technically impressive, as for example in the stirring scene when he makes a final dash to try and prevent the last wave of the attack. And the impression of it being shot in one take, certainly gave the narrative momentum an immediacy and a strong drive. But I felt the characters seemed to have little in the way of tangible inner lives as such, and the horror of the situation felt somewhat prettified at times, and ultimately for me it was a rather empty experience, notwithstanding some memorable moments.

drogulus

Last night I watched Train to Busan, a very Korean zombie film.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

aligreto

Breakdown

Not overly gripping but worth a watch

SonicMan46

Well, over the last week or so, Susan has been watching 'old' films from my DVD/BD collection and enjoying (of course, her choices!):

Laura (1944) w/ Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price, & Judith Anderson - classic film noir murder mystery w/ the ever gorgeous Gene Tierney.

Lost Horizon (1937) w/ Ronald Colman, Jane Wyatt, Edward Everett Horton, Thomas Mitchell, Sam Jaffe - "..a small group of civilians crash land in the Himalayas, and are rescued by the people of the mysterious, Eden-like valley of Shangri-la." (IMDB) - own a number of Colman films and have always loved his voice; not a complete video restoration, but all of the audio is present.

Long Gray Line, The (1955) w/ Tyrone Power, Maureen O'Hara, Ward Bond, & Donald Crisp - short synopsis below; about Martin ('Marty') Maher - if a fan of West Point (have done just one visit), this Irish immigrant became a sort of legend there - highly recommended, as are the others.

Magnificent Ambersons, The (1942) w/ Joseph Cotton, Dolores Costello, Anne Baxter, Tim Holt, & Agnes Moorehead; narrated by Orson Welles - second synopsis below if not familiar w/ the film - based on Booth Tarkington's 1918 Pulitzer winning novel; Welles started as director and was basically fired (short Wiki summary, if interested); over an hour of additional footage was cut and destroyed and a happier ending added.  The Criterion production is outstanding and includes a 55 page booklet (which I've not read) that discusses the controversial making of the picture; again, highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteThe life story of a salt-of-the-earth Irish immigrant, who becomes an Army Noncommissioned Officer and spends his 50 year career at the United States Military Academy at West Point. This includes his job-related experiences as well as his family life and the relationships he develops with young cadets whom he befriends. Based on the life of a real person. (IMDB)

QuoteThe young, handsome, but somewhat wild Eugene Morgan wants to marry Isabel Amberson, daughter of a rich upper-class family, but she instead marries dull and steady Wilbur Minafer. Their only child, George, grows up a spoiled brat. Years later, Eugene comes back, now a mature widower and a successful automobile maker. After Wilbur dies, Eugene again asks Isabel to marry him, and she is receptive. But George resents the attentions paid to his mother, and he and his whacko aunt Fanny manage to sabotage the romance. A series of disasters befall the Ambersons and George, and he gets his come-uppance in the end. (IMDB)

Christo

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 05, 2020, 01:52:02 PM
Wife & I saw '1917' on the big screen on release - impressive!  I do not plan to 'buy' the film, just would not be the same on my 42" HDTV (need a media room?) - Oscars are this Sunday and 9 films are in the 'Best Picture' category (quoted below - Source) - in USA Today this morning, their yearly 'Who will win vs. who should win' put '1917' in the win category, although they preferred 'Jojo Rabbit' - we've seen 5 of the 9 films, so far.  Dave :)

Saw it last night, in our local cinema, big room, 1100+ seats, with son Oscar (13), a World War I expert. Oscar and I liked the mise-en-scène & acting - both fabulous, very inspiring - but not so much the movie as such.
Very much Hollywood (though British, but we should 've known, never saw a movie winning three Oscars worth seeing at all, IRCC & think I do), hardly credible story, certainly spectacular but not moving, about as dull as anything Hollywood-like.
All in all a disappointment for both of us - we 'ld rather recommend Midway instead (though American simply sublime, very moving, everything 1917 appears to be lacking, notwithstanding its >100 billion $ budget).  :-[

BTW heard today a friend reporting back after seeing the other big Oscar winner, the Korean movie 'Parasite'; absolute disaster, according to him, just more 'Hollywood' again. I guess I won't even try.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948