Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 19, 2020, 11:14:50 AM
Hi Jeffrey - yes indeed the beautiful Dana! Assume that image was between takes of the movie - Johnny Horton was a popular country western singer and made a number of these story/history songs, including Johnny Reb, Sink the Bismarck, North to Alaska, and Battle of New Orleans - I own the 2-CD compilation of his songs shown below - he died tragically in an auto accident at the age of 35 years - more detail quoted below.  Dave

P.S. in my movie collection is the BD of the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, a classic 1950s Sci-Fi thriller and excellent blu-ray production; remade in 1978 w/ Donald Sutherland - I prefer the first one, but the second one is good also as I recall.

Thanks Dave.
My brother was aware of the song. Sad about Johnny Horton dying tragically in a crash. Maybe one reason why I was unaware of him. I've watched the trailers of 'Invasion of the Body Snathchers' on YouTube and can confirm that this is very much my cup-of-tea as I love old B and W horror films. My wife can't stand them so my daughter and I watch them together 'Dead of Night' is probably our favourite. Do you know it? It features a portmanteau of different stories including Michael Redgrave as a deranged ventriloquist - see below, (the idea was copied in the film 'Magic' with Anthony Hopkins). I don't have a blu-ray machine but I'll look out for the Body Snatchers on DVD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Quote from: vandermolen on February 19, 2020, 10:19:58 PM
Thanks Dave.
My brother was aware of the song. Sad about Johnny Horton dying tragically in a crash. Maybe one reason why I was unaware of him. I've watched the trailers of 'Invasion of the Body Snathchers' on YouTube and can confirm that this is very much my cup-of-tea as I love old B and W horror films. My wife can't stand them so my daughter and I watch them together 'Dead of Night' is probably our favourite. Do you know it? It features a portmanteau of different stories including Michael Redgrave as a deranged ventriloquist - see below, (the idea was copied in the film 'Magic' with Anthony Hopkins). I don't have a blu-ray machine but I'll look out for the Body Snatchers on DVD.

Hi again Jeffrey - if you like the Horton song and if not done, listen to some of his other 'saga' ballads like the Battle of New Orleans & North to Alaska (song in the movie of the same name w/ John Wayne & Stewart Granger, which I own).  I must admit that I've not watched Dead of Night but will be on the lookout!

Concerning 1950s sci-fi movies, I was looking at this Wiki List of nearly 200 films made in that decade under this 'category' - I own only 8 of these films (listed below), so those must be my favorites!  BTW, blu-ray players are really cheap these days and are back compatible w/ many formats (my Sony plays CDs, SACD, MP3, DVD, BD, etc); of course, you'll want a widescreen HDTV, but those have also really dropped in price, esp. for the smaller ones (in 2011, my LG 42" HDTV LED 1080p was $900 USD, a similar model on Amazon now runs about $300; of course, the prices go up w/ the newer technologies, size, and resolutions nowadays).  Dave :)

QuoteThe Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) w/ Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal et al
The War of the Worlds (1953) w/ Gene Barry, Ann Robinson, et al
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) w/ Kirk Douglas & James Mason
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) w/ Richard Carlson, Julie Adams, et al
Them! (1954) w/ James Whitmore, Edmund Gwenn, Joan Weldon, & James Arness
Forbidden Planet (1956) w/ Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, & Leslie Nielsen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) w/ Kevin McCarthy & Dana Wynter
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) w/ Pat Boone, James Mason, Arlene Dahl

aligreto

Run Wild Run Free

A heartwarming story of a young boy who decides not to speak and his affinity with the wilds of the moors. Most enjoyable.

SonicMan46

Last night, I streamed the films below off Amazon:

Midway (2019) w/ Ed Skrein, Patrick Wilson, Woody Harrelson, Dennis Quaid, et al - decided not to see this film on the BIG screen because of the the rather poor reviews, e.g. 42% on Rotten Tomatoes (BUT 92% for the audience); 6.7/10, IMDB; 4.1/5, Amazon - I did not expect this to be a good film from the ratings, but the story line was done well starting w/ Pearl Harbor, and the specials were in general spectacular although overdone IMO in the dive bombing scenes; putting John Ford on Midway was a special touch.  At the moment, I'm hovering between a 3* to 4* rating on Amazon, hence 3 1/2* - however, I would recommend the movie, especially to history buffs, i.e. Midway was the most important American naval victory in history.

Ike: Countdown to D-Day (2004) w/ Tom Selleck and many others - the few months in England before the June 6 D-Day invasion w/ emphasis on Eisenhower, his staff, and the decisions that needed to be made - no major war scenes which made dissuade some (for that point of view, I would suggest The Longest Day, 1962) - this was my second watch after many years and enjoyed.  Recommended if the description is of interest.  Dave :)

SimonNZ

its was an interesting indie take on a Hollywood gengre, let down by the ending which was just formulaic Hollywood

SonicMan46

Last few nights, some more films from my DVD/BD collection:

Love Me Tonight (1932) - pre-code American comedy w/ Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald, Charles Ruggles, Charles Butterworth, Myrna Loy - and music by Rodgers & Hart - love Hollywood's pre-code films (see scene shown below) which ended by the mid-30s. Plot is corny but the music is fabulous in a pioneering musical film, followed the next year by 42nd Street - highly recommended for fans of musicals (and pre-code Hollywood - ;)).

Maltese Falcon, The (1941) w/ Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, & Ward Bond - Bogart as the PI, Sam Spade who tries to figure out the 'mysterious' Astor while tracking down a statue of a black bird - I always had a 'thing' for Mary Astor who transitioned well from the silent to the sound era of Hollywood movies.

Manchurian Candidate, The (1962) w/ Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Angela Lansbury, and others - short synopsis below - this is a superb blu-ray production rating 5*/5* for both video & audio (HERE) - great performances by all w/ Angela receiving a Best Supporting Actress nomination (but not a winner).  Dave :)

QuoteThe Manchurian Candidate is a novel by Richard Condon, first published in 1959. It is a political thriller about the son of a prominent U.S. political family who is brainwashed into being an unwitting assassin for a Communist conspiracy.

drogulus

Whoa! I'm on it.

I have the Criterion edition of Seconds, which is my favorite Frankenheimer film.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

aligreto

The Fisher King

I have not seen this one in quite a long time. Superlative performances from all concerned but especially from Williams.

Christo

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 19, 2020, 02:13:32 AM
Monty Python's Life of Brian and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Some funny moments but uneven and it dragged a bit ...I prefer their sketches...  :-\

[asin]B00008RWS7[/asin]

[asin]B00005U0HG[/asin]

Oh, really love them - both. Couldn't be bettered.  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 20, 2020, 07:36:25 AM
Hi again Jeffrey - if you like the Horton song and if not done, listen to some of his other 'saga' ballads like the Battle of New Orleans & North to Alaska (song in the movie of the same name w/ John Wayne & Stewart Granger, which I own).  I must admit that I've not watched Dead of Night but will be on the lookout!

Concerning 1950s sci-fi movies, I was looking at this Wiki List of nearly 200 films made in that decade under this 'category' - I own only 8 of these films (listed below), so those must be my favorites!  BTW, blu-ray players are really cheap these days and are back compatible w/ many formats (my Sony plays CDs, SACD, MP3, DVD, BD, etc); of course, you'll want a widescreen HDTV, but those have also really dropped in price, esp. for the smaller ones (in 2011, my LG 42" HDTV LED 1080p was $900 USD, a similar model on Amazon now runs about $300; of course, the prices go up w/ the newer technologies, size, and resolutions nowadays).  Dave :)
Interesting Dave. Thanks. I was in HMV on Saturday and asked if they had the original 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' - he checked and apparently it has gone out of print. However, I can probably pick up a copy in expensively on Amazon. Oh yes, do look out for 'Dead of Night' - my favourite film of that sort.
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

The Gunman

This was a re-watch for me of a solid enough thriller with not too many cliches.

aligreto

The Substitute

When a mercenary turns teacher is it any wonder the mayhem that subsequently unleashes in the school? Don't bother; you have seen it all before in one guise or another.

aligreto

Shot Caller

A hard hitting and violent film about an ordinary man who ends up in goal and his subsequent journey through that institution and through Life and the decisions he makes along the way. A worthwhile watch.

Karl Henning

The In-laws
Alan Arkin, Peter Falk, Ed Begley, Jr.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

AlberichUndHagen

SonicMan46

SonicMan46

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) w/ Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany, et al - short synopsis below; nominated for 10 Academy Award, winner of just two (Best Cinematography & Sound Editing) - plenty of classical music in the score (see second quote) w/ Crowe (violin) & Bettany (cello) often doing duets - the Galapagos Island scenes where actually filmed on site, one reason to watch the film; Darwin would not visit until the 1830s.  If you're into wooden sailing ships, sea battles, and epic adventures, then highly recommended!  Dave :)

QuoteIn 1805, aboard the H.M.S. Surprise, the brash Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) and his trusted friend, the ship's scholarly surgeon, Stephen Maturin (Paul Bettany), are ordered to hunt down and capture a powerful French vessel off the South American coast. Though Napoleon is winning the war and the men and their crew face an onslaught of obstacles, including their own internal battles, "Lucky Jack" is determined that nothing will stop the Surprise from completing its mission.

QuoteThe score includes an assortment of baroque and classical music, notably the first of Johann Sebastian Bach's Suites for Unaccompanied Cello, Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007, played by Yo-Yo Ma; the Strassburg theme in the third movement of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 3; the third (Adagio) movement of Corelli's Christmas Concerto (Concerto grosso in G minor, Op. 6, No. '8'); and a recurring rendition of Ralph Vaughan Williams's Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis. The music played on cello before the end is Luigi Boccherini's String Quintet (Quintettino) for 2 violins, viola & 2 cellos in C major ("Musica notturna delle strade di Madrid"), G. 324 Op. 30. (Source)

André

Roman Polanski wins César award for best director for his film J'accuse. Reactions were mixed, to say the least. Movie icons Brigitte Bardot and Catherine Deneuve support him. Most of the industry doesn't.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/polanski-walkout-protest-metoo-cesar-awards-1.5480808

Karl Henning

Last night: Apocalypse Now Redux

The great takeaway now, of which I seem to have been only partly aware on my first two viewings is: what a superbly beautiful film this is to watch.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Enough

This is the tale of a wife beater and the wife who exacts her own revenge.