Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

GioCar

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 21, 2020, 01:08:15 AM

As good as I'd heard. But not knowing anything about it before watching I was surprised that it was set in Mexico (I thought it was Italy), it was set in the 1970s (I thought it was present day), and it was told from the point of view of the maid (and had a racial undercurrent).

The long single-shot beach scene and the riot scene were particularly impressive.

I was deeply moved by the failed birth scene in contrast with the beach scene. A powerful film.

SimonNZ

Quote from: GioCar on March 21, 2020, 11:35:49 PM
I was deeply moved by the failed birth scene in contrast with the beach scene. A powerful film.

Looking into the director just now I hadn't realized he was the one who made Gravity. I've also heard good things about Y Tu Mamá También but never seen it, so I'll have to make a point of it.

tonight:

Thinking pretty much what I thought the first time I saw it - a really good film let down somewhat by the heavy handed way they treated Jude Law's character. Had forgotten Jennifer Ehle was in it, and its always welcome to see her cast.

aligreto

Lying and Stealing

A stylish film that is worth a watch.

SimonNZ

third watch and still impressed

Daverz

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 24, 2020, 11:43:26 AM

third watch and still impressed

The only thing I remember from this film is Violante Placido's fabulous topless scene.

aligreto

Dead Man Down

The plot is somewhat predictable but this one has just a little more to offer than the norm.

j winter

Watched these with my Dad... not sure how I missed them when they came out, but they're a great deal of fun.  A bunch of fine actors having a good old-fashioned romp.. the sequel, unusually, may actually be even better than the original.

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

aligreto

Quote from: j winter on March 25, 2020, 05:54:30 AM
Watched these with my Dad... not sure how I missed them when they came out, but they're a great deal of fun.  A bunch of fine actors having a good old-fashioned romp.. the sequel, unusually, may actually be even better than the original.

Good stuff indeed  8)

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on March 25, 2020, 04:39:25 AM
Dead Man Down

The plot is somewhat predictable but this one has just a little more to offer than the norm.

Huh. As it happens I also watched that last night.

I must have seen it before because I remember Colin and Noomi watching each other from their balconies, but I'd forgotten everything else.

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 25, 2020, 11:42:03 AM

Huh. As it happens I also watched that last night.

I must have seen it before because I remember Colin and Noomi watching each other from their balconies, but I'd forgotten everything else.

I had also watched this one before but had also forgotten a lot of it prior to the re-watch. However, as the film progressed most of the scenes came back to me. Those balcony scenes were memorable for being so simple.

aligreto

Kursk The Last Mission

I remember the not too distant and very tragic real life events of the story in this very good film.

SimonNZ

I'd forgotten Cliff Curtis was in this. Always good to see him turn up in unexpected places.

aligreto

Outlawed

This is a fast paced crime thriller with plenty of action and a plot that requires you to stay awake in order to keep up [well, me anyway  ;D]. There is a lot going on here.

Mookalafalas

Watched "Knives Out" with the fam last night. We all enjoyed it.  I'm not a whodunnit fan, and this received such great reviews I was expecting a bit more, but it was certainly clever and entertaining, with a great cast.
It's all good...

greg

The Ring (2002).

It's been like 17-18 years since I saw, so entirely don't remember it, just that I liked it.

Not quite as good as I remember... but still fun.

Still kind of feeling like I'm not finding whatever I'm looking for in the horror genre...
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Madiel

Last night, A Separation

I had heard nothing but good things about this Iranian film which won the Oscar for best foreign film. It lived up to expectations. In some ways very painful to watch, because it consists almost entirely of arguments and people unraveling. But it's so well done. Excellent acting, well plotted, and things keep moving along.

Most of all it's incredibly good at making all the characters believable and a little ambivalent. You can understand points of view but also wish that people behaved differently.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

André

Quote from: Madiel on March 29, 2020, 09:51:00 PM
Last night, A Separation

I had heard nothing but good things about this Iranian film which won the Oscar for best foreign film. It lived up to expectations. In some ways very painful to watch, because it consists almost entirely of arguments and people unraveling. But it's so well done. Excellent acting, well plotted, and things keep moving along.

Most of all it's incredibly good at making all the characters believable and a little ambivalent. You can understand points of view but also wish that people behaved differently.

+1 A great film. Very intimate, with characters you root for. A surprising plot twist at the end.

j winter

Watched this large heap of foolishness last night with my wife... very silly, but that's not a bad thing at the moment... It's a truly crazy movie, I love how the plot takes a complete left turn about 2 hours in and throws in royal intrigue and sword fights and all sorts of stuff, then veers right back on track... recommended for fans of the old Wacky Races cartoons...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

SonicMan46

Quote from: j winter on March 30, 2020, 07:04:47 AM
Watched this large heap of foolishness last night with my wife... very silly, but that's not a bad thing at the moment... It's a truly crazy movie, I love how the plot takes a complete left turn about 2 hours in and throws in royal intrigue and sword fights and all sorts of stuff, then veers right back on track... recommended for fans of the old Wacky Races cartoons...

Boy, I've not seen that movie since release (and may have watched on TV again years ago?) - BUT, I do have fond memories of Natalie Wood in the film -  :P :D  Dave