Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 29, 2020, 07:17:36 PM
Another recent Chinese film I saw last year, around the same time I watched Ash, was Long Day's Journey into Night from filmmaker Bi Gan. I recommend it, it's mesmerizing.

Hmm. I'm not finding any information about availability of that one here right now.

To be honest every time I see a Chinese film I fight the urge to hunt down Raise the Red Lantern and watch it again. It's a long time since I saw it but I absolutely loved it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SurprisedByBeauty

aligreto

Disturbia This is a film that is something of a Hitchcockian parody and, as such, it is both successful and watchable.

aligreto

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on June 29, 2020, 11:00:40 PM
The Million Pound Note

https://www.youtube.com/v/gyePJXDB-uQ

I have seen that film and it is an interesting study on how the promise of money, even if it is not practically realisable, affects people and their attitudes. It is enjoyable.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: aligreto on July 01, 2020, 01:52:07 AM

I have seen that film and it is an interesting study on how the promise of money, even if it is not practically realisable, affects people and their attitudes. It is enjoyable.

Quite enjoyable, if predictably over the top and straight forward. And of course Eddie Murphy would go on to copy parts of it in "Trading Places".

André

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 01, 2020, 04:24:32 AM
Quite enjoyable, if predictably over the top and straight forward. And of course Eddie Murphy would go on to copy parts of it in "Trading Places".

Music by William Alwyn !

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 26, 2020, 04:28:26 PM
Yellowbeard.

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"   ;D :D ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on July 01, 2020, 05:10:56 AM
Music by William Alwyn !

Oh, how neat. Didn't take time to notice/read. But that enriches the experience in retrospect! Thanks.

SonicMan46

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018) w/ Lily James, Michiel Huisman, Glen Powell, Jessica Brown Findlay, Katherine Parkinson, Matthew Goode, Tom Courtenay and Penelope Wilton.  A historical romantic drama - more HERE - Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands off the Normandy coast (see map), was occupied by the Germans in WW II - story of the occupation and post-war recovery; 81% on Rotten Tomatoes - we enjoyed - recommended.  Dave :)

aligreto

Blackhat

A cyber crime thriller with an edge. Worth a watch.

drogulus

I managed to acquire a DVD of The Bofors Gun, an old favorite. I scoured sites all over and found it in Canada.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

aligreto

A Vigilante

This is a hard hitting film about a woman, with a particular history, who is driven to mainly avenge other women who are beaten by their husbands. The story unfolds well in both a general and specific way. It highlights an unfortunately very real problem very well and I agree very much with the dispensation of her type of justice to the perpetrators.

SimonNZ

Second viewing. Still a few criticisms, but liked it more this time around.

SonicMan46

Angel and the Badman (1947) w/ John Wayne, Gail Russell, Harry Carey and Bruce Cabot - short synopsis below - Russell's eyes were just beautiful - great story - Gail's early death in her mid-30s is tragic (LINK) - recommended.

Anchors Aweigh (1945) w/ Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, & Kathryn Grayson; also Dean Stockwell in his youth - second synopsis below - not the same as their later film On the Town (1949) - expect less of a story, more a musical revue, some great numbers, and Gene dancing w/ a mouse in an animated scene - Dave :)

QuoteOne of John Wayne's most mystical films, Angel and the Badman is also the first production that Wayne personally produced. The star plays a wounded outlaw who is sheltered by a Quaker family. Attracted to the family's angelic daughter Gail Russell, the hard-bitten Wayne undergoes a slow and subtle character transformation; still, he is obsessed with killing the man (Bruce Cabot) who murdered his foster father. The storyline traces not only the regeneration of Wayne, but of the single-minded sheriff (Harry Carey) who'd previously been determined to bring Wayne to justice.

QuoteAnchors Aweigh is a 1945 American Technicolor musical comedy film directed by George Sidney and starring Frank Sinatra, Kathryn Grayson, and Gene Kelly, with songs by Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn. In the film, two sailors go on a four-day shore leave in Hollywood, meet a young boy and his aunt, an aspiring young singer, and the sailors try to help her get an audition at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. In addition to a live-action Kelly dancing with Jerry Mouse the cartoon mouse, the film also features José Iturbi, Pamela Britton, Dean Stockwell, and Sharon McManus

Madiel

Latter Days

Mostly, rather cheesy. Occasionally, quite emotional.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

The Hustle.  A gender-swapped remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Bedtime Story, this flick remains watchable only because of Rebel Wilson's willingness to do anything for a laugh.  Most of the time it works, but every once in a while one misses what was done in the 80s.  Wilson's Princess Hortense character compared to Steve Martin's Ruprecht (Oklahoma!) highlights all the shortcomings of this remake.  It's paint by numbers filmmaking across the board.  I kept wanting more.  At least it killed ninety minutes.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Wonderful effects that still hold up very well today for me.

Madiel

Babel

Well, 13.5 years on, I like this film pretty much the same as I did the first time I saw it. Though the impact is inevitably a little different when you know how the stories are connected from the beginning, instead of finding out at various points.

But it's still a powerful take on the world's diversity.

SonicMan46

On the 4th of July, we usually alternate watching Yankee Doodle Dandy or 1776 but disagreed on the choice last night, so I selected a couple of different films - The Patriot w/ Gibson - this film is quite atmospheric for us, i.e. we travel the Carolinas and have been to many of the Revolutionary battle sites and National Treasure w/ Cage, what more appropriate than stealing the Declaration of Independence:laugh:  Dave

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 05, 2020, 02:03:06 PM
The Patriot w/ Gibson

Hi, Dave! The movie stroke me as propaganda through and through but I greatly enjoyed what Gibson's character retorts at some time; I fear one tyrant 10,000 miles away much less than 100 of them at home (or something to that effect) --- with respect to whether the colonies should stay within UK or declare independence.  ;D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno