Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Push with Chris Evans and Dakota Fanning. Some good tips here for anyone fighting an enemy that can read their mind.

Todd

The Vast of Night.  A low-budget homage to The Twilight Zone and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, with a nod to Gareth Edwards' Monsters, the film is set in 50s New Mexico and involves a switchboard operator and DJ who hear and try to untangle the meaning of a strange noise intercepted by the girl at the switchboard.  The movie consists of low budget sets and extensive dialogue and the cheapest possible effect of a blacked out screen for a few minutes of screen time, interspersed throughout the film.  Issues of racism and sexism are addressed for a political tinge, but ultimately the high concept falls flat and the film, despite less than ninety minutes of actual running time, seems to go on and on.  That's probably because the storyline is old and tired and the movie really has nothing fresh to say.  I guess it could have been worse.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Since I'm not a Brit, it's very OK for me to like the films of Stephen Poliakoff. Most recently I watched Capturing Mary.

Stephen Poliakoff: why the baffling doe-eyed adoration?

Ow, that'll teach me. Now that I'm taught, I like the film less by a tiny amount. I'm glad I watched the film first because I like liking films even if I'm not doing it right.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

First viewing. Found this much more charming and enjoyable than I expected to.

milk

aligreto

Black Butterfly

A twist too many at the very end spoiled an otherwise reasonably good film; ridiculous!

Madiel

Dallas Buyers Club

Pretty good. The acting is definitely the highlight.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Christo

Second time, after its premiere back in 1982. Ben Kingsly makes a not unconvincing Gandhi, but what I liked most are the landscapes, analogue & beautiful:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

aligreto

Passengers 

I enjoyed this one.

aligreto

Quote from: Christo on August 06, 2020, 01:29:57 AM
Second time, after its premiere back in 1982. Ben Kingsly makes a not unconvincing Gandhi, but what I liked most are the landscapes, analogue & beautiful:

I remember seeing that in the cinema when it came out and the landscape cinematography was stunning.

SonicMan46

Body and Soul (1947) w/ John Garfield, Lilli Palmer, Hazel Brooks, Robert Conrad, et al - film noir boxing film - more HERE - considered one of the BEST boxing films ever made in many ratings (No. 5 on the Rotten Tomatoes Ranking; higher elsewhere) - nominated for 3 Oscars, including John for 'Best Actor', won one for 'Film Editing'.  In 1952, Garfield died tragically at the age of 39 years from heart disease.  Dave

P.S. forgot to mention the two gorgeous ladies in this film - shown below!

SimonNZ

Madiel

A Royal Affair

The story is extraordinary, and as far as I can tell sticks fairly well to the real-life events. In the first couple of years of the 1770s, Denmark was turned upside down. A mad king, and an affair between the queen and the king's personal doctor who was effectively running the country and was full of new-fangled Enlightenment ideas.

The one thing that really got in the way for me in the film, though, was the casting of Mads Mikkelsen. Yes, he's a good actor, but I just don't think he was right for the part. All the main players were younger in real life, but especially the real life Struensee. The age gap between Mikkelsen and Alicia Vikander just felt too big and stopped me from being convinced about the love affair.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Leave No Trace

It is the story of a misfit who wants to live in the wilds and his daughter whose needs are becoming different as she is maturing. This was a very engaging and enjoyable film.

Todd

Antarctica: A Year on Ice.  I've never been to Antarctica, nor do I plan to go, but I figured it could be fun to watch a short documentary about what it's like to live there for an entire year.  It looks boring as hell.  And cold.  Real cold.  Yes, the scenery is breathtaking, the aurora striking, and the clear night sky reveals a panoply of stars and galaxies, but it's cold.  Real cold.  As in as cold as Antarctica.  An enjoyable enough trifle.

Brian

Quote from: Todd on August 09, 2020, 06:12:19 AM
Antarctica: A Year on Ice.  I've never been to Antarctica, nor do I plan to go, but I figured it could be fun to watch a short documentary about what it's like to live there for an entire year.  It looks boring as hell.  And cold.  Real cold.  Yes, the scenery is breathtaking, the aurora striking, and the clear night sky reveals a panoply of stars and galaxies, but it's cold.  Real cold.  As in as cold as Antarctica.  An enjoyable enough trifle.
See if you can find the Werner Herzog documentary about life in Antarctica, too, which I've never forgotten because of the sequence about how penguins commit suicide.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on August 09, 2020, 07:16:03 AM
See if you can find the Werner Herzog documentary about life in Antarctica, too, which I've never forgotten because of the sequence about how penguins commit suicide.

I may give it a shot, but do penguins really commit suicide in the sense that we understand it? 

Brian

Quote from: Todd on August 09, 2020, 07:22:38 AM
I may give it a shot, but do penguins really commit suicide in the sense that we understand it?
No, but Herzog thinks so and tries to strong-arm an expert into agreeing with him. It's a delightful bit of Herzogian surrealism/philosophizing.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on August 09, 2020, 07:35:27 AM
No, but Herzog thinks so and tries to strong-arm an expert into agreeing with him. It's a delightful bit of Herzogian surrealism/philosophizing.

OK, that makes more sense. 

Suicidal Penguins could be a good name for a punk band.  Young, angry guys in tuxes.

aligreto

Frozen II

Certain circumstances led me to have to watch this. It is rated 6+ so I said "Right, just about my level of maturity".  ;D
This was a dark film and I truly believe that children that young would not really follow it. I understand that it was already re-written in part after the initial screen tests for that reason.
I do realise that the young children only want to see what's her name, the reindeer guy and the snowman fellow all of which are here in abundance.
I actually found it very enjoyable and engaging.