Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 13, 2020, 05:50:58 PM
It's so good. Even with its tremendous fields of wheat.

Better than the chicken at Tretsky's
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

One of the finest films I've ever seen. Truly a masterpiece.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: milk on September 14, 2020, 05:12:11 AM

100% agree. A perfect film.

71 dB

Quote from: milk on September 14, 2020, 05:12:11 AM

Never heard of this movie althou it seems to be 20 years old already. Criterion has released this in UK (B-region), but as always with Criterion, the price is high.  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Woman of the Year (1942) w/ Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn, Fay Bainter, and others.  Short synopsis below; a Criterion BD production w/ a 2K restoration and uncompressed monaural sound, plus hours of special features!  We enjoyed this film more that their 1952 movie Pat and Mike; the stars were 10 years younger and looking great (as below), the script is better and even at times contemporary - not to be missed in this film is Tracy trying to explain baseball to Hepburn, and at the end Katie's attempt to make breakfast, still hilarious.  Highly recommended!  Dave :)

QuoteWoman of the Year is a 1942 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by George Stevens and starring Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. The film was written by Ring Lardner Jr., Michael Kanin, and John Lee Mahin, and produced by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. The plot is about the relationship between Tess Harding—an international affairs correspondent, chosen "Woman of the Year"—and Sam Craig—a sportswriter—who meet, marry, and encounter problems as a result of her unflinching commitment to her work. In 1999, this film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". (Source)

Pohjolas Daughter

The Big Lebowski by the Coen brothers

The Dude abides....
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Last night, on a thumb's-up/thumb's-down mission: Superman Returns (2006) Bryan Singer

Conclusion: Thumb's Down

Ultimately overwrought and diffuse, too little payoff for the time investment. The disc came in a package with the two Richard Donner movies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 14, 2020, 07:29:43 AM
100% agree. A perfect film.

Yes. Truly amazing. One of the most 'human' films I know.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 14, 2020, 08:33:21 AM
Woman of the Year (1942) w/ Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn, Fay Bainter, and others.  Short synopsis below; a Criterion BD production w/ a 2K restoration and uncompressed monaural sound, plus hours of special features!  We enjoyed this film more that their 1952 movie Pat and Mike; the stars were 10 years younger and looking great (as below), the script is better and even at times contemporary - not to be missed in this film is Tracy trying to explain baseball to Hepburn, and at the end Katie's attempt to make breakfast, still hilarious.  Highly recommended!  Dave :)

That's a fun flick that I watched not too long ago. Although I didn't watch it in the Criterion Edition, which is bound to have given me a considerably lesser product. Still, fun it was. I think this followed watching "Bringing up Baby".

Tonight: The Princess Bride; finished the movie with my stepdaughter after starting it on Friday when she and mother both fell asleep during it, after a long day. :-)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2020, 09:13:58 AM
Last night, on a thumb's-up/thumb's-down mission: Superman Returns (2006) Bryan Singer

Conclusion: Thumb's Down

Ultimately overwrought and diffuse, too little payoff for the time investment. The disc came in a package with the two Richard Donner movies.

I remember back when that film was released one critic called it Superman vs. real estate.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 14, 2020, 12:26:47 PM

I remember back when that film was released one critic called it Superman vs. real estate.

Painfully apt.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

71 dB

The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)

Finally saw this much praised movie. I have tried to watch this on TV several times in the past, but the version they have been showing has been  for some reason letter- and pillar-boxed (widescreen within 4:3 picture the way early DVDs sometimes were!) and I don't watch such crap. Now I tried again and the picture was very good HD. I was a bit sceptical if I like this movie, but to my surprise it was much better than I expected. The story moved forward well at a good pace and Darabont's directing is good. Even the music is pretty good. Sure, the ending of this movie is predictable as hell, but who cares? A good movie for sure.   :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on September 15, 2020, 02:53:50 AM
The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)

Finally saw this much praised movie. I have tried to watch this on TV several times in the past, but the version they have been showing has been  for some reason letter- and pillar-boxed (widescreen within 4:3 picture the way early DVDs sometimes were!) and I don't watch such crap. Now I tried again and the picture was very good HD. I was a bit sceptical if I like this movie, but to my surprise it was much better than I expected. The story moved forward well at a good pace and Darabont's directing is good. Even the music is pretty good. Sure, the ending of this movie is predictable as hell, but who cares? A good movie for sure.   :)

Glad you enjoyed it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2020, 08:20:32 AM
Glad you enjoyed it!

Well, from Bringing Up Baby through The Princess Bride, Broadway Danny Rose, and The Shawshank Redemption, also on some of my favorites, and all touching on a variety of movie genres - great selection of films!  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA