Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Re-watching The Lord of the Rings ( and shaking my head at the realization that the films are nearly twenty years old ).

In a hole in the ground,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on September 15, 2020, 11:36:42 AM
Re-watching The Lord of the Rings ( and shaking my head at the realization that the films are nearly twenty years old ).

In a hole in the ground,

LKB

Not a nasty wet hole, filled with the ends of worms....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2020, 11:43:38 AM
Not a nasty wet hole, filled with the ends of worms....

... and that mean's comfort.

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

aligreto

The Judge

A high flying lawyer gets a call to say that his mother has just died. He returns home to his father [the judge] and his two brothers. His coming back into his dysfunctional family home with all of the relevant baggage therein from over the years lends for a very good story. It is also well acted out.

Pohjolas Daughter

Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears

Lots of fun and interesting plot twists with beautiful cinematography, costumes, and acting.  Based on the Australian t.v. series which were based on the novels (which I haven't seen yet, but hope to do so) and set in 1929.  Miss Fisher is a female detective:  charming, elegant, smart, witty...and definitely her own woman--much to the consternation of just about every male she meets.  Was interesting to find out that this project was able to reach fruition due to crowd fund-raising efforts by fans of the show and some of whom made it into the film as extras!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

The commitments What an awesome movie if you like blues and comedy, the film make me laugh to tears all the characters are interesting, I identified  whit the  hero of the movie, it's funny how thing  turn ugly in a band, people don't know that, and at the end of the movie when there drummer beat up the singer because he unpleasant and get all the ladies or  the hero waiting for Wilson Picket that seem to never come to see them, only when it's too late  :laugh:

There is so much to this movie, I wonder If they made an album  or if there real musician at least there fine actor, I rate this movie at least 3 on a scale of 1-7, thus said real good, very good comedy, great music in it, love it.

8)

SonicMan46

Saving Mr. Banks (2013) w/ Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson, and others - short synopsis below - first, I love watching the Disney film Mary Poppins (own on bluray - but wife not a big fan); second, after dinner we watched the special about the Sherman brothers (Dick & Bob) on the Disney Channel (via my son's login - don't tell anyone!), and since they were such a part as Walt's 'songwriting team' in Poppins, had to rewatch the movie described - highly recommended to fans of Poppins and the Sherman's prolific output to so many Disney productions.  Dave :)

QuoteSaving Mr. Banks is a 2013 period drama film directed by John Hancock from a screenplay written by Kelly Marcel and Sue Smith. Centered on the development of the 1964 film Mary Poppins, the film stars Emma Thompson as author P. L. Travers and Tom Hanks as film producer Walt Disney, with supporting performances by Paul Giamatti, Jason Schwartzman, Bradley Whitford, and Colin Farrell. Deriving its title from the father in Travers' story, the film depicts the author's tragic childhood in rural Queensland, and the two weeks of meetings during 1961 in Los Angeles, during which Disney attempts to obtain the screen rights to her novels. (Source)

AlberichUndHagen

A great film. This has often been criticized for portraying Hitler sympathetically but I don't think it's about that - it's simply about making him a three-dimensional character. Even someone like Hitler couldn't possibly think about the same thing for every single second of his life (although it undoubtedly WAS a huge obsession in his life) simply because it isn't possible for anyone, not even genocidal dictator like Adolf Hitler, to think every single second about same thing. He could get up in the morning, be nice to his secretary and then order the murder of six million innocent people. If anything such discrepancy of character makes it even scarier that such persons really have existed and will always exist.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Like the pre-cogs, I had seen it before: Minority Report
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

SimonNZ

I thoroughly enjoyed that ride...even with the dozens of plot holes and sloppy contradictions etc.

I was hoping they were going to end up back at the concert hall from the beginning, that having provided such a striking mise-en-scene. I see now its Linnehall in Tallinn Estonia:

Scion7

very  nice venue!!   such a hall should always have something going on in it - even student orchestral rehearsals - anything to get the general public in the seats and educate them
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

aligreto

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane

This is the story of a thirteen year old girl who has moved into a house with a father that no one has ever seen. Things soon begin to get complicated when people start asking questions.
It features a very young Jodie Foster.

SimonNZ

Superior cold war thriller.

And includes and unexpectedly successful performance from the unlikely casting of Fred Ward as Ronald Reagan.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: aligreto on September 18, 2020, 01:34:50 AM
It features a very young Jodie Foster.

I watched Taxi Driver a few months ago and Jodie Foster was remarkably good in it, perhaps the most impressive performance in the whole movie!  :o

This looks like a movie to check out at some point.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

What We Did On Our Holiday

This, ostensibly, is about a dysfunctional family who head up from London to Scotland to celebrate the 75th birthday of the children's grandfather.

For those who remember it, this film is inspired by, but not based on, the British comedy series Outnumbered which was some of the zaniest TV that I have ever seen. So you know what to expect. I found the film thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on September 20, 2020, 02:13:40 AM
What We Did On Our Holiday

Seen this one twice, maybe 3 times. Really like it. Billy Connolly is just so good in this  ;D
Olivier