Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2020, 06:25:30 PM
Hugh Grant is really incredible in a miniseries called A Very British Scandal. Or maybe Very English. It's a lot of fun.

I'll look out for it, thanks!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mookalafalas

Watched Enola Holmes with my 2 teenage daughters. It had great reviews. I thought Bobbi Millie Brown was really good, and the cinematography/sets/costumes very well done. I thought everything else was pretty crappy--especially the story and dialog. My daughters seemed to enjoy it more than I did, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought.
   Also watched Little Women with them. I thought it was really beautifully done. I expected a cheesy and boring film, but found it lovely, elegant, and narratively surprisingly bold (the time sequence was heavily juggled). Great cast, lovely cinematography. Also, surprising fidelity to the spirit of the source material.
It's all good...

Daverz

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 15, 2020, 04:45:14 AM
Watched Enola Holmes with my 2 teenage daughters. It had great reviews. I thought Bobbi Millie Brown was really good, and the cinematography/sets/costumes very well done. I thought everything else was pretty crappy--especially the story and dialog. My daughters seemed to enjoy it more than I did, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought.
   Also watched Little Women with them. I thought it was really beautifully done. I expected a cheesy and boring film, but found it lovely, elegant, and narratively surprisingly bold (the time sequence was heavily juggled). Great cast, lovely cinematography. Also, surprising fidelity to the spirit of the source material.

Yes, you get better writing on Lifetime movies.  But Millie Bobby Brown.  Wasn't she 11-years old last week?

Brian

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 15, 2020, 04:45:14 AM
The new Little Women is really remarkable. The 90s one is nice too, but that new one made me so happy.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

MN Dave

Mortal Engines. Steampunk adventure film that at times reminded me of Star Wars. Had a great time.  8)
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

71 dB

I watched Peeping Tom (Michael Powell, 1960) on TV. I found it quite good, but the plot was maybe too simple and predictable. It's amazing how good these old obscure movies look in HD. Very sharp picture. Amazing vibrant colors. I really liked how this movie looked visually and in these older movies the camerawork is good and there is not too fast cutting which I hate with modern movies. I also think modern movies have often really bad color pallettes. I prefer the vivid colors of older movies (early color movies). 

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

AlberichUndHagen

Quote from: 71 dB on October 16, 2020, 03:39:22 AM
I watched Peeping Tom (Michael Powell, 1960) on TV. I found it quite good, but the plot was maybe too simple and predictable. It's amazing how good these old obscure movies look in HD. Very sharp picture. Amazing vibrant colors. I really liked how this movie looked visually and in these older movies the camerawork is good and there is not too fast cutting which I hate with modern movies. I also think modern movies have often really bad color pallettes. I prefer the vivid colors of older movies (early color movies).

I watched that too yesterday and my opinions are largely the same as yours.

Wanderer

Films I saw during the summer in jasmin-scented open-air cinemas: The Burnt Orange Heresy (very much recommended; excellent acting, beautiful locations, some good dialogue about art), The Producers (the 1967 one, a great favourite), Deux moi (French), Pain and Glory (typical Almodóvar, one of his better efforts).

I also recently saw Tenet at a local movie theatre in what could only be described as a private screening (six people in the audience, including myself). It was (predictably, reviews were mostly scathing) a stylized disaster of a film. The script was mostly laughable, the main premise threadbare beyond redemption. Worse, directing was needlessly opaque and deliberately confusing, obviously wanting the audience to sit through another screening to sort things out. Fat chance, Christopher. Cinematography, special effects and acting at a very high level. At least the film wasn't boring, the action sequences are shrewdly very close to one another so one doesn't need to linger too much in the script's expositional ridiculousness (and one can tell that, even though the film lasts for almost 2,5 hours, editing has been ruthless). What it ultimately felt like: a good-looking, forgettable, self-important piece of action cinema. See it in a movie theatre (you know, if you can), because its only redeeming qualities demand a big screen, but do not expect anything deep or meaningful.

SonicMan46

Some more BD replacements for DVDs in my collection:

Picnic (1955) w/ William Holden, Kim Novak, Rosalind Russell, Arthur O'Connell, Cliff Robertson, & a teenage Susan Strasberg - short synopsis below; Holden and Novak are just so appealing in this film w/ Kim's red hair!  A favorite film of mine for decades - highly recommended.

Sergeant York (1941) w/ Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Joan Leslie, and others. Edited synopsis below - nominated for 11 Oscars, won 2 including Cooper as 'Best Actor'; lost to 'How Green Was My Valley' for 'Best Picture' - stiff competition for that award at the 1942 Oscars event (see table below) - again, highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuotePicnic is a 1955 romantic comedy-drama film filmed in Cinemascope. It was adapted for the screen by Daniel Taradash from William Inge's 1953 Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same name. Joshua Logan, director of the original Broadway stage production, directed the film version, which stars William Holden, Kim Novak, and Rosalind Russell, with Susan Strasberg and Cliff Robertson in supporting roles. Picnic was nominated for six Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and won two. The film dramatizes 24 hours in the life of a small Kansas town in the mid-20th century. It revolves around the Labor Day holiday. It is the story of an outsider whose appearance disrupts and rearranges the lives of those with whom he comes into contact. (Source)

QuoteSergeant York is a 1941 American biographical film about the life of Alvin C. York, one of the most-decorated American soldiers of World War I, and was directed by Howard Hawks. The film was based on the diary of Sergeant Alvin York. York refused, several times, to authorize a film version of his life story, but finally yielded. The story that York insisted on Gary Cooper for the title role derives from the fact that producer Jesse L. Lasky recruited Cooper by writing a plea that he accept the role and then signed York's name to the telegram. Cooper went on to win the Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal. The film also won for Best Film Editing and was nominated in nine other categories, including Best Picture, Director (Hawks), Supporting Actor (Walter Brennan), and Supporting Actress (Margaret Wycherly). The American Film Institute ranked the film 57th in the its 100 most inspirational American movies. It also rated Alvin York 35th in its list of the top 50 heroes in American cinema. (Source)

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 15, 2020, 05:48:30 PM
Moon

I remember seeing Moon in the theater and being impressed by Duncan Jones' first feature, a rare mix of hard sci-fi and speculative paranoia.

Source Code was entertaining as well, though I'd say the concept wore out its welcome somewhat along the way.

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 16, 2020, 07:57:46 PM
The Big Lebowski

Big thumbs up to that one! Missed it when released even though I like Jeff Bridges and the Coens; maybe I doubted the Bros. could direct comedy. Only discovered it 10+ years later via DVD.  ??? Can't forget the great scene in which the nude Julianne Moore splatters paint onto a canvas while flying through the air on a trapeze!

Watched this:

Got good reviews, and I considered seeing it in a cinema (remember those?) when released. But I found it rather predictable and formulaic.

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 16, 2020, 07:57:46 PM
The Big Lebowski

I saw this on TV for the first time half a year ago. It's okay I guess? The movies of the Coen Brothers have never been my cup of tea...  :-X

71 dB

Quote from: AlberichUndHagen on October 16, 2020, 04:25:46 AM
I watched that too yesterday and my opinions are largely the same as yours.

Cool.  ;)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on October 16, 2020, 02:10:37 PM
I remember seeing Moon in the theater and being impressed by Duncan Jones' first feature, a rare mix of hard sci-fi and speculative paranoia.

Source Code was entertaining as well, though I'd say the concept wore out its welcome somewhat along the way.

LKB

I very much enjoy Moon, but haven't (yet?) felt an urge to see more of his work.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA