Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

I watched on TV:

Harakiri (Masaki Kobayashi, 1962)

I am a huge fan of j-horror from the golden decade (1998-2008), but I haven't explored much older Japanese movies. This black and white movie is very slow except for the fight scenes in the end, but it's far from boring! The story is told cleverly. First the viewer is given the backbone of the story that looks mysterious. Then using blacklashes the story is exposed little by little and the story gets clear after which things escalate and we get the final fight scenes. Very stylistic camera work! Some visually stunning scenes. Music is by no other than Toru Takemitsu. The HD transfer looked amazingly good.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Roasted Swan

A musical film no less - "Song of Names".  My problem in these films is I always spend my time getting irritated about bad fake violin playing.  In this film what is different is that the central character - a young prodigy violinist from Warsaw whose family dies at Treblinka - is played by 3 actors as he grows up.  The young actor can clearly play the violin if not to the level implied.  The middle guy can't but they manage his playing shots quite carefully.  The problem comes with Clive Owen as the "old" violinist giving a redemptive concert.  Now here's the curiosity - in close up Owen fakes badly(!) - all the usual culprits of flattened fingers, stiff bow arm and wrist, bizarre attempt at vibrato etc etc.  BUT in medium shot suddenly his bow arm is freed up and the left hand has some dexterity.  I can only think that some CGI chicanery managed to put Owens' head (I kid you not!) onto an actual violinist's body.

The film itself is pretty powerful - whether it has any basis in truth I don't know - the idea is that victims of the camps were memorialised by survivors in song - literally a "song of names"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 14, 2020, 05:54:00 AM
A musical film no less - "Song of Names".  My problem in these films is I always spend my time getting irritated about bad fake violin playing.  In this film what is different is that the central character - a young prodigy violinist from Warsaw whose family dies at Treblinka - is played by 3 actors as he grows up.  The young actor can clearly play the violin if not to the level implied.  The middle guy can't but they manage his playing shots quite carefully.  The problem comes with Clive Owen as the "old" violinist giving a redemptive concert.  Now here's the curiosity - in close up Owen fakes badly(!) - all the usual culprits of flattened fingers, stiff bow arm and wrist, bizarre attempt at vibrato etc etc.  BUT in medium shot suddenly his bow arm is freed up and the left hand has some dexterity.  I can only think that some CGI chicanery managed to put Owens' head (I kid you not!) onto an actual violinist's body.

The film itself is pretty powerful - whether it has any basis in truth I don't know - the idea is that victims of the camps were memorialised by survivors in song - literally a "song of names"
Sounds like a powerful film indeed!

Looking around the 'net a bit I found this; however, it doesn't say anything about a 'song of names'.  http://holocaustmusic.ort.org/places/camps/death-camps/treblinka/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Last night I rewatched Ronin after 20 or so years. It has lots of action and perhaps the most perfect realization of the McGuffin concept I have ever seen.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

George

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed this last night.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Carlo Gesualdo

The Network 1976 classic that got banned of the air  from canada for saying too much , this movie is telling, you want reality you will get it, not stupid  truth that are bias.  :P

SonicMan46

Over the last few nights, two quite different films:

Shane (1953) w/ Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin, Brandon deWilde, Jack Palance, and many other great character actors.  One of the classic westerns and third on the AFI list of the top 10 westerns (see bottom pic); nominated for 6 Oscars, including Palance and deWilde (a child in his first film role - actually, Susan thought he gave the best performance!) - more HERE, if interested.

Shawshank Redemption (1994) w/ Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, and Bob Gunton - more HERE - exciting prison drama based on a Stephen King novel, much more in the link - I've been watching this film since its release.  Both of these movies highly recommended!  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 15, 2020, 10:36:43 AM
Over the last few nights, two quite different films:

Shane (1953) w/ Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin, Brandon deWilde, Jack Palance, and many other great character actors.  One of the classic westerns and third on the AFI list of the top 10 westerns (see bottom pic); nominated for 6 Oscars, including Palance and deWilde (a child in his first film role - actually, Susan thought he gave the best performance!) - more HERE, if interested.

Shawshank Redemption (1994) w/ Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, and Bob Gunton - more HERE - exciting prison drama based on a Stephen King novel, much more in the link - I've been watching this film since its release.  Both of these movies highly recommended!  Dave :)

I'll gladly watch Shawshank again this evening
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

The Last Boy Scout & Last Man Standing
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Burnt Offerings (Dan Curtis, 1976)

A family rents a mansion for the whole summer for only $900. Why is the rent so low? Because it's a house of horrors! This movie has good acting (Karen Black, Oliver Reed & Warren Betty). A lot of things are hinted, but ultimately very little is explaned. This is a solid creepy movie and even a precursor of Kubrick's The Shining.

[asin]B01IBUZXWA[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

geralmar

2018, New Zealand

Superior killer furniture movie.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on November 18, 2020, 10:17:20 PM

2018, New Zealand

Superior killer furniture movie.

So you mean that there's something worse than waking up with a neck crick after falling asleep on the furniture?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Speed (1994) w/ Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Dennis Hopper, and Jeff Daniels - good role for Keanu (i.e. not much speaking), one of my fav ladies, Bullock; and a devilish performance by Dennis Hopper - Oscars for 'Best Sound' and 'Sound Effects Editing' - be prepared for one precarious action scene after another.  Recommended if your into this genre and for Hopper's character.  Dave :)

QuoteSpeed is an action thriller film directed by Jan de Bont. The film stars Keanu Reeves, Dennis Hopper, Sandra Bullock, Joe Morton, and Jeff Daniels. It is about a bus that is rigged by a mad bomber: the bus bomb will arm itself once the bus reaches 50 miles per hour and it will explode if the bus subsequently drops below 50 miles per hour. Released in June, 1994, it became critically and commercially successful, grossing $350.4 million on a $30 million budget and winning two Academy Awards, for Best Sound Effects Editing and Best Sound, at the 67th Academy Awards in 1995. (Source)

Carlo Gesualdo

drogulus

Recently I watched I'm Thinking Of Ending Things. Yet, here I am.

The Everest of the Charlie Kaufman range is Synecdoche, N.Y.. In human terms it's certainly one of the most unwatchable films ever made. Highly recommended.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

Quote from: drogulus on November 20, 2020, 09:30:15 AM

The Everest of the Charlie Kaufman range is Synecdoche, N.Y.. In human terms it's certainly one of the most unwatchable films ever made. Highly recommended.

Yeah, that movie messed me up real good. But I haven't seen it since I was about 17. I have a feeling it would hit a lot harder to watch today, now that I've experienced for myself a little bit of what the film is about (the stuff about the passage of time, especially).

SonicMan46

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) w/ the usual actors + Catherine Hicks (as Gillian, the 20th century whale biologist) - by far, my favorite of the 'movie Star Treks' for its humor and time travel - more HERE - got Susan to even watch and she enjoyed - highly recommended!

The Ghost Breakers (1940) w/ Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard, Willie Best, Anthony Quinn, and many others - a funny classic Hollywood 'horror-comedy' w/ Willie Best in great stereotypic form for the era - more HERE - wife even enjoyed this one - a new BD arrival to replace an old DVD-R.  Also highly recommended.  Dave