Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on February 18, 2021, 01:43:38 AM
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS (Frank Oz, 1988) - German Blu-ray (koch films)

It has been ages since the last time I saw this. Michael Caine and Steve Martin are superb conmen together and Frank Oz's old-fashioned directing is on point. This is kind of a perfect little movie I have learned to appreciate much more over the years. The picture quality of this particular Blu-ray release is impressive. Very clean, natural and detailed picture that respects the film grain leaving it as it is.

Quote below from Wiki - I also really enjoyed Dirty Rotten Scoundrels w/ Martin & Caine, and of course the adorable Glenne Headly (who played Tess in Dick Tracy several years later); do not currently own the film. This is a remake of Bedtime Story (1964) w/ Brando & Niven, and the beautiful Shirley Jones - I liked this movie years ago, but the reviews were mixed, maybe because some felt Marlon should not be doing comedy, don't know?  More recently, The Hustle was yet another remake - have not seen this film, so not sure if the plot is similar to the other two?  Dave :)

QuoteDirty Rotten Scoundrels is a 1988 American comedy film directed by Frank Oz and starring Steve Martin, Michael Caine and Glenne Headly. The screenplay was written by Dale Launer, Stanley Shapiro, and Paul Henning. It is a remake of the 1964 Marlon Brando/David Niven film Bedtime Story, also written by Shapiro and Henning, and was later remade in 2019 as The Hustle, starring Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson. (Source)

SonicMan46

Well since getting into 4K technology over the holidays, I'm slowly adding/replacing some of my older DVDs/BDs w/ 4K UHD media, whether on physical discs and/or as a UHD streaming option (such as from Amazon Prime Video or Apple iTunes) - as I buy these newer UHD versions, I will be donating my older physical media to a local charity - need to clear up some storage, as always! 

The two newest additions to my Amazon Prime Video library are shown below; watched Maleficent a few days ago (still enjoy a bunch of Disney films, whether old or some new ones) and Top Gun last night - the UHD streaming video quality on my new 4K HDTV is excellent, but sound levels have been low necessitating 'jacking up' the volume on my receiver (have an optical connection from the TV) - once at a good level, the sound quality is excellent - need to explore how Amazon is sending sound to me - any comments would be helpful.  Thanks.  Dave :)

drogulus

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 19, 2021, 08:20:09 AM
need to explore how Amazon is sending sound to me - any comments would be helpful.  Thanks.  Dave :)

How do you know that?

My sources are run through the receiver via HDMI (cable and file player), then to the TV via the ARC-HDMI 3. I've found that the TV streaming is doubleplusgood on the Sony for Prime, Netflix, YT and HBOMax. So it's not a terribly complex setup.

One thing, though, is that you may not be able to even out volume levels even with HDMI. Using an optical connection might cause some of the volume issues, but not all of them.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

DavidW

I have a dolby atmos sound bar with hdmi 2.1 tv.  I use the arc from the tv to the sound bar.  I stream directly from the tv. 

Dave your setup doesn't lead to your current problem.  Nothing wrong with your avr nor using optical (except that surround is lossy).

But... what are you using to stream?  I used to use an Apple TV and the volume levels on it were always much lower than any other source.  Cranking up the volume on the avr to compensate will not actually cause clipping imo, but I would just stream from your tv.  And you can probably set it as a gain on your input so the volume level looks the same.

But I recommend you just use the tv.  Smart tvs are much better at streaming now than they used to be.  They are super fast.  And on Sony tvs you can opt-out of them collecting data on your viewing habits (unlike other brand tvs).

Also FYI Modern Disney movies are usually at a lower volume than any other studio for some reason.

SonicMan46

Quote from: drogulus on February 19, 2021, 10:09:35 AM
     How do you know that?

My sources are run through the receiver via HDMI (cable and file player), then to the TV via the ARC-HDMI 3. I've found that the TV streaming is doubleplusgood on the Sony for Prime, Netflix, YT and HBOMax. So it's not a terribly complex setup.

One thing, though, is that you may not be able to even out volume levels even with HDMI. Using an optical connection might cause some of the volume issues, but not all of them.

Well, on most inputs going through the TV > optical cable > Cambridge receiver, I can set the volume in the low -40s dB or up into the mid -30 dB for a moderate level of sound - but on Top Gun last night, I needed to up the volume into the mid -20 dB level - now this was on the Amazon Prime Video app on my Roku (Spotify sound levels on the Roku are fine also) - probably should test the Prime Video app on my 4K Apple TV to see if there is a difference?  No big deal to adjust the volume as long as the sound is excellent.  Dave :)

drogulus

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 19, 2021, 12:26:07 PM
Well, on most inputs going through the TV > optical cable > Cambridge receiver, I can set the volume in the low -40s dB or up into the mid -30 dB for a moderate level of sound - but on Top Gun last night, I needed to up the volume into the mid -20 dB level - now this was on the Amazon Prime Video app on my Roku (Spotify sound levels on the Roku are fine also) - probably should test the Prime Video app on my 4K Apple TV to see if there is a difference?  No big deal to adjust the volume as long as the sound is excellent.  Dave :)

I decommissioned my Roku after I found out how good my Sony TV was at streaming. I would try using the TV Prime app.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SonicMan46

Quote from: drogulus on February 19, 2021, 01:11:36 PM
     I decommissioned my Roku after I found out how good my Sony TV was at streaming. I would try using the TV Prime app.

You're right, I've not yet explored using the apps on my new Sony TV - will give it a try on both the Apple TV and the Sony - thanks.  Dave :)

71 dB

A TALE OF TWO SISTERS (Kim Jee-Woon, 2003) - German Blu-ray (Capelight)

For a long time I was put off upgrading my DVD of this film because the Blu-ray releases had poor picture quality. The Korean release is the best, but of course very difficult/expensive to get. Luckily this German Capelight release is almost as good and given how difficult it is to get Asian movies released on Blu-ray especially for western markets I am totally satisfied with this release. The problem with German releases of Non-English movies is often the lack of English subtitles, but luckily this release has English subtitles (not mentioned on the back cover thou).

For a Asian/Korean horror movie this one relies a bit too much on jump scares and sudden loud noises, but it also has the trademarks of Asian horror I love so much. This is a merciless movie, even depressing, but I guess sometimes art has to take this route while exploring the suffering we human have to endure in our lives.

[asin]B081WRR6WP[/asin]

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Judas and the Black Messiah

I think that it is a very well acted movie, and an interesting story... but... I hate to say it... but there is a certain homogeneity to these type of true story films.  It is not amazing, it is just good.  I just took a look at RT and it looks like everyone else absolutely loves it.  But hey I like it, and it is the best thing to come along in a long time.  Again HBO Max wins again.

DavidW

Quote from: 71 dB on February 18, 2021, 11:03:19 PM
P.S. I hate it how movies have become so cynical and avoid of humanism over the years. I want completely different escapism. That's why I am exploring movies from the 70's and 80's. They feel like fresh air compared to many movies of today. Split was at least watchable thanks to Shyamalan's talent as director, but so many new movies are just unwatchable visual noise to my eyes.

I liked Split but avoid the sequel.  If you want to go back in time for your horror movies I suggest checking out all of Cronenberg's films from that era.  I rewatched them a year or two ago and they are each unique,  insightful and not cliche and not filled with jump scares (like the other movie you mentioned).

Also cult classic to find if you can (it has been frequently banned): Possession (1981) which is very Lovecraftian.

For modern horror movies that won't disappoint, I highly recommend The Wailing (2016) and Memories of Murder (2003).

drogulus

I watched Resolution, a film about 2 characters who come to believe they are being watched by a malevolent force that wants them to inhabit a horror film.

If you've seen The Endless, you know about Cabin Guy and the friend who comes to rescue him from drug addiction. Resolution was made 5 years earlier.

SonicMan46

Well, a couple more 4K UHD purchases:

Green Book w/ Viggo Mortensen & Mahershala Ali - seen on the big screen when released but never purchased until now in excellent 4K UHD production (review HERE); winner of 3 Oscars including Best Picture & Supporting Actor for Viggo - highly recommended.

Spartacus (1960) w/ Kirk Douglas, Jean Simmons, and MANY OTHERS!  Outstanding 4K upgrade (review HERE) - watching over two nights.  Dave :)

drogulus

I strongly recommend the 4K restoration of The War Of The Worlds (1953) by Criterion.

On that same note, it's important to consider previous War of the Worlds discs came from Eastman color prints, changing the saturation and revealing wires where they didn't show before. Now, Paramount/Criterion draws from a true three-strip Technicolor print, and it's marvelous. Reference grade, even. Dazzling hues give War of the Worlds a natural yet intense glow. Every primary sees renewed life, splendid and rich without fault. Eerie reds and the gorgeous copper/gold metals never looked so beautiful at home.

I approve this message. The film looks spectacular.

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on February 21, 2021, 10:29:44 AM
     I strongly recommend the 4K restoration of The War Of The Worlds (1953) by Criterion.

On that same note, it's important to consider previous War of the Worlds discs came from Eastman color prints, changing the saturation and revealing wires where they didn't show before. Now, Paramount/Criterion draws from a true three-strip Technicolor print, and it's marvelous. Reference grade, even. Dazzling hues give War of the Worlds a natural yet intense glow. Every primary sees renewed life, splendid and rich without fault. Eerie reds and the gorgeous copper/gold metals never looked so beautiful at home.

Zowie!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: drogulus on February 21, 2021, 10:29:44 AM

Well, last July, I bought the Criterion BD of the 1953 film which was sourced from a 4K restoration - same one as you mentioned above?  I've not tried to view the BD on the new 4K BD player/4K HDTV but would be curious about the 'upscaled' appearance?  The new BD look excellent on my old HDTV.  At the moment, I cannot find a 4K version on Amazon or the Criterion website, but may have missed it?  Dave

71 dB

Quote from: DavidW on February 21, 2021, 07:33:39 AM
I liked Split but avoid the sequel.  If you want to go back in time for your horror movies I suggest checking out all of Cronenberg's films from that era.  I rewatched them a year or two ago and they are each unique,  insightful and not cliche and not filled with jump scares (like the other movie you mentioned).

Also cult classic to find if you can (it has been frequently banned): Possession (1981) which is very Lovecraftian.

For modern horror movies that won't disappoint, I highly recommend The Wailing (2016) and Memories of Murder (2003).

Interesting, Glass is sequel to two movies!  ???

I have Cronenberg's Shivers, Fly and early work on Blu-ray. It's about getting Blu-rays at affordable prices.
Thanks for the recommendations.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 21, 2021, 10:58:38 AM
Well, last July, I bought the Criterion BD of the 1953 film which was sourced from a 4K restoration - same one as you mentioned above?  I've not tried to view the BD on the new 4K BD player/4K HDTV but would be curious about the 'upscaled' appearance?  The new BD look excellent on my old HDTV.  At the moment, I cannot find a 4K version on Amazon or the Criterion website, but may have missed it?  Dave

It's a 4K restoration on a 1080p BD. Criterion hasn't released any UHD discs. So what you have is the one I'm talking about.

There is a 4K HDR version of the film out there. The Criterion is superior.

I snapped this from the Criterion edition.

SonicMan46

Quote from: drogulus on February 21, 2021, 01:29:24 PM
     It's a 4K restoration on a 1080p BD. Criterion hasn't released any UHD discs. So what you have is the one I'm talking about.

There is a 4K HDR version of the film out there. The Criterion is superior.

GREAT!  Thought that I was up to date -  :laugh:  I've been waiting a LONG time to upgrade from my old DVD - this Criterion production is just SO much better - Dave :)

SimonNZ

After what struck me in the first third as a colour-by-numbers standard Hollywood approach to Holocaust storytelling I was much more impressed when out on his own then unfolding of history is viewed only as one can see it from a single window, and in the way the lead is not portrayed as heroic or even cunning but rather a survivor by luck and chance.

I was unconvinced by the "Good German" character, though. If the lead hadn't been able to play Chopin to prove he was a pianist would the officer still have still seen a fellow human and taken pity on him or would he have shot him on the spot?