Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 04, 2021, 01:26:26 AM
Is there a commentary with the Criterion edition of that?

I'm not sure. I have this box set and have been working through it chronologically, not watching (or listening to) any of the extra stuff this time around, and sorry, not able to check right now:

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

milk

This movie is at once hilarious, absurd, brutal and even touching. I'm not sure there is any character in cinema more pathetic than the one Charles Grodin created here. This movie doesn't aim at the meaning of life. But what it does aim at, it cuts so very deep. Half-way through I thought, "yeah, this is a pretty funny satire"; by the end I couldn't get over the punches thrown one after the other.
They really don't make films like this anymore (even though they remade this one, apparently). I should also mention that this is also a kind of Jewish movie, the way Portnoy's Complaint is a Jewish book/movie, and in a cultural milieu that doesn't exist anymore either.   
Sorry for the big poster here but, man, what a poster!

aligreto

Quote from: aligreto on May 03, 2021, 03:24:55 AM

Completing the trilogy with Salting The Battlefield

There is salvation in the final film of this trilogy. The excellent movement in plot, character development and drama are all moved along nicely. It is well done and befits the quality of the opening film.

Papy Oli

I think I have 2 of those in my Netflix queue. 'Page 8' looked familiar from an long past viewing. Will have to watch those.
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 04, 2021, 06:42:05 AM
I think I have 2 of those in my Netflix queue. 'Page 8' looked familiar from an long past viewing. Will have to watch those.

They are worth your time, Olivier.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: milk on May 04, 2021, 04:38:09 AM

This movie is at once hilarious, absurd, brutal and even touching. I'm not sure there is any character in cinema more pathetic than the one Charles Grodin created here. This movie doesn't aim at the meaning of life. But what it does aim at, it cuts so very deep. Half-way through I thought, "yeah, this is a pretty funny satire"; by the end I couldn't get over the punches thrown one after the other.
They really don't make films like this anymore (even though they remade this one, apparently). I should also mention that this is also a kind of Jewish movie, the way Portnoy's Complaint is a Jewish book/movie, and in a cultural milieu that doesn't exist anymore either.   
Sorry for the big poster here but, man, what a poster!

Oy, what a film! I've started watching it, almost by accident, after reading your description... and couldn't stop. Grodin is painful/wonderful.

steve ridgway

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 03, 2021, 11:14:27 PM
(I was trying to joke that I was so fixated on Andrea and Olga that I didn't even notice Tom)

Ah, my attempts to cultivate detachment must be having some effect. :)

milk

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 04, 2021, 03:24:58 PM
Oy, what a film! I've started watching it, almost by accident, after reading your description... and couldn't stop. Grodin is painful/wonderful.
I'm so happy you did. I gotta get more people to watch this. People: the whole thing is on YouTube! Just search it! Actually I can't get the movie out of my head. Grodin is astoundingly good, like, jaw-dropping-ly good. These scenes must be great for acting classes - they're so excruciating and funny. The script, by Neil Simon, is knife-sharp, but it doesn't have any of Simon's usual sentimentality. I think that's on Elaine May. I think it's May who makes the whole thing what it is - plus the actors.
I love these 70s movies, like Bob&Ted&..., that are kind of forgotten yet you can tell made a big splash at the time. Remember when people used to talk about movies as important cultural/artistic artifacts? Anyway, thanks for the comments. Glad you could watch.

SonicMan46

Quote from: philoctetes on May 04, 2021, 08:35:34 AM

A local celebrity in North Carolina!  I enjoyed that video and remember seeing a 'moonshine exhibit' in Mt. Airy's (home of Andy Griffith) local museum that had a section on 'Popcorn' and others (parts of Thunder Road, the film w/ Robert Mitchum about running moonshine in the mountains was made there).  For those not familiar w/ Maggie Valley - located in western NC near Asheville.  Dave :)

QuoteMarvin "Popcorn" Sutton (October 5, 1946 – March 16, 2009) was an American Appalachian moonshiner and bootlegger. Born in Maggie Valley, North Carolina, he grew up, lived, and died in the rural areas around Maggie Valley and nearby Cocke County, Tennessee. He wrote a self-published autobiographical guide to moonshining production, self-produced a home video depicting his moonshining activities, and was later the subject of several documentaries, including one that received a Regional Emmy Award. Sutton committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning in March 2009, aged 62, rather than report to federal prison after being convicted of offenses related to moonshining and illegal firearm possession. Since his death, a new company and associated whiskey brand have been named after him. (Source)

drogulus

I watched the first half or so of The Sand Pebbles last night. I think this film is underrated. The cast is superb, especially Candice Bergen and Richard Crenna. Steve McQueen was nominated for an Oscar and this is probably the best thing he ever did, though I might put Tom Horn up there.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

aligreto

Legends of the Fall

This was my first time to see this film. A very good story and, yes, it contains wonderful cinematography.

SonicMan46

Well, a couple of oldies burned to DVD-R off the TCM channel years ago - talked Susan into watching the films (and she did enjoy):

Dr. Erlich's Magic Bullet (1940) w/ Edward G. Robinson, Ruth Gordon, Otto Kruger, Donald Crisp, and many others - I've been watching this film since I was a kid and especially after reading the classic book (many times!) Microbe Hunters (along w/ another favorite about Louis Pasteur w/ Paul Muni) - short synopsis below.

The Magnificent Yankee (1950) w/ Louis Calhern, Ann Harding, Eduard Franz and many others as his law clerks - short synopsis below. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr (1841-1935) fought in the American Civil War and was a Supreme Court Justice from 1902-1932, living into the first term of FD Roosevelt, dying in his mid-90s - an amazing span of US history!  I've always enjoyed Louis Calhern who played mainly secondary roles in the many films that are familiar to me, but he is the STAR in this one - both of these movies are highly recommended!  Dave :)

QuoteDr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet is a 1940 American biographical film directed by William Dieterle and starring Edward G. Robinson, based on the true story of the German doctor and scientist Dr. Paul Ehrlich. The film was released by Warner Bros., with some controversy considering the subject of syphilis in a major studio release. It was nominated for an Oscar for its original screenplay, but lost to The Great McGinty. (Source)

QuoteThe Magnificent Yankee is a 1950 American biographical film adapted by Emmet Lavery from his 1946 play of the same title, which was adapted from the 1942 book Mr. Justice Holmes by Francis Biddle. The story examines the life of United States Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. The film was directed by John Sturges, with stars Louis Calhern, Ann Harding,  andEduard Franz. Calhern created the role of Oliver Wendell Holmes in the original Broadway production. Calhern was primarily a character actor in films and his portrayal of Holmes was his only true starring role in a sound film. A grateful MGM purchased the film rights to the play specifically for Calhern in appreciation for his consistently fine work in many supporting roles during his years with the studio. (Source)

aligreto

Greta

This is a very fine psychological thriller. It is well constructed and is very well acted out by the three main protagonists. I have long been a big fan of Isabelle Huppert. I think that she is a very fine actress and she excels here. This one gets a strong recommendation from me.

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 08, 2021, 02:20:54 PM
reading the classic book (many times!) Microbe Hunters

After reading that book in my early teens I decided to become a microbiologist. Eventually I didn't but I have very fond memories of the book and I might re-read it soon.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on May 09, 2021, 02:21:56 AM
Greta

This is a very fine psychological thriller. It is well constructed and is very well acted out by the three main protagonists. I have long been a big fan of Isabelle Huppert. I think that she is a very fine actress and she excels here. This one gets a strong recommendation from me.

Yes, Isabelle Huppert is one of my favourite actresses.

George

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 09, 2021, 04:20:34 AM
Yes, Isabelle Huppert is one of my favourite actresses.

The first movie I saw her in was The Piano Teacher and I was awestruck. She was fun in I Heart Huckabees.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brahmsian

Quote from: George on May 09, 2021, 04:24:42 AM
The first movie I saw her in was The Piano Teacher and I was awestruck. She was fun in I Heart Huckabees.

Yes, The Piano Teacher was also my first exposure.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on May 09, 2021, 02:35:03 AM
After reading that book in my early teens I decided to become a microbiologist. Eventually I didn't but I have very fond memories of the book and I might re-read it soon.

Hi Andrei - I'm sure there are plenty here that likely read that book (or the many other ones of the same genre) - when I went to the University of Michigan Medical School in the late 1960s (WOW!), the curriculum for the first two years was pretty much subject based (e.g. anatomy, physiology, histology, biochemistry, etc. - microbiology was a second year course) except for Neuro which was their first attempt to present an 'integrated' subject, i.e. neurologic anatomy, physiology, and clinical matters were included - looking at their curriculum HERE, appears that this concept comprises much of the current program.  Dave :)

drogulus

I've been on a "lost films" hunt, and I find you can stream the Michael Mann junkathon The Keep, though only in standard definition. A couple of films I want are probably out of reach for good, The Magic Toyshop and Hedda.

https://www.youtube.com/v/KERHlBbrxew
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

steve ridgway

Quote from: drogulus on May 09, 2021, 07:31:14 AM
I've been on a "lost films" hunt, and I find you can stream the Michael Mann junkathon The Keep, though only in standard definition.

I tried watching The Keep once and the cuts had indeed ruined it. In fact my visit to the interior, in the form of the Llechwedd Slate Caverns in Wales, was more memorable. Apparently the film once included a soundtrack by Tangerine Dream which can be heard on the latest 10 CD box set along with remasters of albums otherwise available much cheaper.