Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 04, 2021, 05:25:20 PM
I haven't seen Revolver. I might try and pick it up tonight.

I highly recommend it. It has all the stuff from his earlier films, but adds in an interesting psychological element as well.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Seaspiracy (2021) - a Netflix documentary stream a few nights ago, an eye-opening and sobering film about the human impact on marine life (see Wiki quote beow) - despite decent ratings (75% Rotten Tomatoes; 8.2/10, IMDB) the production has been controversial and felt to be misleading - HERE are comments from a Marine Scientist and other 'negative' reviews can be found on the web.  Much portrayed in the film is indeed happening but the facts at times are distorted, and the 'take home message' fishy in my mind -  ;)  However, we did enjoy the documentary and honestly hope for improvements - and will continue to eat fish, a favorite food.  Highly recommended but have some skepticism while watching the film and do some googling on the controversies produced.  Dave :)

QuoteSeaspiracy is a 2021 documentary film about the environmental impact of fishing directed by and starring Ali Tabrizi, a British filmmaker.  The film examines various human impacts on marine life and advocates for ending fish consumption. The film premiered on Netflix in March 2021 and garnered immediate attention in several countries. The film received positive critical reviews for bringing attention to its subject matter, and attracted controversy over its scientific accuracy and has been criticized by some ocean experts. Some organisations and individuals interviewed or negatively portrayed in the film have disputed its assertions and have accused the film of misrepresenting them. (Source)

VonStupp

Star Wars (1977)

It seems odd to me, but my girls had never seen the original Star Wars. I hadn't seen it in ages, but I think it is surprisingly still an entertaining movie. Everything is so pop-culture infused today, I didn't know how much of the original Star Wars would be old news to them. Now we will sit through the rest of the original trilogy. To be continued...

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

drogulus

Quote from: VonStupp on June 06, 2021, 02:53:37 AM
Star Wars (1977)

It seems odd to me, but my girls had never seen the original Star Wars. I hadn't seen it in ages, but I think it is surprisingly still an entertaining movie. Everything is so pop-culture infused today, I didn't know how much of the original Star Wars would be old news to them. Now we will sit through the rest of the original trilogy. To be continued...

I have the PROJECT 4K77 version and the Harmy's Despecialized Edition, but I can't bring myself to watch this film. Even very limited exposure to bits of it prompts a visceral reaction.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

LKB

I saw Star Wars as a teenager during its initial release, and some forty-four years later the music remains iconic.

For anyone here who somehow missed it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54hoKbTWon4

MTFBWY,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Star Wars (1977)

Jfyi, the movie is a remodeling/scifi-zation of The Hidden Fortress by Kurosawa, whom Lucas admired a lot. It is like Elvis's Heart Break Hotel.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20160104-the-film-star-wars-stole-from

SonicMan46

Star Wars (1977)

My son was 4 y/o when the first of the original trilogy came out - believe we saw the film 3-4x in the theater - currently own the Original Trilogy on blu-ray (inserted above) - streamed but never purchased any of the follow-up films (whether prequels or sequels) - now that I have a 4K HDTV and player, curious if these will be released in that format?  For me, will be a purchase if the reviews are excellent about the restoration and the price is right!  Dave :)

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2021, 08:10:46 AM
My son was 4 y/o when the first of the original trilogy came out - believe we saw the film 3-4x in the theater - currently own the Original Trilogy on blu-ray (inserted above) - streamed but never purchased any of the follow-up films (whether prequels or sequels) - now that I have a 4K HDTV and player, curious if these will be released in that format?  For me, will be a purchase if the reviews are excellent about the restoration and the price is right!  Dave :)

Best Buy used to offer this 9-film SW collection. It had both 4K and Blu-ray for a pretty penny.

VonStupp

Quote from: drogulus on June 06, 2021, 07:33:22 AM
     I have the PROJECT 4K77 version and the Harmy's Despecialized Edition, but I can't bring myself to watch this film. Even very limited exposure to bits of it prompts a visceral reaction.

Although I was in the theater in for it in the 70's, the last time I saw the original Star Wars was opening night of the '97 theatrical Special Edition. All I remember of the event was that the hyped DTS or THX wasn't working and we were packed in like sardines. Seeing it again now, all of those additions Lucas threw in just seem unnecessary. I had toyed with downloading the Despecialized versions, but have never pulled the trigger.

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on June 06, 2021, 08:35:18 AM
Best Buy used to offer this 9-film SW collection. It had both 4K and Blu-ray for a pretty penny.

Yep - I've viewed the 4K prices of IV, V, VI on Amazon (inserted above) - well I'd like a 'packaged deal' at half that price, plus the 4K reviews HERE are not that good; so will wait, no hurry at all - my 2K BDiscs are fine although I need to view them on the new 4K HDTV - bigger pic and some upscaling might help?  Thanks.  Dave

LKB

And then there's this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7ezeYJUz-84

If you've never seen it, at least watch it up to Darth Vader's entrance, it's worth it.

8),

LKB

André

Quote from: LKB on June 06, 2021, 10:32:33 AM
And then there's this:

If you've never seen it, at least watch it up to Darth Vader's entrance, it's worth it.

8),

LKB

Quite good !  :D

SimonNZ

Quote from: LKB on June 06, 2021, 10:32:33 AM
And then there's this:

8),

LKB

And then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYD3QtyEGGM&list=PL8s6sSjUyaxUk3mCUqiNuJiMNxs9QdthO

I thought "A Day In The Life" was done especially well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlcWVWU-cYQ&list=PL8s6sSjUyaxUk3mCUqiNuJiMNxs9QdthO&index=11

drogulus

Quote from: VonStupp on June 06, 2021, 08:46:21 AM
Although I was in the theater in for it in the 70's, the last time I saw the original Star Wars was opening night of the '97 theatrical Special Edition. All I remember of the event was that the hyped DTS wasn't working and we were packed in like sardines. Seeing it again now, all of those additions Lucas threw in just seem unnecessary. I had toyed with the Despecialized versions, but have never pulled the trigger.

The 4K77 and the Despecialized have the same 3 DTS tracks (1, 2 and 5.1 channel).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Brian

I have the Despecialized versions in online download form. Last watched them 3ish years ago, and they were spectacular.

drogulus

AVForums rates the UHD version of Raiders of the Lost Ark very highly.

There's grain, sure, but it's so fine a veneer that you barely notice, leaving a wonderfully organic image that is still clearly from a near-40 year old flick - there are still hints of softness here and there, and it's not perfect - but absolutely defies time to leave it almost impossible to truly fault. Just watch as Indy descends into the tomb of snakes, the perfect balance of black levels and shades, rippling shuffling coils of slick serpent forms glimmering and reflecting the gorgeous glowing fires from the burning logs thrown in to gift a meagre safe landing zone. The texture of the sand. The markings on the log, the patterns on the snakes. This is a gorgeously remastered image, majestic and frequently freeze-frame worthy, and easily forgiven its fleeting faults.

WCG and HDR - along with Dolby Vision - also work wonders, gifting the film the best colour scheme and tone that it has ever known, taking some of the cooler blues and excessive highlights present on prior SDR releases and balancing them with a much more authentic palette. Jungle greens are deep and rich, the tombs no longer steeped in unreal blues, and instead pleasing earthy tones and natural light abound. The lightning storm where Indy finds the tomb (and the final shots) are some of the composite shots that were likely cleaned up, and whilst they still stand out as 'effects', they certainly look better than ever. Contrast is very good indeed, with Dolby Vision in particular helping bring shadow detail to the fore and rendering deep and inky blacks to offer a perfect backdrop to several of the darker sequences. The work that has been done to clean up and deliver this film - and indeed this set - in quite such impressive shape, does not go unnoticed. This is tremendous.

LKB

" Asps, very dangerous... you go first. "

Karl Henning

Star Wars (1977)

Whatever its faults, it is entertaining.

(* typo *)[/b][/font]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 06, 2021, 07:45:50 AM
Jfyi, the movie is a remodeling/scifi-zation of The Hidden Fortress by Kurosawa, whom Lucas admired a lot. It is like Elvis's Heart Break Hotel.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20160104-the-film-star-wars-stole-from

Derivative of so much, yet all the flaws are Lucas's own.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 07, 2021, 07:03:36 AM
Derivative of so much, yet all the flaws are Lucas's own.

While I like both the movies, I slightly prefer the Kurosawa.

Also, Kurosawa's Yojimbo, which is based on Dashiell Hammett's novel "Red Harvest," became "A Fistful of Dollars"(Clint Eastwood) and "Last Man Standing" (Bruce Willis). Plus Kurosawa's Seven Samurai became Magnificent Seven and Battle Beyond the Stars.