Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 07, 2021, 07:21:45 AM
While I like both the movies, I slightly prefer the Kurosawa.

Also, Kurosawa's Yojimbo, which is based on Dashiell Hammett's novel "Red Harvest," became "A Fistful of Dollars"(Clint Eastwood) and "Last Man Standing" (Bruce Willis).

Aye, I do like them all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

milk

Good fun: violence, humor and computer nerds. 1 bag of popcorn and 2 microchips

Obviously not the first time for this but it was for my wife. Can you imagine this has only a critical score of 67 on metacritic? WTF? Are they insane? 100 bags of popcorn and 100 steaming matzo balls. Tradition!

Sorry: this was boring. Clint talks to much. Spare the sermon and just blow them away! He owes me the popcorn. I feel lucky!

VonStupp

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 07, 2021, 07:21:45 AM
...Plus Kurosawa's Seven Samurai became Magnificent Seven and Battle Beyond the Stars.

Hahahaha! I forgot about Roger Corman's silly adventure!

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Watched Thunderball again last night; I did succeed in watching straight through. One thing I never caught before is, there are a couple of frames in which Felix (Rick van Nutter) is visible, to give a hint that the CIA are following the case with interest. I feel that [what I consider] the excessive length problem is partly set up by the plot device of SPECTRE having given the Free World a deadline. While it is true that Bond does not (generally) dawdle, his necessary tasks perforce consume a lot of screen time. It was something of a cinematographic feat at the time, I suppose, but I could do without the underwater battle towards the end. It feels like bad form to complain about the Junkanoo sequence, since it is local color in an exotic locale (which was a significant attraction of the franchise from the start) But Bond has more important work. Supposedly, he is entertaining Domino, but he leaves her with Felix upon finding himself pursued by Fiona & Co. ......)  And we have no idea how Domino was brought back home to Palmyra.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2021, 10:05:51 AM
Watched Thunderball again last night; I did succeed in watching straight through. One thing I never caught before is, there are a couple of frames in which Felix (Rick van Nutter) is visible, to give a hint that the CIA are following the case with interest. I feel that [what I consider] the excessive length problem is partly set up by the plot device of SPECTRE having given the Free World a deadline. While it is true that Bond does not (generally) dawdle, his necessary tasks perforce consume a lot of screen time. It was something of a cinematographic feat at the time, I suppose, but I could do without the underwater battle towards the end. It feels like bad form to complain about the Junkanoo sequence, since it is local color in an exotic locale (which was a significant attraction of the franchise from the start) But Bond has more important work. Supposedly, he is entertaining Domino, but he leaves her with Felix upon finding himself pursued by Fiona & Co. (which is arguably dawdling, although we do count on 007 to survive.)  And we have no idea how Domino was brought back home to Palmyra.

Thunderball is the hardest of the early Sean Connery for me to watch. While the underwater sequences are impressive, they are slow moving, and John Barry's undulating strings in the water theme lull me into a trance. I find the plot confusing, mainly because I have seen Connery's remake enough times to get the two mixed-up in my mind (like when does Rowan Atkinson show up). Largo's eye-patched visage is memorable though, and I am a sucker for Tom Jones too!

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 10, 2021, 01:43:34 PM
Thunderball is the hardest of the early Sean Connery for me to watch. While the underwater sequences are impressive, they are slow moving, and John Barry's undulating strings in the water theme lull me into a trance. I find the plot confusing, mainly because I have seen Connery's remake enough times to get the two mixed-up in my mind (like when does Rowan Atkinson show up). Largo's eye-patched visage is memorable though, and I am a sucker for Tom Jones too!

Love the Rowan Atkinson cameo, and Connery has such fun with him.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Sixty Six

A young London Jewish boy has a crisis of identity within a dysfunctional family. This is all compounded when the date of his bar mitzvah is set for the day of the soccer world cup final in London in 1966. People start to tell him that they will come to his celebrations provided that England will not be in the final. The film follows his relationship with his family and with the progress of the England team as the fatal day draws ever closer. There is a good scattering of humour throughout. It is a heart warming, sort of coming of age film which contains many wonderful, very human characters. Well worth a watch.

SurprisedByBeauty

Part of having an 11-year old around, I've been watching the two modern remakes of JUMANJI.

Welcome to the Jungle

The next level

I was pleasantly surprised, though. They're clever adaptations and, dare I say it, better than the original, pace Robin Williams.

VonStupp

Empire Strikes Back

A follow-up watch with my girls. As far as I am concerned, this is an altogether better movie than the original, or at least it effectively ramps up the stakes far better, although the ending went on for ages. The sound design was mighty impressive in particular.

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 12, 2021, 03:04:13 AM

Empire Strikes Back

A follow-up watch with my girls. As far as I am concerned, this is an altogether better movie than the original, or at least it effectively ramps up the stakes far better, although the ending went on for ages. The sound design was mighty impressive in particular.

Nice. As for meself, I watched You Only Live Twice last night.  Always love Chas Gray and Donald Pleasance.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Empire Strikes Back

The finest film in the franchise.

I remember seeing TESB the day it was released in San Jose, CA., in 1980. I arrived at the ticket line at 8 AM, the first showing was at 1230, iirc. There were perhaps 100 people ahead of me, some in costume.

Two " Darth Vaders ", both convincing, squared off like gunfighters at high noon. They slowly, menacingly advanced until they met... and shook hands.

There was also a rather old " Luke Skywalker ", and a rather fetching " Princess Leia " to round things out. No droids though.

MTFBWY,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 12, 2021, 10:55:45 AM
Nice. As for meself, I watched You Only Live Twice last night.  Always love Chas Gray and Donald Pleasance.

I love it! Underground volcano lair, "Little Nellie", and a Nancy Sinatra theme song. What more does one need? A younger me was confused that Charles Gray showed up two movies later.

VonStupp

Quote from: LKB on June 12, 2021, 12:19:51 PM

I remember seeing TESB the day it was released in San Jose, CA., in 1980. I arrived at the ticket line at 8 AM, the first showing was at 1230, iirc. There were perhaps 100 people ahead of me, some in costume.

Two " Darth Vaders ", both convincing, squared off like gunfighters at high noon. They slowly, menacingly advanced until they met... and shook hands.

There was also a rather old " Luke Skywalker ", and a rather fetching " Princess Leia " to round things out. No droids though.

MTFBWY,

LKB

Fun! I've got one more with the girls coming up. Bottle up your memories for what I am expecting to be...disappointment.

Madiel

Quote from: LKB on June 12, 2021, 12:19:51 PM

It seems to me the great majority of people agree.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Empire Strikes Back

Watched this last night, myself.  Not coincidentally, the best line of all the first three (I cannot remark on others) was an idea of Harrison Ford's. when he responds "I know" upon Carrie Fisher saying, "I love you."

If Lucas applied any "improvements." I am blissfully unaware of them.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 13, 2021, 09:43:05 AMIf Lucas applied any "improvements." I am blissfully unaware of them.

Lucas added a few seconds of running time for the film's second release, with a shot of the assembled rebel fleet from behind, just before the ending credits. I remember reading beforehand about rumored minor changes to the film, so l was on the alert and noticed the addition. Other than that, l don't recall any alterations ( though I'm not any sort of franchise " expert ", and after forty years my memory could be suspect in any case ).
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SimonNZ

Changes to a lot of the soundtrack cues for some reason.

And the Emperor and Bona Fett have their voices overdubbed by prequel actors. (Temuera Morrison using his unvarnished natural Maori accent gets a giggle out my way in the second prequel and created a number of memes)

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 13, 2021, 09:43:05 AM
Watched this last night, myself.  Not coincidentally, the best line of all the first three (I cannot remark on others) was an idea of Harrison Ford's. when he responds "I know" upon Carrie Fisher saying, "I love you."

If Lucas applied any "improvements." I am blissfully unaware of them.

Only watching these every few decades or so, it was still quite easy to spot Lucas' intervention in A New Hope, yet with Empire, like you, I was never distracted enough to notice what he threw in there.

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on June 13, 2021, 10:13:28 AM
Lucas added a few seconds of running time for the film's second release, with a shot of the assembled rebel fleet from behind, just before the ending credits. I remember reading beforehand about rumored minor changes to the film, so l was on the alert and noticed the addition. Other than that, l don't recall any alterations ( though I'm not any sort of franchise " expert ", and after forty years my memory could be suspect in any case ).

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 13, 2021, 10:21:14 AM
Changes to a lot of the soundtrack cues for some reason.

And the Emperor and Bona Fett have their voices overdubbed by prequel actors. (Temuera Morrison using his unvarnished natural Maori accent gets a giggle out my way in the second prequel and created a number of memes)

Interesting. Thanks, gents.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA