Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Havoc

A group of white, wealthy teenagers are bored stupid with their priviliged existence. The guys dress and speak to each other like blacks and the girls go downtown in search of excitement. Can this end well?

SonicMan46

Miss Fisher & Crypt of Tears w/ many of the same stars from the Australian TV series Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (2012-2015), the two leads from the series are on a jewel theft with much activity taking place in the near east - more HERE, if interested.  I enjoyed the film and would rate at least 3* (of of 5*) - Susan less enthralled; Phryne Fisher and Detective Jack are still enjoyable together - I suspect those who have not watched the series would find the film less interesting - worth a watch if you know the series and the main characters.  Dave :)

aligreto

K2

I have had this DVD for years and watched it maybe three time before for the Himalayan scenery shots. I watched it again last night and I have finally decided that it is otherwise such Hollywood thrash that it has to go.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on June 15, 2021, 04:48:13 AM
K2

I have had this DVD for years and watched it maybe three time before for the Himalayan scenery shots. I watched it again last night and I have finally decided that it is otherwise such Hollywood thrash that it has to go.

Too bad, Fergus.  My immediate thought was that I haven't seen Michael Biehn in anything but Terminator and Aliens.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 15, 2021, 05:40:51 AM
Too bad, Fergus.  My immediate thought was that I haven't seen Michael Biehn in anything but Terminator and Aliens.

Don't bother wandering into this one Karl  ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on June 15, 2021, 08:32:56 AM
Don't bother wandering into this one Karl  ;)

That was, alas! my takeaway, Fergus.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 15, 2021, 08:38:17 AM
That was, alas! my takeaway, Fergus.

The scenery is spectacular though, I must say, but even the climbing is phoney. It is clear that they are crawling along horizontally and then the camera tilted to the vertical in a couple of shots.

Ganondorf

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 13, 2021, 09:43:05 AM
If Lucas applied any "improvements." I am blissfully unaware of them.

Well, in the original ESB after Luke has tried suicide, there is a very short scene with a very pissed off sounding Vader saying to his men: "Bring my shuttle." This was changed in later editions to very diplomat-like "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival." Although I still think Lucas made much worse things to this film (the replacing the original emperor with Ian Mcdiarmid in itself would have been ok - what is cringy is Emperor referring to Luke, in revised edition, as the offspring of Anakin Skywalker - while talking to Darth Vader aka Anakin Skywalker! If the implication was to refer to Ben Kenobi's "certain point of view" statement that Anakin Skywalker died when Darth Vader was born, that is very faulty because a) there is no implication whatsoever that Emperor would use that and moreover and most importantly, b) Ben referred to Anakin being killed by Darth Vader as an excuse to not tell Luke the truth about his father, he hardly would have referred to Anakin Skywalker like he was a different person when talking to Vader himself.

Also, there is this hilarious change (bear in mind that I grew up with this version):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXgK5HRBjk

steve ridgway

Quote from: aligreto on June 15, 2021, 08:49:26 AM
The scenery is spectacular though, I must say, but even the climbing is phoney. It is clear that they are crawling along horizontally and then the camera tilted to the vertical in a couple of shots.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Steppenwolf, based on Hermann Hesse's novel of the same title. Fun and bizarre movie.

LKB

They should have had some celebrity pop out of a fissure, stare in confusion and say, " Sorry, thought you were Adam West... "
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

André

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 15, 2021, 10:04:19 AM
Steppenwolf, based on Hermann Hesse's novel of the same title. Fun and bizarre movie.

I find this film reflects the oniric/psychedelic feeling of the book perfectly while never attempting to copy and paste it. It has a life and character all its own. Very strong presence of the characters (Von Sydow, Sanda, Clementi are striking). A one-off maybe, like Pasolini's Teorema, fascinating and ultimately exhilarating. It gets under the skin.

aligreto

Karl Henning

I love that trick in the Adam West Batman shows!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ganondorf on June 15, 2021, 09:08:03 AM
Well, in the original ESB after Luke has tried suicide, there is a very short scene with a very pissed off sounding Vader saying to his men: "Bring my shuttle." This was changed in later editions to very diplomat-like "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival." Although I still think Lucas made much worse things to this film (the replacing the original emperor with Ian Mcdiarmid in itself would have been ok - what is cringy is Emperor referring to Luke, in revised edition, as the offspring of Anakin Skywalker - while talking to Darth Vader aka Anakin Skywalker! If the implication was to refer to Ben Kenobi's "certain point of view" statement that Anakin Skywalker died when Darth Vader was born, that is very faulty because a) there is no implication whatsoever that Emperor would use that and moreover and most importantly, b) Ben referred to Anakin being killed by Darth Vader as an excuse to not tell Luke the truth about his father, he hardly would have referred to Anakin Skywalker like he was a different person when talking to Vader himself.

Also, there is this hilarious change (bear in mind that I grew up with this version):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXgK5HRBjk

Interesting, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on June 15, 2021, 10:52:55 AM
They should have had some celebrity pop out of a fissure, stare in confusion and say, " Sorry, thought you were Adam West... "

Hah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 15, 2021, 12:45:23 PM
I love that trick in the Adam West Batman shows!

Who doesn't love that trick?!  ;D

In recent days, one of my favorite late 1960's movies: one of the toughest, hair-raisingest "guy movies" ever, featuring a chainsaw fight and an attempted head removal with a locomotive!

Rod Taylor and Jim Brown as mercenaries in central Africa trying to rescue foreigners trapped during a coup d' etat:

Yes, Yvette Mimieux in her mid-20's is present as well....but does not portray a mercenary, despite what the cover above shows! 

Great score (most of the time) by French composer Jacques Loussier: there is an occasional hokey-sounding '60's French jazz cue, which both Mrs. Cato and I found jarring.

Ignoring that slight defect, the movie is a 1st-class thrill ride!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

VonStupp

Return of the Jedi

This is the last Star Wars the girls and I will watch for a while, I think. This has a strong 1st Act with a great character concept in Jabba the Hutt. The rest, for me, were mixed feelings about introducing new elements whilst trying to tie up threads started in Empire. The opening song in Jabba's palace was the most egregious addition I didn't remember; and although I recall it in the news, I don't think I have ever seen Darth Vader yelling 'No!' either. But there were more obvious added shots throughout, and of course my cherished 'Yub Nub' is forever gone.

Overall, though, this was an enjoyable revisit after I realized the girls hadn't seen them before. They loved everything to do with R2-D2 and C-3PO, an aspect Lucas failed at recreating in his subsequent tales, and they were invested with Luke Skywalker throughout.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 16, 2021, 02:39:40 AM

Return of the Jedi

This is the last Star Wars the girls and I will watch for a while, I think. This has a strong 1st Act with a great character concept in Jabba the Hutt. The rest, for me, were mixed feelings about introducing new elements whilst trying to tie up threads started in Empire. The opening song in Jabba's palace was the most egregious addition I didn't remember; and although I recall it in the news, I don't think I have ever seen Darth Vader yelling 'No!' either. But there were more obvious added shots throughout, and of course my cherished 'Yub Nub' is forever gone.

Overall, though, this was an enjoyable revisit after I realized the girls hadn't seen them before. They loved everything to do with R2-D2 and C-3PO, an aspect Lucas failed at recreating in his subsequent tales, and they were invested with Luke Skywalker throughout.

Although I did just rewatch Empire, I almost cannot bring myself to return to Return, and it's largely the fault of Toodles McLounge Singer and the closing Galactic Jubilation Day montage.  It's just such a vivid reminder of what bad decisions Lucas can make when he sets his mind to.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA