Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.A. Mozart and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: André on June 15, 2021, 11:52:22 AM
I find this film reflects the oniric/psychedelic feeling of the book perfectly while never attempting to copy and paste it. It has a life and character all its own. Very strong presence of the characters (Von Sydow, Sanda, Clementi are striking). A one-off maybe, like Pasolini's Teorema, fascinating and ultimately exhilarating. It gets under the skin.

Yes, very psychedelic movie. Many good ideas and efforts. I imagine the adaptation of Seppenwolf was not easy though.  I am a fan of Sanda and Clementi. They stole the show.

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 16, 2021, 02:39:40 AM

Return of the Jedi

This is the last Star Wars the girls and I will watch for a while, I think. This has a strong 1st Act with a great character concept in Jabba the Hutt. The rest, for me, were mixed feelings about introducing new elements whilst trying to tie up threads started in Empire. The opening song in Jabba's palace was the most egregious addition I didn't remember; and although I recall it in the news, I don't think I have ever seen Darth Vader yelling 'No!' either. But there were more obvious added shots throughout, and of course my cherished 'Yub Nub' is forever gone.

Overall, though, this was an enjoyable revisit after I realized the girls hadn't seen them before. They loved everything to do with R2-D2 and C-3PO, an aspect Lucas failed at recreating in his subsequent tales, and they were invested with Luke Skywalker throughout.

I semi-watched last night, running the commentary, which made not watching what I prefer not to watch easier. At times the commentary was mildly interesting, and Lucas was periodically less insufferable. Watching without the commentary tonight.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 17, 2021, 07:42:29 PM
I semi-watched last night, running the commentary, which made not watching what I prefer not to watch easier. At times the commentary was mildly interesting, and Lucas was periodically less insufferable. Watching without the commentary tonight.

Good luck to you, sir!
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 18, 2021, 10:17:22 AM
Good luck to you, sir!

Many as are my quarrels with Lucas: e.g. Upon revealing to Leia that she is his sister, Luke tells her that he knows that Vader is on that moon and that he is endangering the mission. So what does he do? Surrenders himself to the Imperial troops with the thin, thin assurance that—no, no, I'm here all on my own, really!—which isn't endangering his friends, no, no!) the scene of Luke lighting his father's pyre is a beautiful moment, and Lucas built it..
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 18, 2021, 03:09:14 PMthe scene of Luke lighting his father's pyre is a beautiful moment, and Lucas built it..

Lucas does excel at setting fire to beautiful things he's built.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on June 18, 2021, 03:39:45 PM
Lucas does excel at setting fire to beautiful things he's built.

Very well played, friend!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Last night, for fun: Diamonds Are Forever & Live and Let Die.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 19, 2021, 06:25:41 AM
Last night, for fun: Diamonds Are Forever & Live and Let Die.

Neat! Diamonds is such a silly venture. I am specifically thinking of Thumper and Bambi, the always odd Julian Glover, doppelgänger felines, and sausage magnate Jimmy Dean. I suppose LaLD is similar in tone, but I have a soft-spot for the early Roger Moore entry and its urban settings. No On Her Majesty's Secret Service?
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 19, 2021, 08:35:36 AM
Neat! Diamonds is such a silly venture. I am specifically thinking of Thumper and Bambi, the always odd Julian Glover, doppelgänger felines, and sausage magnate Jimmy Dean. I suppose LaLD is similar in tone, but I have a soft-spot for the early Roger Moore entry and its urban settings. No On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

Will go back to it.  I chose these two for borderline ignorability (last night)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Honest Thief

A bank robber has stolen millions from a number of banks over the years. One day he meets a woman with whom he falls in love with and he has a crisis of conscience. He phones the FBI and offers to turn himself in. That is when Life begins to get complicated.

vers la flamme

I watched this last night, as my girlfriend is out of town and she doesn't normally go for war movies. I loved it! It came highly recommended to me, and I can only echo the praise I've heard.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 20, 2021, 05:05:02 AM

I watched this last night, as my girlfriend is out of town and she doesn't normally go for war movies. I loved it! It came highly recommended to me, and I can only echo the praise I've heard.
Glad that you enjoyed it!  I watched it (I want to say last winter?) and really enjoyed it.  Did you watch the add-ons re camera work, etc.?  I don't know whether or not you had the DVD or were streaming it online, etc.  Anyway, I found it to be quite fascinating...along with digging of the trenches, etc.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vers la flamme

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 20, 2021, 05:09:44 AM
Glad that you enjoyed it!  I watched it (I want to say last winter?) and really enjoyed it.  Did you watch the add-ons re camera work, etc.?  I don't know whether or not you had the DVD or were streaming it online, etc.  Anyway, I found it to be quite fascinating...along with digging of the trenches, etc.  :)

PD

No I didn't see the add-ons; I was streaming via Amazon. But I would love to know more about the filmmaking process. I was really impressed with the cinematography. I'm a sucker for those long continuous shots.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. Music by Philip Glass.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 20, 2021, 06:05:35 AM
No I didn't see the add-ons; I was streaming via Amazon. But I would love to know more about the filmmaking process. I was really impressed with the cinematography. I'm a sucker for those long continuous shots.
I found some bits on youtube and other places by googling "making of 1917 movie".   :)  Other option:  see if you can borrow the DVD from through your library--or just buy a copy of the DVD.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 20, 2021, 06:14:05 AM
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. Music by Philip Glass.

I've been meaning to watch this for a few months now.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 20, 2021, 06:15:28 AM
I've been meaning to watch this for a few months now.

While the dvd receives average 4.5 star review rating on Amazon, I found the movie just good/interesting but not excellent.
The movie includes stories of Gold Pavilion and Kyoko's House, along with Mishima's life. Some people may get mixed up.
The Mishima part was vg, but I had a mixed feeling about the way his novels above were depicted. Plus, I didn't like some actors.
Anyway, it is a fine, interesting movie to Mishima fans. Not a bad movie. The music is excellent.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Memoirs of a Geisha.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 22, 2021, 04:33:18 AM
Memoirs of a Geisha.

I enjoyed the book if you have not read it; it was detailed and atmospheric.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on June 22, 2021, 05:01:43 AM
I enjoyed the book if you have not read it; it was detailed and atmospheric.

I must read the book! Many people in North America told me good things about the book.