Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on July 14, 2021, 07:42:00 PM
Except for Airplane! and Top Secret!, two of the greatest movies of all time!

:D

VonStupp

Exceptions duly noted! I assume Jane Austen's Mafia! would not be included though...  ;)
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Chronicle of a Death Foretold. Adaptation of the novel by G. Marquez.

VonStupp

What's New Pussycat? (1965)

Peter O'Toole, Peter Sellers, and Woody Allen together alongside a host of women for O'Toole to woo. One of the great Go-Kart chase sequences of all time and of course the Tom Jones title song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_v8-bY2Tms

These swinging 60's sex farces make me sad in retrospect, knowing what the 70's and 80's have in store as a consequence.

steve ridgway

Virtual Nightmare. A similar idea to The Matrix but quite entertaining in its own way.

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on July 15, 2021, 06:26:05 AM
What's New Pussycat? (1965)

Peter O'Toole, Peter Sellers, and Woody Allen together alongside a host of women for O'Toole to woo. One of the great Go-Kart chase sequences of all time and of course the Tom Jones title song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_v8-bY2Tms

These swinging 60's sex farces make me sad in retrospect, knowing what the 70's and 80's have in store as a consequence.

I enjoyed watching it once, but might not return to it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 15, 2021, 10:12:00 AM
I enjoyed watching it once, but might not return to it.

No, I probably wouldn't recommend this movie, it didn't quite sustain its humour, and Sellers was just plain weird. Only this ending chase had any energy, although it is easy to see O'Toole's matinee idol abilities here.

My wife and I are hit and miss with Woody Allen movies, and I can definitely see his hand on this one.

Iota

Fwiw, Airplane! and Duck Soup were two films that caused near fatal levels of hilarity on first viewing chez moi.  The scene where people are lining up to 'calm down' the hysterical woman in the former, and the mirror scene in the latter, spring to mind as possible candidates for initiating my last moments on this earth.

It's been a *very* long time since I've seen either, and I wonder if Airplane!, having been so frequently  imitated, would still have the same effect. One way to find out I guess ..

aligreto

Safe

Jason Statham has made a lot of slap, bang and wallop action films but there is sometimes something else lying underneath the surface.  And so it is with this one.....

Madiel

Quote from: aligreto on July 16, 2021, 02:41:07 AM
there is sometimes something else lying underneath the surface.

Muscles.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SimonNZ

Excellent documentary on photographer Shelby Lee Adams' photos of poor families in Kentucky, which includes interviews with his (non-Appalachian) critics who see them as perpetuating stereotypes, Adams' own responses and interviews with his subjects on how they feel they were portrayed.

For a relatively short running time this had a huge amount of food for thought and made for an interesting discussion afterwards.

greg

Loved it.

An adrenaline-fueled ride throughout, the perfect movie to watch if you are feeling bored.

Wish there more first person movies out there like this.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

milk

Stunning cinema like nothing else. Cassavetes makes experiences, cinema that is real art. I love how he works against the sensibilities of movies and confounds viewers' expectations of what a movie should be. Art can be revelatory, like a transfiguration, and it can restore hope in the human condition. Great art is a shock to the system. 

Brian

Quote from: Iota on July 15, 2021, 11:49:35 AM
Fwiw, Airplane! and Duck Soup were two films that caused near fatal levels of hilarity on first viewing chez moi.  The scene where people are lining up to 'calm down' the hysterical woman in the former, and the mirror scene in the latter, spring to mind as possible candidates for initiating my last moments on this earth.

It's been a *very* long time since I've seen either, and I wonder if Airplane!, having been so frequently  imitated, would still have the same effect. One way to find out I guess ..
The mirror scene in Duck Soup is one of the best jokes in movie history. I even like it when people try to imitate it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on July 19, 2021, 12:51:20 PM
The mirror scene in Duck Soup is one of the best jokes in movie history. I even like it when people try to imitate it.

Before I ever watched Duck Soup, I had seen the homage on I Love Lucy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

The County

Icelandic film from the same director as Rams, which people might be familiar with. A dairy farmer decides to take on her local co-operative, which sees as operating like the Mafia, controlling everything in the district.

Not as good as Rams I think, but definitely watchable.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Fargo

I thought that it was great way back then and I still do. It is such a quirky film!

George

Quote from: aligreto on July 21, 2021, 01:44:04 AM
Fargo

I thought that it was great way back then and I still do. It is such a quirky film!

Have you seen the TV show? The first two seasons are incredible!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on July 21, 2021, 04:20:47 AM
Have you seen the TV show? The first two seasons are incredible!
I have not. Is it based on this film?

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure