Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp

I had a chance to sit down with the two film sequels:

Funeral in Berlin (1966)
A too-serious sequel to Ipcress revolving around the Berlin Wall. A bit plain and plenty confusing, but Michael Caine throws stinging jabs left and right here.

Billion-Dollar Brain (1967)
A wacky course correction in tone, with a soft-spoken Michael Caine opposite Karl Malden, surrounded by a great snowy location in Finland. The infamous Ken Russell directs, Sir Richard Rodney Bennett provides a trippy score, and there is a lot of James Bond excess to finish off this espionage trilogy. I don't know if I will continue with the TV movies...

Quote from: VonStupp on July 22, 2021, 05:19:57 AM
The Ipcress File (1965)

I had never watched this Michael Caine film previously. It is a great espionage yarn, but with more office antics and conspiracy threads, and very artsy camera shots. The John Barry score, with its cimbalom tune, is ever reminiscent of James Bond's guitar motive.

It looks like I have a number of sequels to catch up on too.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

aligreto

Quote from: The new erato on July 26, 2021, 08:42:08 AM
As Good As It Gets. Fabulous perxormancd by Nicholson.

One of his very best, for me.

71 dB

Sinister

Some people consider this one a great horror flick, but it is not one of my favorites. It almost works better as a dark family drama movie. The horror is too much "in your face" and too violent/gory to my taste. This movie feels badly directed and the music feel lazy. Acting is however pretty good.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Sorry for the misspellings. I mainly post from a small cellphone these days.......

DavidW

Quote from: The new erato on July 27, 2021, 01:39:12 AM
Sorry for the misspellings. I mainly post from a small cellphone these days.......

Oh we just thought you had too much wine! ;D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mabuse

Quote from: VonStupp on July 26, 2021, 02:02:46 PM
Billion-Dollar Brain (1967)
A wacky course correction in tone, with a soft-spoken Michael Caine opposite Karl Malden, surrounded by a great snowy location in Finland. The infamous Ken Russell directs, Sir Richard Rodney Bennett provides a trippy score, and there is a lot of James Bond excess to finish off this espionage trilogy. I don't know if I will continue with the TV movies...

With Françoise Dorléac too...  :-*

In a movie theater, this is one of the most spectacular movies I have seen !!! :P 

DavidW

I rewatched Minority Report which I had not seen in a long, long time.  Good mystery, great action pieces, sometimes funny.  Pretty good movie!

It is about a police division that catches the killer before they commit the crime.  And then the lead detective is found to be the next killer and he goes on the run and strives to prove his innocence.

Madiel

One of Cruise's successes. He actually does involve himself in quite a few solid films.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

The new erato

Quote from: DavidW on July 27, 2021, 08:24:19 AM
Oh we just thought you had too much wine! ;D
Always a possibility!

SimonNZ

Superb. A worthy Cannes Palm d'Or winner.

Looking forward to also doing the commentary track. Especially wrt the "what does it mean?" of the final scene which my friend and I debated.

Will be exploring more of the filmography of director Jacques Audiard with A Prophet lined up for next week.

Madiel

The Exception (Undtagelsen)

Intriguing, twisty-turny film about small evils becoming bigger ones. The central characters are 4 women who work at a library/research centre on genocide, and there's some workplace tension there with the perception that a newcomer wants to take over the role of one of the others. You spend much of the movie trying to figure out who is doing the really horrible things as opposed to just being mean and catty.

I mean, things ESCALATE. That co-worker you're not friendly with? Maybe she's taking revenge in a big way. Maybe she has Issues. Maybe working in a research centre on genocide attracts people with Issues...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Watched David Lean's Great Expectations again last night.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Kajillionaire.  Pretty funny but smart movie.

George

Quote from: DavidW on August 01, 2021, 06:26:20 PM
Kajillionaire.  Pretty funny but smart movie.

I enjoyed that too.

Did you see Miranda July's first film? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415978/ It's even better, IMO.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

Quote from: George on August 01, 2021, 07:13:59 PM
I enjoyed that too.

Did you see Miranda July's first film? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415978/ It's even better, IMO.

Oh know, but if I find it on streaming I'll give it a watch.

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 01, 2021, 02:56:00 PM
Watched David Lean's Great Expectations again last night.

Ad, last night, Oliver Twist. You know, the only points at which I noticed Bax's score were when I was rather annoyed with it ... I should give it another go ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

A very strange Italian movie. I can't make any head or tail of it. So much so as the main protagonist is not even pictured on the cover...
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

71 dB

THE INVISIBLE MAN (Leigh Whannell, 2020)

A $7 million Australian modern movie adaptation of H. G. Wells' Invisible Man. This is a good movie. Good camerawork, good music (Benjamin Wallfisch), good acting (especially Elisabeth Moss), good use of special effects, good script. A solid four-stars-out-of-five movie and much more enjoyable than most mega-budget Hollywood "visual noise" movies these days.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA