Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Dead Poets Society. That was Norman Lloyd, whom I didn't know when I first saw the film.  Cameron was every bit the rat which Trask had hoped to make Charlie (in Scent of a Woman)

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 02, 2021, 10:36:00 AM
Viz. Dead Poets Society: I remembered loving it back when it opened. Perhaps three years ago I borrowed the DVD from the library.  I doubt I shall ever watch it again.

I'm at a loss to explain my reported indifference after checking it out from the BPL. So it it go. Damn, I enjoyed this! Probably cannot watch it with the wife, she would find the tragedy too depressing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 08, 2021, 06:14:42 PM
Dead Poets Society. That was Norman Lloyd, whom I didn't know when I first saw the film.  Cameron was every bit the rat which Trask had hoped to make Charlie (in Scent of a Woman)

I'm at a loss to explain my reported indifference after checking it out from the BPL. So it it go. Damn, I enjoyed this! Probably cannot watch it with the wife, she would find the tragedy too depressing.

Interesting to read your change of heart. As to your last point, I always wanted to show my wife Robin Williams' What Dreams May Come, of which I remember little other than the striking visuals, but I think it is a dreary trudge of sadness. Probably a no-go.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on September 09, 2021, 03:47:58 AM
Interesting to read your change of heart. As to your last point, I always wanted to show my wife Robin Williams' What Dreams May Come, of which I remember little other than the striking visuals, but I think it is a dreary trudge of sadness. Probably a no-go.

Nor, probably One Hour Photo, though Wliiams puts in a solid performance there, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roasted Swan

Just joined my local film club (10 films over the season for £30 - a bargain!).  Last night the season opened with;

not something I'd have seen otherwise but beautifully done and an insight into a society I know nothing about

milk

Quote from: greg on September 08, 2021, 09:36:03 AM
Funny seeing this now, having been rereading my Breaking Into Japanese literature book which includes several short stories for Japanese learners, including Rashomon, and have had this film in mind.

Did you know that the Rashomon movie was actually based on "In a Grove" by Akutagawa, rather than his story Rashomon itself?

I need to rewatch the movie btw, don't remember anything about it.
I didn't know that and I've never read those short stories. I don't read a lot of short stories but I've read a lot of Japanese literature. How are those stories? I'm guessing Kurosawa had his own idea of how to use the material. I'm not a huge fan of his anyway but I love love love Ozu who is sublime and whose films are as deep as any novel.

SonicMan46

Well has been a number of months but I decided to add some 4K replacements for several BDs in my collection:

The Sting (1973) w/ Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Robert Shaw and so many others; always such an atmospheric film - package includes two discs (BD & 4K UHD) plus a 'digital copy' code.  Ratings HERE; now the video might have been better restored but still felt from the review linked to be a major improvement; and indeed to my eyes, 'The Sting' has never looked better.  Winner of 7 Oscars, including best picture - a must in any decent film collection -  :laugh:  Highly recommended.

Finding Nemo (2003) - the classic Disney Pixar animation, knocked down in price nearly 60% at Amazon; contains 3 discs (one of extras), plus the digital code.  Now at my age, I don't buy many animation films but a few over the last 20+ years I like to re-watch occasionally, e.g. Ratatouille is now out on 4K at the same price - hmmm?  Outstanding ratings HERE, although this was such a great BD that the improvements are minimal according to the comments.  Dave :)

Madiel

Ratatouille is one of my favourite films. Just saying.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Madiel on September 09, 2021, 01:45:03 PM
Ratatouille is one of my favourite films. Just saying.

Ratatouille has similarly come down in price and is tempting, i.e. I love the film too!  8)

As seen in the image from HERE, the video and audio marks are impressive - NOW, why does the 4K vs. 2K (std. BD) show a better rating for the poorer resolution - a common occurrence at this website (which I love, BTW) - my feeling is that the judging standards are different for the two resolutions - when reading the video comments the 4K is stated as much better than the 2K (see quote below) - SO, maybe an upcoming purchase?  Dave :)

QuoteRatatouille's UHD disc delivers impressive results both visually and aurally. The 2160p resolution sharpens and clarifies the image while the HDR colors add a new level of depth and punch. The Atmos soundtrack is very well rounded. Highly recommended.

greg

Quote from: milk on September 09, 2021, 09:01:22 AM
I didn't know that and I've never read those short stories. I don't read a lot of short stories but I've read a lot of Japanese literature. How are those stories? I'm guessing Kurosawa had his own idea of how to use the material. I'm not a huge fan of his anyway but I love love love Ozu who is sublime and whose films are as deep as any novel.
Well, In a Grove is certainly dark and to the point in its storytelling (though it feels like the reader is meant to extract some sort of meaning- almost feels like a dark Aesop's fable with a moral that is supposed to be interpreted by the reader rather than something obvious).

I also recently watched Aoi Bungaku, which is a collection of Japanese stories in Anime form.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/7193/Aoi_Bungaku_Series

My favorite was this one: "Sakura No Mori No Mankai No Shita (In The Forest, Under Cherries In Full Bloom)"
Holy shit, what an insane story that was.

Actually, now that I thought of it, I just ordered a new copy of the book in Japanese. Aaaaand saw that there was a movie release back in 1975. Hell yeah.  8)

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

milk

Quote from: greg on September 09, 2021, 03:00:28 PM
Well, In a Grove is certainly dark and to the point in its storytelling (though it feels like the reader is meant to extract some sort of meaning- almost feels like a dark Aesop's fable with a moral that is supposed to be interpreted by the reader rather than something obvious).

I also recently watched Aoi Bungaku, which is a collection of Japanese stories in Anime form.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/7193/Aoi_Bungaku_Series

My favorite was this one: "Sakura No Mori No Mankai No Shita (In The Forest, Under Cherries In Full Bloom)"
Holy shit, what an insane story that was.

Actually, now that I thought of it, I just ordered a new copy of the book in Japanese. Aaaaand saw that there was a movie release back in 1975. Hell yeah.  8)
Ango Sakaguchi? I'd never heard of that writer. A lot of that post-war writing strikes me as narcissistic and alienated. Indeed this writer is listed as part of the "decadent school" that included Dazai. I liked that stuff a lot but it's been many years since I've read it. I wonder if I would get through it nowadays. Mishima is the other side of the coin, rejecting decadence in favor of nationalism that seems equally narcissistic to me. Anyway, they were talented and I'm sure the anime could be weird in an interesting way. 

For Cinema, as I said before, Ozu is in another universe, not perceptible from decadent and alienated post-war hand-wringing. Ozu is human and sublime. It's more my speed, although Kurusawa tried to present grand moral ideas that are important in some examples. 

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 05, 2021, 08:11:05 AM
I know: playing a blind man dancing the tango. Fearless acting!

Any film featuring Por una Cabeza gets a thumbs up from me, regardless.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on September 10, 2021, 05:39:20 AM
Any film featuring Por una Cabeza gets a thumbs up from me, regardless.

Seguro!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

This is just an extraordinary film. I felt like these characters were so real and their lives so vital and moving. I love Mike Leigh. I wish there were more filmmakers like this.

SonicMan46

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) w/ James Stewart, Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara, Eve Arden, George C. Scott, Arthur O'Connell, and Kathryn Grant; Otto Preminger, director.  Short synopsis below - film score by Duke Ellington who briefly appears in the film.  This morning I was looking at various lists of 'Best Court Room' movies and perused my own collection which includes the list of 16 or so at the bottom - main criterion is that court room scenes have to be an important part of the film; there are many others that allude to court or have only brief scenes.  A list of 30 HERE includes many I own; also I've seen many others in these various listings, but have not made purchases - what are some of your favorites in this film genre?  Dave  8)

P.S. looking at the young Lee Remick in this production is a bonus for us 'ole men'!  :P

QuoteAnatomy of a Murder is an American courtroom drama crime film produced and directed by Otto Preminger. The screenplay by Wendell Mayes was based on the 1958 novel of the same name written by Michigan Supreme Court Justice John D. Voelker under the pen name Robert Traver. Voelker based the novel on a 1952 murder case in which he was the defense attorney. The judge was played by Joseph N. Welch, a real-life lawyer famous for dressing down Joseph McCarthy during the Army–McCarthy hearings. It has a musical score by Duke Ellington, who also appears in the film. It has been described by Michael Asimow, UCLA law professor and co-author of Reel Justice: The Courtroom Goes to the Movies (2006), as "probably the finest pure trial movie ever made". (Source)

Quote12 Angry Men (1957) - Fonda & So Many Others
A Few Good Men (1992) - Cruise, Nicholson, & Moore
A Time to Kill (1996) - McConaughey, Bullock, et al
Amistad (1997) - Hopkins, McConaughey, & Freeman
Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - Stewart, Remick, Gazzara, et al
Bridge of Spies (2015) - Hanks, Rylance, et al
Inherit the Wind (1960) - Tracy, March, Kelly
Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) - Tracy, Lancaster, & Many
My Cousin Vinny (1992) - Pesci, Tormei, Macchio, et al
Paths of Glory (1957) - Douglas, Menjou, et al
Pelican Brief, The (1993) - Roberts & Washington
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Peck et al
Verdict, The (1982) - Paul Newman & Charlotte Rampling
Witness for the Prosecution (1957) - Power, Laughton, Dietrich
Young Philadelphians, The (1959) - Newman, Vaughn, & Rush

Iota

I'd be posting this in the 'Films that have blown you away recently' thread if such existed. After the various okay but somewhat half-baked films I've seen recently, this felt just so real and penetrating, art in the raw. An unforgettable and brilliantly played grandfather/granddaughter relationship, and an exploration of some untamed regions of the human psyche that lurk just beneath a social veneer, all set against a bewitching Icelandic backdrop. Magnificent filmmaking! I'll be keeping an eye out for any future productions from Hlynur Palmason.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Iota on September 10, 2021, 10:45:05 AM

Just watched the trailer for this, looks fascinating. Thanks for posting, Iota..

TD: I've been really enjoying the Criterion Channel on my apple tv, tons of great content to explore, and here are a few I watched for the first time recently...Bergmans Through a Glass Darkly (1961), and Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer Day (1991)

Karl Henning

Flash Gordon ... another I hadn't seen since the year it opened
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

For the first time, very agreeably tortuous: The Lady from Shanghai
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: Iota on September 10, 2021, 10:45:05 AM

I'd be posting this in the 'Films that have blown you away recently' thread if such existed. After the various okay but somewhat half-baked films I've seen recently, this felt just so real and penetrating, art in the raw. An unforgettable and brilliantly played grandfather/granddaughter relationship, and an exploration of some untamed regions of the human psyche that lurk just beneath a social veneer, all set against a bewitching Icelandic backdrop. Magnificent filmmaking! I'll be keeping an eye out for any future productions from Hlynur Palmason.

Whereas I did not like this. I found it rather disappointing.

I can't tell you all of the specifics of why 2 years later, I just have a recollection of finding it dour, slow and sometimes unpleasant. Maybe I just like my art to be a little more cooked.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vers la flamme

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 10, 2021, 12:37:56 PM
Just watched the trailer for this, looks fascinating. Thanks for posting, Iota..

TD: I've been really enjoying the Criterion Channel on my apple tv, tons of great content to explore, and here are a few I watched for the first time recently...Bergmans Through a Glass Darkly (1961), and Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer Day (1991)

I loved Through a Glass Darkly but I haven't seen it in years, when I went through a Bergman kick in college. A Brighter Summer Day looks absolutely phenomenal but I have not seen it.