Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 10, 2021, 07:33:20 PM
For the first time, very agreeably tortuous: The Lady from Shanghai

Was rigging up to watch this, and in the first 30 seconds or so, realized that Orson Wells would spend the entire movie talking in a corny Irish accent. :(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 13, 2021, 11:51:37 PM
Was rigging up to watch this, and in the first 30 seconds or so, realized that Orson Wells would spend the entire movie talking in a corny Irish accent. :(
:laugh:  Oh, no!!!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 13, 2021, 11:51:37 PM

Interesting. I don't say I did not note it, but I certainly didn't find it fatal to the endeavor.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2021, 07:02:48 AM
Interesting. I don't say I did not note it, but I certainly didn't find it fatal to the endeavor.

I won't say it is "fatal" but it makes makes me think of Orson Wells' performance as sort of silly.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

milk

I'd never seen a Wong Kar-wai film before. I can't say I loved this but I may try another one of his. This struck me as a bit too precious and nerdy for me. I can imagine how much film students would love it. For me, this is not great cinema - though I understand why he would have a big fan base.

SonicMan46

Rear Window (1954) w/ James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey, Thelma Ritter, & Raymond Burr; Alfred Hitchcock, director - 4K package includes a BD and a digital copy - arguably one of Hitch's best films; the AV restoration is noticeableb super (and Grace Kelly never looked more beautiful in color!) - reviews #1 and #2 for those interested - highly recommended in whatever format!  Dave :)

George

Quote from: milk on September 16, 2021, 05:59:21 AM
I'd never seen a Wong Kar-wai film before. I can't say I loved this but I may try another one of his. This struck me as a bit too precious and nerdy for me. I can imagine how much film students would love it. For me, this is not great cinema - though I understand why he would have a big fan base.

Chungking Express - I didn't like it that much either. I do love Wong Kar Wai's In The Mood For Love and it's sequel, 2046.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Another strong recommendation here for In The Mood For Love (the title and poster image don't represent the film well at all if they make you hesitate, as I know they have with some others I've tried to persuade to watch it).

I

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 16, 2021, 04:53:54 PM
Another strong recommendation here for In The Mood For Love (the title and poster image don't represent the film well at all if they make you hesitate, as I know they have with some others I've tried to persuade to watch it).

I

I like the cover on the Criterion edition:

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 16, 2021, 08:03:10 AM
Rear Window (1954) w/ James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey, Thelma Ritter, & Raymond Burr; Alfred Hitchcock, director - 4K package includes a BD and a digital copy - arguably one of Hitch's best films; the AV restoration is noticeableb super (and Grace Kelly nether looked more beautiful in color!) - reviews #1 and #2 for those interested - highly recommended in whatever format!  Dave :)

It's a beauty, Dave!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Karl Henning

One of my favorite Williams performances, in Elaine May's brilliant screenplay: The Birdcage.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on September 16, 2021, 05:27:14 PM
I like the cover on the Criterion edition:

The one I saw at the cinemas here and on the VHS and DVD releases was this one that makes you think you might be in for something like Lust, Caution:

Artem

I love Kar-Wai Wong. is one of my all time favourite films. I love how romantic it is and how it doesn't take itself too serious, as opposed to In the Mood for Love, for example that I also love for other reasons. Happy Together is another superb film.

aligreto

Ice Road

This one was posted recently so I gave it a watch. As already stated it was nothing extraordinary but it did entertain for a couple of hours.

Todd

The Tomorrow War.  Chris Pratt takes the lead in this Terminator meets Prometheus meets Starship Troopers meets The Thing meets any number of other sci fi flicks flick.  The action and direction is by the numbers, the dialogue mediocre, and the CGI so pervasive, that even given it's B/B+ quality, it gets tired to look at.  The cast is suitably diverse to check various production boxes and play well overseas (or it would have in 2019 or before).  Pratt is inoffensive as an action star, though he lacks his father-in-law's charisma or one liner ability.  Muscly old JK Simmons talks with edge and wisdom, or something, and Sam Richardson brings Richard Splett to the action movie world.  It's better than The Ice Road; it's mediocre+.  Maybe 2022 sees the return of good action flicks.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

TheGSMoeller

For the Wong Kar Wai fans here...
Criterion released this World of Wong Kar Wai set back in March, I think it's their best box to date. I've never seen Happy Together and Fallen Angels look this good before, and the filmmakers changed the aspect ratio of these films to a wider ratio. Great special features and booklet are included.

George

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 18, 2021, 06:42:20 AM
For the Wong Kar Wai fans here...
Criterion released this World of Wong Kar Wai set back in March, I think it's their best box to date. I've never seen Happy Together and Fallen Angels look this good before, and the filmmakers changed the aspect ratio of these films to a wider ratio. Great special features and booklet are included.

Thanks, GS! Looks like from multiple amazon reviews that they have issues with quality control on that set, though. :(

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: George on September 18, 2021, 07:24:26 AM
Thanks, GS! Looks like from multiple amazon reviews that they have issues with quality control on that set, though. :(

Woah! I never read the reviews until you mentioned it. I'll admit I've only watched 2 of the discs from this set since I've purchased it in March and have had no issues, plus mine arrived with no damage, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. 

George

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 18, 2021, 07:41:55 AM
Woah! I never read the reviews until you mentioned it. I'll admit I've only watched 2 of the discs from this set since I've purchased it in March and have had no issues, plus mine arrived with no damage, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Glad your luck has been good.

A shame that, in what seems to be the final days of physical releases, even a company like Criterion can't produce packaging that protects their hard work.