Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: Artem on September 16, 2021, 11:47:24 PM
I love Kar-Wai Wong. is one of my all time favourite films. I love how romantic it is and how it doesn't take itself too serious, as opposed to In the Mood for Love, for example that I also love for other reasons. Happy Together is another superb film.

Loved Happy Together, though it must have been almost 10 years now since I've seen it. Recently watched 2046 which I found very good, albeit quite bizarre. The only other WKW film I've seen is As Tears Go By. I find him an intriguing filmmaker and would love to see the others, but it can be a challenge convincing others to watch his films with me.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 18, 2021, 08:23:34 AM
Loved Happy Together, though it must have been almost 10 years now since I've seen it. Recently watched 2046 which I found very good, albeit quite bizarre. The only other WKW film I've seen is As Tears Go By. I find him an intriguing filmmaker and would love to see the others, but it can be a challenge convincing others to watch his films with me.

You don't need others, just enjoy them alone   :) , I'm watching films by myself about 50% of the time, perhaps even more, and that includes going to the theater. I don't want that added anxiety of wondering if they are enjoying the film as much as I am.

Fëanor

Last evening I watch the 2011 production of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, starring Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, et al., directed by Tomas Alfredson.  Not bad, not great.

Actually, it's very disappointing compared to the superlative 1979 BBC production starring Alex Guinness, Ian Richardson, et al., directed by John Irvin.  Probably my all-time favourite TV mini-series.

milk

This is a fascinating documentary and many people's favorite. I liked it very much though it's not exactly my favorite doc ever made. But I can see why people find it so important. It's fascinating. I think the struggle here, political, social, moral, whatever it is, is one part of this and the other is the culture of the people - their music, way of speaking, etc. This is something to behold and maybe something mostly lost. I really wouldn't know what Kentucky is like these days. The most amazing part of this is the women. They're fearless, strong, funny, brave, crazy, etc. I guess there are a lot of "characters" here but it feels like the women steal the show.   

SonicMan46

Quote from: milk on September 22, 2021, 05:33:23 AM

This is a fascinating documentary and many people's favorite. I liked it very much though it's not exactly my favorite doc ever made. But I can see why people find it so important. It's fascinating. I think the struggle here, political, social, moral, whatever it is, is one part of this and the other is the culture of the people - their music, way of speaking, etc. This is something to behold and maybe something mostly lost. I really wouldn't know what Kentucky is like these days. The most amazing part of this is the women. They're fearless, strong, funny, brave, crazy, etc. I guess there are a lot of "characters" here but it feels like the women steal the show.

Boy, I've not seen that documentary in decades, BUT was a big fan of the TV series Justified, described below, which aired from 2010-2015 - many of the episodes center on crime in Harlan County w/ a 'westernized' approach - believe I own about half of the seasons on Amazon Prime Video - recommended if the link is of interest - now out in BD - need to check the prices.  Dave :)

QuoteJustified is an American Western crime drama television series that premiered on March 16, 2010, on the FX network. Developed by Graham Yost, it is based on Elmore Leonard's stories about the character Raylan Givens, particularly "Fire in the Hole". Timothy Olyphant portrays Raylan Givens, a tough deputy U.S. Marshal enforcing his own brand of justice. The series revolves around the inhabitants and culture in the Appalachian mountains area of eastern Kentucky, specifically Harlan County where many of the main characters grew up. It also features Lexington, Kentucky where the local U.S. Marshals office is situated.[4] The series, comprising 78 episodes, was aired over six seasons and concluded on April 14, 2015. (Source)

George

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 22, 2021, 08:04:53 AM
Boy, I've not seen that documentary in decades, BUT was a big fan of the TV series Justified, described below, which aired from 2010-2015 - many of the episodes center on crime in Harlan County w/ a 'westernized' approach - believe I own about half of the seasons on Amazon Prime Video - recommended if the link is of interest - now out in BD - need to check the prices.  Dave :)

Justified is an excellent show. I've watched the entire series twice. Big fan of Walton Goggins.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Alice in Wonderland (2010) - the Tim Burton version described below - film received mixed ratings: 51%, Rotten Tomatoes; 6.4/10, IMDB - the costumes, makeup, visuals, animated characters I find wonderful in this 'dark' fantasy-adventure production - on Amazon, I would likely do a 4*/5*; wife was less enthusiastic and would probably go to 3*, and also felt this would be a 'scary' film for young kids?  Don't know, but if you're a Depp/Burton fan, then consider a watch. 

American President, The (1995) w/ Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, and others - of the hundreds of DVDs, BDs, DVD-Rs, and now 4Ks that I own, there are just a dozen or so that my wife and I enjoy to watch equally - this is one; short synopsis below - recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteAlice in Wonderland is a 2010 American live-action/animated dark fantasy adventure film directed by Tim Burton from a screenplay written by Linda Woolverton. The film stars Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Crispin Glover, Matt Lucas, and Mia Wasikowska, and voices of Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry, Michael Sheen, and Timothy Spall. Loosely inspired by Lewis Carroll's fantasy novels, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, and Walt Disney's 1951 animated film of the same name, the film tells the story of a nineteen-year-old Alice Kingsleigh, who is told that she can restore the White Queen to her throne, with the help of the Mad Hatter. She is the only one who can slay the Jabberwocky, a dragon-like creature that is controlled by the Red Queen and terrorizes Underland's inhabitants. In this situation, the Hatter and Alice fights against the Red Queen to protect the world. (Source)

QuoteThe American President is a 1995 American romantic comedy-drama film directed and produced by Rob Reiner and written by Aaron Sorkin. The film stars Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, and Richard Dreyfuss. In the film, President Andrew Shepherd (Douglas) is a widower who pursues a relationship with environmental lobbyist Sydney Ellen Wade (Bening) – who has just moved to Washington, D.C. – while at the same time attempting to win the passage of a crime control bill during a re-election year. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 22, 2021, 08:31:19 AM
Alice in Wonderland (2010) - the Tim Burton version described below - film received mixed ratings: 51%, Rotten Tomatoes; 6.4/10, IMDB - the costumes, makeup, visuals, animated characters I find wonderful in this 'dark' fantasy-adventure production - on Amazon, I would likely do a 4*/5*; wife was less enthusiastic and would probably go to 3*, and also felt this would be a 'scary' film for young kids?  Don't know, but if you're a Depp/Burton fan, then consider a watch. 

American President, The (1995) w/ Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, and others - of the hundreds of DVDs, BDs, DVD-Rs, and now 4Ks that I own, there are just a dozen or so that my wife and I enjoy to watch equally - this is one; short synopsis below - recommended.  Dave :)

Myself, not a fan when Burton puts his "stamp" on the classics. That said, I might ought to revisit Sleepy Hollow. See if I actually object to it to the degree I seem to remember ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 22, 2021, 08:38:29 AM
Myself, not a fan when Burton puts his "stamp" on the classics. That said, I might ought to revisit Sleepy Hollow. See if I actually object to it to the degree I seem to remember ....

Hi Karl - well, I'm not a 'big fan' of Tim Burton - below are the movies he has directed; I've seen nearly all, but own just a half dozen (blue boxes), including Sleepy Hollow, guess that I am more of a Johnny Depp fan?  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 22, 2021, 09:58:21 AM
Hi Karl - well, I'm not a 'big fan' of Tim Burton - below are the movies he has directed; I've seen nearly all, but own just a half dozen (blue boxes), including Sleepy Hollow, guess that I am more of a Johnny Depp fan?  Dave :)

Hey, Dave. I guess I forgot that he directed the Planet of the Apes remake. I remember liking it fairly well. I think I was in Tallinn when I saw bits of Sleepy Hollow ... arguably less than ideal circs. I am profoundly uninterested in his Chocolate Factory.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

I found myself partly grateful for his Dark Shadows ... I had scarcely watched any of the long-running series while I was growing up, so having a kind of précis of the show was something I liked.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on September 22, 2021, 08:14:01 AM
Justified is an excellent show. I've watched the entire series twice. Big fan of Walton Goggins.

Hi George - same here, i.e. x2 - tried to get my wife interested but she 'gave up' after a few episodes - could not get into or dislike the characters.  I'll likely watch again - own 3 seasons on Amazon Prime in SD - would love to see the HD versions on my new 4K HDTV and often cheaper to just buy the complete physical package - on DVD, the set is available for $40 only (the cost I'd pay to watch those seasons that I don't own) - NOW, I would greatly prefer the BD box but @ $100 not going to happen, plus when I look at Amazon Prime for HD upgrades of those seasons owned, the B*%^TARDS want $25 for each season!  NOW, if that BD box comes down to $50 or so and/or if I get some Amazon cash from my AMEX card, then maybe a consideration?  Dave  :laugh:

SonicMan46

Quote from: milk on September 22, 2021, 05:33:23 AM

Watched and enjoyed last night on my HBO+ steaming membership, and it was the Criterion version!  Before COVID we took a lot of car trips, either to the coast or mountains, and often in adjacent states - we've been in Harlan county in southeast Kentucky near the Cumberland Gap National Park; also, have been to West Virginia a half dozen times, including several visits to the Beckley Coal Mine Museum, where a tour on a coal train into the mine is available - the guides were real coal miners - highly recommended for those in the area (not even sure if it's open at the moment w/ the pandemic?).  Dave :)

LKB

The Natural

There's no other film which so emphatically expresses what we wish our heroes could be, baseball or otherwise.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on September 24, 2021, 11:25:24 AM
The Natural

There's no other film which so emphatically expresses what we wish our heroes could be, baseball or otherwise.

Sweet!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Something's Gotta Give

This is light and trite and about finding Love in later life. I like Nicholson, Keaton and Reeves. This was a re-watch but I still found it entertaining.

VonStupp

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (2021)
Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson, Salma Hayek
Antonio Bandares, Morgan Freeman

This sequel is sillier and even more curse-laden than the 2017 original. Pretty, mindless action, set in the Mediterranean.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Quote from: LKB on September 24, 2021, 11:25:24 AM
The Natural

Don't remember much of this movie, but Randy Newman's score comes to mind as something that caught my attention.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) w/ Cary Grant, Priscilla Lane, Raymond Massey, Peter Lorre and others; Frank Capra, director - one of the unique Hollywood comedies that still is funny and entertaining w/ the three stars below who could so easily switch from this type of role to series drama, especially Grant. Short synopsis below - more at the link for those interested; comes in #30 on AFI 100 Laughs films - highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteArsenic and Old Lace is a 1944 American black comedy film directed by Frank Capra and starring Cary Grant, Priscilla Lane, Raymond Massey, Peter Lorre, Jack Carson, and Edward Everett Horton. It was based on Joseph Kesselring's 1941 play, Arsenic and Old Lace. The script adaptation was written by Julius J. & Philip G. Epstein. The contract with the play's producers stipulated that the film would not be released until the Broadway run ended. The original planned release date was September 30, 1942. The play was a tremendous hit, running for three and a half years, so the film was not released until 1944. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 25, 2021, 07:29:54 AM
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) w/ Cary Grant, Priscilla Lane, Raymond Massey, Peter Lorre and others; Frank Capra, director - one of the unique Hollywood comedies that still is funny and entertaining w/ the three stars below who could so easily switch from this type of role to series drama, especially Grant. Short synopsis below - more at the link for those interested; comes in #30 on AFI 100 Laughs films - highly recommended.  Dave :)

Great fun!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA