Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: George on September 16, 2021, 09:12:07 AM
Chungking Express - I didn't like it that much either. I do love Wong Kar Wai's In The Mood For Love and it's sequel, 2046.
I'm gonna give these a shot then. Thanks!

milk

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 23, 2021, 10:26:28 AM
Watched and enjoyed last night on my HBO+ steaming membership, and it was the Criterion version!  Before COVID we took a lot of car trips, either to the coast or mountains, and often in adjacent states - we've been in Harlan county in southeast Kentucky near the Cumberland Gap National Park; also, have been to West Virginia a half dozen times, including several visits to the Beckley Coal Mine Museum, where a tour on a coal train into the mine is available - the guides were real coal miners - highly recommended for those in the area (not even sure if it's open at the moment w/ the pandemic?).  Dave :)
That sounds like a cool trip. I'd love to ask more questions to local people about the topic. I wonder if the culture is gone: the music, way of life and way of expressing themselves. In the movie, the men stand around Whittling wood!! That's real! I never thought that was a real thing! The movie give one a lot of affection for the people and their struggle. 

milk

Did I already put this up here? This is a marvelous creation. It's just so much fun. Leigh takes you into the nitty-gritty of the creation of a theatrical work of art from beginning to end and he does it with eyes of love. There really is nothing quite like this. This also will satisfy those who are interested in the historical period.

aligreto

All Is Lost

This was posted recently and it was a re-watch for me. It is one of those films where there is not much action but there certainly is a lot going on at the same time. The dialogue is minimal but the ambient sound of the film is wonderful. The soundtrack is pretty good too. 

VonStupp

Quote from: milk on September 26, 2021, 03:49:41 AM

Did I already put this up here? This is a marvelous creation. It's just so much fun. Leigh takes you into the nitty-gritty of the creation of a theatrical work of art from beginning to end and he does it with eyes of love. There really is nothing quite like this. This also will satisfy those who are interested in the historical period.

Agreed. A Gilbert & Sullivan biopic that entwines relationships with the manic energy of putting on a show (The Mikado, I think?). A nice balancing act if I remember correctly.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

George

Quote from: milk on September 26, 2021, 03:41:36 AM
I'm gonna give these a shot then. Thanks!

No problem, hope you enjoy them. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

As Good as It Gets (1997) w/ Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear and others - Nicholson in a great transition from basically an 'asshole' to a considerate and generous human being - fun to watch as is Hunt, both won the Best Acting Oscars for the year - highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteAs Good as It Gets is a 1997 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by James L. Brooks, who co-wrote it with Mark Andrus. The film stars Jack Nicholson as a misanthropic, homophobic and obsessive-compulsive novelist, Helen Hunt as a single mother with a chronically ill son, and Greg Kinnear as an artist who is gay. Nicholson and Hunt won the Academy Award for Best Actor and Best Actress, respectively, making it the most recent film to win both of the lead acting awards, since 1991's The Silence of the Lambs. It was also nominated for Best Picture but ultimately lost to Titanic. It is ranked 140th on Empire magazine's "The 500 Greatest Movies of All Time" list. (Source)

VonStupp

Neil Simon's Brighton Beach Memoirs (1986)

A gentle, slice-of-life, coming-of-age drama/comedy. I like these types of movies; they may not move heaven and earth, but it is a cozy ride. Plus, a solid ensemble of character actors (It's been a while since I have thought of Fyvush Finkel).

VS

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 26, 2021, 07:31:42 AM
As Good as It Gets (1997) w/ Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear and others - Nicholson in a great transition from basically an 'asshole' to a considerate and generous human being - fun to watch as is Hunt, both won the Best Acting Oscars for the year - highly recommended.  Dave :)

That is my favourite Nicholson film. However, the entire cast were excellent, particularly Hunt.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on September 26, 2021, 10:00:41 AM
That is my favourite Nicholson film. However, the entire cast were excellent, particularly Hunt.

+ 1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: VonStupp on September 26, 2021, 09:08:46 AM
Neil Simon's Brighton Beach Memoirs (1986)

A gentle, slice-of-life, coming-of-age drama/comedy. I like these types of movies; they may not move heaven and earth, but it is a cozy ride. Plus, a solid ensemble of character actors (It's been a while since I have thought of Fyvush Finkel).

VS

I had the opportunity to see both the film and stage (via a touring company) versions of Biloxi Blues, the next installment of the trilogy which started with BBM.  I found the stage version better, for reasons inherent in the different mediums: no distractions in the background, lighting cues that focused one's attention, no camera close-ups, etc.  The movie softened the dramatic elements and highlighted the comedic elements in contrast to the stage version.  I have to wonder how that applies to all of Simon's works.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

VonStupp

Quote from: JBS on September 26, 2021, 12:39:26 PM
I had the opportunity to see both the film and stage (via a touring company) versions of Biloxi Blues, the next installment of the trilogy which started with BBM.  I found the stage version better, for reasons inherent in the different mediums: no distractions in the background, lighting cues that focused one's attention, no camera close-ups, etc.  The movie softened the dramatic elements and highlighted the comedic elements in contrast to the stage version.  I have to wonder how that applies to all of Simon's works.

I would imagine Brighton Beach is probably better on stage as well; the claustrophobia of the apartment this extended family is living in seems like it would be more effective on stage. Neil Simon's way with conversation remains stagey in the film, but New York as a set piece opens up that dialog a little bit. Can't say I laughed a whole lot, but it was amusing enough.

Haven't seen Biloxi Blues (1988) in a while, but Christopher Walken was mighty memorable and quite scary as the unpredictable and unstable drill sergeant. It would be great to have seen these on stage, I hope it was a good time.

VS

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 26, 2021, 04:42:33 AM
All Is Lost

This was posted recently and it was a re-watch for me. It is one of those films where there is not much action but there certainly is a lot going on at the same time. The dialogue is minimal but the ambient sound of the film is wonderful. The soundtrack is pretty good too.
I remember reading that Robert Redford lost a goodly chunk of hearing in one of his ears during the coarse of making that film.  :(

From a website called helpingmehear.com (an article about notable actors that wear hearing aids)

"4. Robert Redford
Robert Redford was fortunate to have great hearing at an age when over 50% of people have disabling hearing loss. But sadly, during the 2013 filming of All Is Lost, he chose to do his own stunts. These included repeated submersion in water and being sprayed by a water cannon. He developed an ear infection that caused 60% loss of hearing.

Redford recounted in an interview, "I went to a hearing guy in Utah, and he said, "You've lost a substantial part of your hearing." I asked, "Am I going to get it back?" He said, "No.'"

Faced with this prognosis, Redford chose to get hearing aids."

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Empire of the Sun

Had never seen this movie before, but due to comments by relm1 in the film music thread, I decided to get ahold of a copy to watch.

Excellent film!  Really enjoyed learning about the topic (Japan's invasion of Shanghai in 1937 including eventually an apparently safe enclave, known as "the International Settlement". Within it, British, American and European businessmen lived a privileged life--along with their families--and were waited on by their Chinese servants.  It focuses on their struggle for survival after the invasion.).

It's seen from one young boy's eyes--J. G. Ballard (who apparently lived through this himself as a lad and wrote a book about his experiences).  The young James (Jim) is played by a young Christian Bale.  The movie is from 1987.

The DVD that I watched also has a flip side with commentary and shots of the filming (watching a bit of that now).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 27, 2021, 05:26:33 AM
I remember reading that Robert Redford lost a goodly chunk of hearing in one of his ears during the coarse of making that film.  :(

From a website called helpingmehear.com (an article about notable actors that wear hearing aids)

"4. Robert Redford
Robert Redford was fortunate to have great hearing at an age when over 50% of people have disabling hearing loss. But sadly, during the 2013 filming of All Is Lost, he chose to do his own stunts. These included repeated submersion in water and being sprayed by a water cannon. He developed an ear infection that caused 60% loss of hearing.

Redford recounted in an interview, "I went to a hearing guy in Utah, and he said, "You've lost a substantial part of your hearing." I asked, "Am I going to get it back?" He said, "No.'"

Faced with this prognosis, Redford chose to get hearing aids."

PD

That's a damned shame! Not long ago I re-watched "Nothing in the Dark" from Season 3 of The Twilight Zone, in which he plays across from the great Gladys Cooper. He's very young in there, but by no means bad.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 27, 2021, 09:53:18 AM
Empire of the Sun

Had never seen this movie before, but due to comments by relm1 in the film music thread, I decided to get ahold of a copy to watch.

Excellent film!  Really enjoyed learning about the topic (Japan's invasion of Shanghai in 1937 including eventually an apparently safe enclave (the International Settlement) within it where British, American and European businessmen (perhaps others?) lived a nice life--along with their families--and were waited on by their Chinese servants.  It focuses on their struggle for survival after the invasion.

It's seen from one young boy's eyes--J. G. Ballard (who apparently lived through this himself as a lad and wrote a book about his experiences).  The young James (Jim) is played by a young Christian Bale.  The movie is from 1987.

The DVD that I watched also has a flip side with commentary and shots of the filming (watching a bit of that now).

PD

+1 - own the BD inserted above - a fan also, especially of the 'young' Christian Bale who I felt was fantastic in the film; not loved by all, 75% on Rotten Tomatoes & 7.7/10 on IMDB - my package has a second DVD disc which I've not even watched (believe a doc on Warner Brothers and the war narrated by Spielberg).  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 27, 2021, 10:12:24 AM
That's a damned shame! Not long ago I re-watched "Nothing in the Dark" from Season 3 of The Twilight Zone, in which he plays across from the great Gladys Cooper. He's very young in there, but by no means bad.
Don't know that episode; perhaps I'll need to visit (re?) it. 

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 27, 2021, 10:31:29 AM
+1 - own the BD inserted above - a fan also, especially of the 'young' Christian Bale who I felt was fantastic in the film; not loved by all, 75% on Rotten Tomatoes & 7.7/10 on IMDB - my package has a second DVD disc which I've not even watched (believe a doc on Warner Brothers and the war narrated by Spielberg).  Dave :)
Yes, I thought that he was quite good too!  Also enjoyed in particular:  John Malkovitch and Joe Pantoliano.

I'm part-way through the "extras".  On the disc that I'm watching, it's one of those 2-sided DVDs.  By the way, some of the people (some of whom are extras) that they interview, were alive during the actual invasion and remember it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

John Copeland

Recently watched "The Day After Tomorrow" made circa.2004.  Nice that they made and environmentally conscious movie in 2004.  Nice too that it had a setting in Scotland.  Shame it was the biggest load of tosh I've watched in years.   :o   Truly awful.  However, I watched "The Killing Fields" made 20 years earlier, a harrowing movie about the Khmer Rouge, but a truly brilliant movie in every respect.  Had me in tears.  Movie making at it's best.

LKB

I remember being appalled by The Killing Fields in the theater decades ago. And if memory serves, the Cambodian actor who won an Academy award for his performance was murdered years later...

Yup. I don't often resort to Wikipedia, but this time it felt appropriate:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haing_S._Ngor

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

John Copeland

Quote from: LKB on September 27, 2021, 12:44:50 PM
I remember being appalled by The Killing Fields in the theater decades ago. And if memory serves, the Cambodian actor who won an Academy award for his performance was murdered years later...

Yup. I don't often resort to Wikipedia, but this time it felt appropriate:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haing_S._Ngor

Yes, I read that some years ago.  A truly sad end to such a fine talent.  A real shame.