Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerChapman

The Hound Of The Baskervilles - Rathbone, Bruce, Atwill and others, 1939, MPI DVD-2004.
"Life, like a dome of many-coloured glass, stains the white radiance of eternity..." P. B. Shelley

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: HomerChapman on October 14, 2021, 07:31:36 AM
The Hound Of The Baskervilles - Rathbone, Bruce, Atwill and others, 1939, MPI DVD-2004.
A classic!  ;D

And welcome to the forum!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

HomerChapman

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 14, 2021, 07:43:05 AM
A classic!  ;D

And welcome to the forum!

PD
Thanx so much. I am revisiting the book right now too. That DVD has a very interesting commentary by a fellow named David Stuart Davies-who has (among other things)some not so complimentary remarks about the later Hammer 'Hound...' :).
"Life, like a dome of many-coloured glass, stains the white radiance of eternity..." P. B. Shelley

bhodges

A Woman's Face (1941, dir. George Cukor) - Fun noir melodrama with Joan Crawford and Melvyn Douglas. Don't expect anything profound. (But fun.)

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 14, 2021, 06:35:06 PM
The Lady From Shanghai.

Just saw that recently (only the second time) and thought it was kind of extraordinary. (And not just the fabulous mirror scene.)

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on October 14, 2021, 06:43:18 PM
Just saw that recently (only the second time) and thought it was kind of extraordinary. (And not just the fabulous mirror scene.)

--Bruce

Second time for me, as well: Marvelous!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

Maybe a "lesser" Leigh film but not really, not if you like the small things. Leigh does some strange things sometimes. Here he uses some of the elements of filmmaking I hate the most: flashbacks and lots of dated extradiegetic music. Yet the film still comes off as sincere and it still moved me.
Another thing that's jarring in the beginning is the theatricality of the performances. But, like adjusting your eyes to a somewhat bright room after being in the dark, you do get used to it. This is a warm film about human-ness. Not Humanity. Not the big stuff. The little stuff. 

SonicMan46

Iota

Quote from: milk on October 14, 2021, 10:57:46 PM
Maybe a "lesser" Leigh film but not really, not if you like the small things. Leigh does some strange things sometimes. Here he uses some of the elements of filmmaking I hate the most: flashbacks and lots of dated extradiegetic music. Yet the film still comes off as sincere and it still moved me.
Another thing that's jarring in the beginning is the theatricality of the performances. But, like adjusting your eyes to a somewhat bright room after being in the dark, you do get used to it. This is a warm film about human-ness. Not Humanity. Not the big stuff. The little stuff.

That's a nice description of a lot of Mike Leigh's work I think.

Haven't seen Career Girls, though Katrin Cartlidge was also in Naked, a film that won him Best Director award at Cannes and deeply impressed me when I saw it in the 90's. I put it on again recently and had to turn it off after about 30 mins, as post #MeToo etc, even with the knowledge that Mike Leigh is implacably on the side of the downtrodden and disenfranchised, and wants drama to reflect life as it is, and although the main character (David Thewliss) has a brilliantly unforgettable working-class Wildean savagery, he's also so unrelentingly and brutally misogynistic I ultimately found it all a bit much to stomach.
Maybe it was a mood thing, but not sure.

SonicMan46

San Francisco (1936) w/ Gable, MacDonald & Tracy - short synopsis below (more at the link); I've had an old DVD for years - rather poor quality, BUT the new 1080p restoration is spectacular (see ratings below from HERE) - instead of the physical package, I bought the Amazon Prime Video HD version which looked great on my 4K HDTV.  Now the story can be rather convoluted at times and the very ending has a religious tone that may not please all (if interested, read the blu-ray review linked above), BUT the earthquake specials for the times are outstanding (you need to wait through 3/4 of the film -  ???).  Nominated for 6 Oscars and winner of one, 'Best Sound Recording' - looking at the 9th Oscar Presentations, I don't see a category for 'special effects'?  Bottom line - recommended.  Dave :)   P.S. a cheap rental in HD on Amazon Prime Time (film cost me $7).  P.S.S. if you rent in HD and do not have a HDTV, then the film will be shown in SD (like my DVD).

QuoteSan Francisco is a 1936 musical-drama disaster film directed by Woody Van Dyke, based on the April 18, 1906 San Francisco earthquake. The film stars Clark Gable, Jeanette MacDonald and Spencer Tracy. The very popular singing of MacDonald helped make this film a major hit, coming on the heels of her other 1936 blockbuster, Rose Marie. Famous silent film directors D. W. Griffith and Erich von Stroheim worked on the film without credit. Griffith directed some of the mob scenes while von Stroheim contributed to the screenplay. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 15, 2021, 07:49:28 AM
Thumbs Up!   8)  Dave

I'm pretty sure you pointed me to the Blu-ray, Dave, I'm glad you did!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 15, 2021, 10:02:33 AM
I'm pretty sure you pointed me to the Blu-ray, Dave, I'm glad you did!

Hi Karl - just checked Amazon and I bought the BD of that film in 2015 for $9 (still same price for those interested?) - Dave :)

Karl Henning

True Lies. No idea why this does not seem to be available as a Blu-ray, so I'm glad of my DVD. Fear is not an option.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 15, 2021, 06:58:30 PM
True Lies. No idea why this does not seem to be available as a Blu-ray, so I'm glad of my DVD. Fear is not an option.

It seems to be released on Blu-ray in Spain (Mentiras Arriesgadas). It is region free. Why only in Spain? Well, Cameron just doesn't want to release True Lies and The Abyss before he has trimmed the colors perfect for both movies and he needs 14 hours per movie, but he is too busy to have 28 hours of his time for these movies...  :-\

https://www.amazon.es/True-Lies-Blu-ray/dp/B089GHS1KM?tag=bluraycom06-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

The Rite

Any film featuring Anthony Hopkins is a good enough recommendation for me and this proved the point for me yet again. The film features the topic of exorcism and, yes, it does give a nod in the direction of That Film. However, this film has a take of its own on the subject and it is an interesting one. If this is your genre I would certainly recommend it to you.

vandermolen

Count me in as a fan of 'The Lady from Shanghai'. I like Film Noir as a genre and my favourite films are 'Double Indemnity' (original version) and 'Murder My Sweet' + The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca (especially for Sydney Greenstreet's performances). Dick Powell being my favourite screen Philip Marlowe.
Last night my wife and I watched this most enjoyable ITV version of the 39 Steps on DVD:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Showed my wife Mad Max: Fury Road for the first time, she gave it two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on October 16, 2021, 12:01:40 AM
It seems to be released on Blu-ray in Spain (Mentiras Arriesgadas). It is region free. Why only in Spain? Well, Cameron just doesn't want to release True Lies and The Abyss before he has trimmed the colors perfect for both movies and he needs 14 hours per movie, but he is too busy to have 28 hours of his time for these movies...  :-\

https://www.amazon.es/True-Lies-Blu-ray/dp/B089GHS1KM?tag=bluraycom06-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL

Interesting, thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).