Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I watched Soul last night.

The movie as a whole was highly enjoyable, if not quite up to the level of Inside Out from the same director.

The jazz sequences though... I would have loved if there were more of the jazz sequences. They're fantastic.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SimonNZ

Not what I was expecting. This has no context or overview of the war at all, instead it gives a pinhole view of one medic and we only know as much as he sees with his own eyes, and its not entirely successful in that approach.

aligreto

The Lighthouse

This is a dark, brooding, atmospheric film that has a continuous sense of foreboding from its beginning. Shot in B/W the cinematography is excellent and it definitely enhances the mood of the film. The psychology of isolation and an alcohol fuelled environment are well explored here. There is a somewhat forced but definite sense of retribution in the final scene. This is not a film to suit every need but I thought that it was fine and thought provoking.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on October 17, 2021, 02:42:00 AM
The Lighthouse

This is a dark, brooding, atmospheric film that has a continuous sense of foreboding from its beginning. Shot in B/W the cinematography is excellent and it definitely enhances the mood of the film. The psychology of isolation and an alcohol fuelled environment are well explored here. There is a somewhat forced but definite sense of retribution in the final scene. This is not a film to suit every need but I thought that it was fine and thought provoking.

Hmmm, may be of interest to me.

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 17, 2021, 04:46:52 AM
Hmmm, may be of interest to me.

I did enjoy it Ray and I would watch it again at some time in the future.

SonicMan46

High Sierra (1941) w/ Ida Lupino (who had first billing) and Humphrey Bogart - his performance propelled him from secondary ganster roles into a major star; later in 1941, he he made the Maltese Falcon, and the following year Casablanca.  I had this film on a poor DVD-R - Criterion just release their BD version at the usual HIGH price - did I want the film that much?  Well, Amazon Prime Video had an HD version for just $5, so I took a chance - on my 4K HDTV, this bargain basement steal looks just stupendous - the scenery of the Sierra Nevada mountains is spectacular in this HD upgrade - if you want the film and have a HDTV, then highly recommended (BTW, if you buy this version and play on a SDTV, then their SD version will be used). Dave :)

QuoteHigh Sierra is a 1941 heist film and early film noir written by William Burnett and John Huston from the novel by Burnett. The film features Ida Lupino and Humphrey Bogart, and was directed by Raoul Walsh, with location work shot at Whitney Portal, halfway up Mount Whitney in the Sierra Nevada of California. John Huston, Bogart's friend and drinking partner, adapted from the novel by Burnett (also known for, among others, Little Caesar and Scarface). The film cemented a strong personal and professional connection between Bogart and Huston, and provided the breakthrough in Bogart's career, transforming him from supporting player to leading man. (Source)

André

English title: The Forgotten Battle. The 10.1944 Allied assault on the dutch estuary of the Schelde to secure access to the port of Antwerp. An interesting take on the conventional 'the Battle of...' film as seen from the civilian (Dutch), and conflicting militaries' (Allied and German) viewpoints. Not a 'war hero' film, thank God.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Well, I purchased a couple more HD films from Amazon Prime Video for streaming to my 4K HDTV, replacing an old DVD and a poor DVD-R - the films below:

48 Hours (1982) w/ Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy - the two are great together - film recently released on a pricey BD, so I decided to buy the cheaper streaming option which looked great - recommended for lovers of cop films and the co-stars! 

Born to Dance (1936) w/ Eleanor Powell and James Stewart (who sings and dances in the film - don't believe he ever did again!  :laugh:) - Powell is probably my favorite female dancer from the 1930s/40s, just phenomenal tap dancer and a joy to watch if you're into these types of films; the young Buddy Ebsen w/ his wonderfully quirky dancing (he was supposed to be the original 'Tin Man' from Wizard of Oz).  Brief synopses below w/ much more at the links, if interested.  Dave :)

Quote48 Hrs. is an American buddy cop action comedy film directed by Walter Hill. The screenplay was written by Hill, Roger Spottiswoode, Larry Gross and Steven E. de Souza. The film stars Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy as a cop and convict, respectively, who team up to catch two cop-killers, Albert Ganz and Billy Bear, played respectively by James Remar and Sonny Landham. The title refers to the amount of time they have to solve the crime. (Source)

QuoteBorn to Dance is an American musical film starring Eleanor Powell and James Stewart, directed by Roy Del Ruth and released in 1936 by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The score was composed by Cole Porter. (Source)

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 17, 2021, 05:02:38 PM
Jacob's Ladder (1990)

A friend and I got high and went to see that in the theater.  Yikes, talk about a bad trip.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on October 18, 2021, 02:48:23 PM
A friend and I got high and went to see that in the theater.  Yikes, talk about a bad trip.

I don't envy you that experience.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

I watched Dune. It's entertaining enough to recommend, regardless of objections. I think the music and sound is a little bullying in its bombast.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Kingsley, Mark Ruffalo, Max von Sydow and others.  Wow!

An amazing combo of film noir/psychological drama and more.  Very thought-provoking and with a number of clever turns and twists and makes you think about how our minds work and what is really real.  And how we treat mental illness.

Great soundtrack too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: drogulus on October 18, 2021, 04:14:51 PM
     I watched Dune. It's entertaining enough to recommend, regardless of objections. I think the music and sound is a little bullying in its bombast.

Dune is considered a 'mess' by some (see Ebert's Review), but I really enjoy the film for its craziness of story and cast - I've owned the VHS > DVD > BD - now a 4K is about to be released @ a ridiculous price as shown below - not going to be a purchase for me - if $20 or less, a consideration?  Now, Amazon Prime Video will likely offer a streaming HD UHD version around that price - but the same issue of streaming vs. physical media?  I'll wait and see -  8)  Dave

drogulus

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 20, 2021, 09:26:19 AM
Dune is considered a 'mess' by some (see Ebert's Review), but I really enjoy the film for its craziness of story and cast - I've owned the VHS > DVD > BD - now a 4K is about to be released @ a ridiculous price as shown below - not going to be a purchase for me - if $20 or less, a consideration?  Now, Amazon Prime Video will likely offer a streaming HD UHD version around that price - but the same issue of streaming vs. physical media?  I'll wait and see -  8)  Dave

I watched the new one.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SonicMan46

Quote from: drogulus on October 20, 2021, 09:39:07 AM
     I watched the new one.

Assume that you mean a 4K version?  Did you have the physical disc or stream in HD (i.e. 4K rather than 1080p)?  And did the film look better than in previous versions?  Thanks.  Dave :)

drogulus

The only version extant in the wild is 1080p SDR. It looks damn good.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 20, 2021, 09:01:37 AM
Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Kingsley, Mark Ruffalo, Max von Sydow and others.  Wow!

An amazing combo of film noir/psychological drama and more.  Very thought-provoking and with a number of clever turns and twists and makes you think about how our minds work and what is really real.  And how we treat mental illness.

Great soundtrack too!

PD

I need to watch that 'un.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA