Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 25, 2021, 07:29:13 AM
Tous les Matins du Monde (English: All the Mornings of the World) (1991) - French film w/ English subtitles about Marin Marais and Sainte-Colombe; brief summary below - the old Marais portrayed by Gérard Depardieu, and his younger self by his son Guillaume (1971-2008); Jean-Pierre Marielle as S-Colombe (other actors in link below); Nominations and Awards in second pic (from same link). 

"Apart from Savall, the musicians are Monserrat Figueras and Mari-Cristina Kiehr (sopranos), Christophe Coin and Jérôme Hantaï (viola da gamba), Rolf Lislevand (theorbo) and Pierre Hantaï (harpsichord and organ)." Prompted to stream this film from Amazon ($4 rental, and seen before) last night because I spent the day listening to my Marais collection, including the 5-disc set w/ Savall, Koopman,  and Hopkinson Smith.  Roger Ebert's review from 1992 HERE for those interested - probably a MUST see for those into this music.  Dave :)

I have seen that film a number of times, Dave, and I have always enjoyed it.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on November 25, 2021, 07:48:37 AM
I have seen that film a number of times, Dave, and I have always enjoyed it.

Hi Fergus - just my second time, but enjoyed; watched w/ wife who's not a big fan of viol music (although we did see Jordi Savall live decades ago) and thought that it was a little slow - debated whether to buy the HD film on Amazon ($4 vs. $13), but probably don't have a desire to see again.   Dave :)

VonStupp

Nobody's Fool (1994)
Paul Newman, Jessica Tandy, Melanie Griffith
Bruce Willis, Philip Seymor Hoffman

A gentle, slice-of-life dramedy set between US Thanksgiving and New Years. Not too saccharine or schmaltzy and Newman plays the eye-twinkling, rough-around-the-edges, lovable small-town rascal to perfection.

Maybe my favorite later-era role from Newman, with terrific smaller-role ensemble work from some big names of its era too. VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on November 25, 2021, 10:22:55 AM
Nobody's Fool (1994)
Paul Newman, Jessica Tandy, Melanie Griffith
Bruce Willis, Philip Seymor Hoffman

A gentle, slice-of-life dramedy set between US Thanksgiving and New Years. Not too saccharine or schmaltzy and Newman plays the eye-twinkling, rough-around-the-edges, lovable small-town rascal to perfection.

Maybe my favorite later-era role from Newman, with terrific smaller-role ensemble work from some big names of its era too. VS

Out of hundreds of films in my collection from DVDs & BDs to 4Ks (and now buying HD streamed movies to replace old DVDs), my wife and I have just a dozen or so that we like to watch together, and Nobody's Fool is in that small bunch; believe that we watched it in the middle of the year.  Dave :)

Todd

Re-watched Barry Lyndon after feasting.  As magnificent as ever.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Iota

The true tale of Srinivasa Ramanujan, told in fairly straightforward manner, but beautifully done, strumming not a few heartstrings en route.
I hadn't heard his story before, one of someone coming out of poverty in Madras at the beginning of the 20th century, with extraordinarily original insights into maths, and becoming one of the world's great mathematicians. His life, along with a few ruffled Cambridge Dons' feathers, seeming rather to conspire against him, made his achievements all the more remarkable.
The many scenes shot in Trinity College, Cambridge add not insignificantly to the film's watch-ability.

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 25, 2021, 11:05:55 AM
Out of hundreds of films in my collection from DVDs & BDs to 4Ks (and now buying HD streamed movies to replace old DVDs), my wife and I have just a dozen or so that we like to watch together, and Nobody's Fool is in that small bunch; believe that we watched it in the middle of the year.  Dave :)

It is easy to see why; there is a simple pleasure in watching this film.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 25, 2021, 11:05:55 AM
That few?  That's a shame.   :(  Do you like a lot of the same t.v. shows (not certain how much t.v. either of you like to watch)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 26, 2021, 12:44:52 PM
That few?  That's a shame.   :(  Do you like a lot of the same t.v. shows (not certain how much t.v. either of you like to watch)?

PD

LOL!  :laugh:  Well, I just redid my movie database and have about 750+ films (counting physical media of all types and those streamers purchased on Amazon Prime Video); and not including 400+ DVD-Rs burned from the TCM channel a while back (of course, all public domain oldies, most in B&W), SO about 1200 videos in the house and just a handful to share - but we do find a LOT of TV series that we enjoy together, so plenty to watch - just finished Kingdom and about done w/ a second watch of Rizzoli & Isles - plus, I talk her into watching some of my old favorites!  ;) 8)  Dave

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 26, 2021, 01:15:39 PM
LOL!  :laugh:  Well, I just redid my movie database and have about 750+ films (counting physical media of all types and those streamers purchased on Amazon Prime Video); and not including 400+ DVD-Rs burned from the TCM channel a while back (of course, all public domain oldies, most in B&W), SO about 1200 videos in the house and just a handful to share - but we do find a LOT of TV series that we enjoy together, so plenty to watch - just finished Kingdom and about done w/ a second watch of Rizzoli & Isles - plus, I talk her into watching some of my old favorites!  ;) 8)  Dave

Not certain of your wife's tastes...does she like modern romcoms?  Or???  Just curious (if I might ask) how is it that the two of you differ re tastes?

Here:  I spent Thanksgiving with a friend (male) and brought up the idea of possibly watching a/some DVDs and he looked at one (or more of them?) and said that it looked like some kind of "artsy movie" [It was the t.v. series that I have just written about in another thread].  We wanted to take a break between dinner and desssert, and I suggested watching one of the episodes; surprisingly, he really enjoyed it...subtitles and all.  ;D  Or perhaps he just likes giving me grief?  :-\ ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Last few days, still replacing my old DVDs w/ HD Amazon Prime streamers - have been quite happy w/ the HD quality, both video and sound (just a couple of exceptions) - most recently the two below:

Boys Town (1938) w/ Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney, and others - short synopsis below - Tracy was nominated for 9 Oscars for 'Best Actor' and won 2 consecutive awards, for Captains Courageous in 1937 and for Boys Town the next year.

Buddy Holly Story, The (1978) w/ Gary Busey as Buddy in a remarkable singing performance and others listed in the second quote below. For fans of early R&R music, this is a MUST see - highly recommended fro Busey's remarkable portrayal of Holly.  Dave :)

QuoteBoys Town is a biographical drama film based on Father Flanagan's work with a group of underprivileged boys in a home/educational complex that he founded and named "Boys Town" in Nebraska. Tracy won an Oscar as Best Actor for his performance. Legendary MGM Studio head Louis B. Mayer, who was a Belorussian-Canadian-American Jew known for his respect for the Catholic Church, later called this his favorite film of his long tenure. Although the story is largely fictional, it is based upon a real man and place. Boys Town is a community outside Omaha, Nebraska. In 1943 Boys Town adopted as its image and logo a sculpture of a boy carrying a younger boy on his back, captioned "He ain't heavy, Father ...he's my brother." This is taken from the film. (Source)

QuoteThe Buddy Holly Story is a 1978 American biographical film which tells the life story of rock musician Buddy Holly. It features an Academy Award-winning musical score, adapted by Joe Renzetti and Oscar-nominated lead performance by Gary Busey. The film also stars Don Stroud, Charles Martin Smith, Conrad Janis, William Jordan, and Maria Richwine, who played Maria Elena Holly. The actors did their own singing and played their own instruments, with guitarist Jerry Zaremba overdubbing the guitar parts. Busey, in particular, was noted for recording the soundtrack music live and for losing 32 pounds to portray the skinny Holly. Roger Ebert gave the film three and a half stars out of four and praised Busey's "remarkable performance as Buddy Holly. If you're a fan of Holly and his music, you'll be quietly amazed at how completely Busey gets into the character." (Source)

vers la flamme

Quote from: Todd on November 26, 2021, 06:08:01 AM

Re-watched Barry Lyndon after feasting.  As magnificent as ever.

Oh, that's a killer flick. Need to rewatch it myself. I don't think I've seen it since first year of undergrad.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 25, 2021, 07:29:13 AM
Tous les Matins du Monde (English: All the Mornings of the World) (1991) - French film w/ English subtitles about Marin Marais and Sainte-Colombe; brief summary below - the old Marais portrayed by Gérard Depardieu, and his younger self by his son Guillaume (1971-2008); Jean-Pierre Marielle as S-Colombe (other actors in link below); Nominations and Awards in second pic (from same link). 

"Apart from Savall, the musicians are Monserrat Figueras and Mari-Cristina Kiehr (sopranos), Christophe Coin and Jérôme Hantaï (viola da gamba), Rolf Lislevand (theorbo) and Pierre Hantaï (harpsichord and organ)." Prompted to stream this film from Amazon ($4 rental, and seen before) last night because I spent the day listening to my Marais collection, including the 5-disc set w/ Savall, Koopman,  and Hopkinson Smith.  Roger Ebert's review from 1992 HERE for those interested - probably a MUST see for those into this music.  Dave :)

Just saw your posting of this movie.  I remember enjoying this film when it first appeared in the theaters; so much so, that I bought the soundtrack to it.  Also, if I'm recalling correctly, I purchased some other CDs of his that I probably ran across used.  First time too that I had heard of Savall.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vers la flamme

I believe that soundtrack went platinum. Not bad for a disc of Baroque viol music.

SonicMan46

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 06:05:33 AM
I believe that soundtrack went platinum. Not bad for a disc of Baroque viol music.

Discussion and details HERE about the album release and re-release w/ Jordi Savall interview.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 06:05:33 AM

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 27, 2021, 06:55:01 AM
Discussion and details HERE about the album release and re-release w/ Jordi Savall interview.  Dave :)

I do remember it being quite popular at the time, but hadn't realized that it had gone platinum!  Cool!

And thanks for that link.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Oh, the other night I watched Yellowbeard again. A movie with its flaws, sure, but just plain good fun, and nowhere near as bad as several hand-wringing critics spill ink or pixels bemoaning.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Not too late, is it?..

The Wizard of Oz
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 27, 2021, 05:40:08 PM
Not too late, is it?..

The Wizard of Oz

I hope its the 4K, or at least bluray.

There's no place like home, and it's never too late.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

aligreto

Advantageous:

This is the story of a single mother raising a child on her own. She is a well paid executive but is finding it difficult to meet all the bills needed to give her daughter all of the advantages that she will need as she grows up. This mother works for an enterprise that sells beauty enhancement products. Unfortunately, she is now becoming too old to front up their corporate image and campaigns. She is thus forced to make some very difficult decisions but everything she does she does for the benefit of her young daughter.

I never have, and still do not, understand why life is made so difficult for women by men.