Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

LKB

Quote from: aligreto on November 28, 2021, 02:22:23 AM
A wonderful film.

While I've been an admirer of Kubrick for decades, I've actually never seen Barry Lyndon.

But I'm ready now...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

aligreto

Quote from: LKB on November 28, 2021, 07:17:39 AM
While I've been an admirer of Kubrick for decades, I've actually never seen Barry Lyndon.

But I'm ready now...

I would be interesting to read any comments after your viewing as you have neither no history with the film nor have seen it.

SonicMan46

Black Stallion, The (1979) w/ Kelly Reno, Mickey Rooney, Teri Garr, Hoyt Axton, and the Arabian horse Cass Ole. The film features music by Carmine Coppola, the father of Francis Ford Coppola, who was the executive producer of the film.  A two-part story - the first half w/ Reno stranded on a deserted island w/ the black stallion is gorgeously filmed - I own the Criterion version which received a 5*/5* rating for both visuals and audio (HERE) - more on the second half of the movie when Rooney appears and detailed discussion of the entire story HERE.

I own a LOT of horse films and we had a wonderful 3-night trip to Lexington, Kentucky a half dozen years ago and visited horse farms, auctions, and the Kentucky Horse Park; back in the early 2000s, we even took some horse lessens nearby; went on rides locally and even on several trips, but Susan was afraid of falling (had an older friend fall breaking her pelvis in multiple places), so we gave up the hobby - but fun while it lasted.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on November 27, 2021, 09:37:35 PM
I hope its the 4K, or at least bluray.

There's no place like home, and it's never too late.  ;)

Bluray, and those colors pop!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 28, 2021, 12:52:36 PM
Bluray, and those colors pop!

For those who have the option of seeing the Wizard of Oz on 4K (i.e. own or considering buying a 4K player/HDTV), then a must - when I bought my 4K Sony HDTV a year ago, W of O was one of my first 4K purchases - for those deciding, the review HERE should convince - Dave :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: LKB on November 28, 2021, 07:17:39 AM

But I'm ready now...

I'm a really huge fan of Kubrick and credit him to some considerable degree for sparking my curiosity and interest in classical music.

Barry Lyndon is his most underrated film and at times I almost believe it to be his best film. A slow burn..... But oh what a delightful burn.

Certainly not in nearly as in your face and antagonistic as A Clockwork Orange or The Shining, but I think that is where Kubrick's brilliance lies. He could be a genius in film in both an overt and subtle approach. Barry Lyndon is an example of the latter.

milk

I was surprised at how bored I was by this. The actors are brilliant but I could not sustain my interest in this at all. It seemed interminable. I think this movie was exquisitely shot and lit BTW

Karl Henning

M*A*S*H
Apart from time standing still during the football game set-piece, I find this evergreen.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Bottle Shock (2008) w/ Alan Rickman as Steven Spurrier (English wine merchant based in Paris) who initiated the event - synopsis below from the movie's Wiki article - script disputed by the real Spurrier himself and the film did receive mixed reviews - the real story HERE w/ a list of the California & French reds and whites tasted along w/ their 'blind tasting' scores - the 1973 Ch. Montelena (chardonnay) and 1973 Stag's Leap Wine Cellar (cabernet sauvignon) came out on TOP!  Those results cannot be disrupted.  At the bottom are a chart of the wines in the competition; plus, in my wine book collection, is a 2006 book on the 'Judgment of Parks' for those interested.  I had the DVD of the film, but bought Amazon's HD streamer which was beautiful on my 4K HDTV but would certainly work fine on a 1080p device.  Although the film may have critics and faults, wife and I have enjoyed and watched it probably 4-5 times - highly recommended to those interested in the topic who have not seen the movie.  Dave :)

QuoteBottle Shock is a 2008 American comedy-drama film based on the 1976 wine competition termed the "Judgment of Paris", when California wine defeated French wine in a blind taste test. It stars Alan Rickman, Chris Pine, and Bill Pullman and is directed by Randall Miller, who wrote the screenplay along with Jody Savin and Ross Schwartz. (Source)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

milk

A masterpiece. There is no one like Altman today. His movies are like finely painted wooden boxes with handmade hinges. I just marvel at the touch. Movies don't have touch anymore. Everyone wants slickness or the studios do. Or maybe things are just made for too big of an audience. Maybe the independent cinema is long gone. But Altman was a singular voice and this film is great and very satisfying. Gould is the 70s noire detective; there are also no stars quite like Gould anymore either.
This movie is so funny and entertaining and interesting as well. It has great character actors too. It's a treat.

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on November 30, 2021, 09:39:29 PM
Must be Kubrick in the air, a good thing.  8)

Indeed. First I watched this one, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: milk on December 01, 2021, 05:51:05 AM
A masterpiece. There is no one like Altman today. His movies are like finely painted wooden boxes with handmade hinges. I just marvel at the touch. Movies don't have touch anymore. Everyone wants slickness or the studios do. Or maybe things are just made for too big of an audience. Maybe the independent cinema is long gone. But Altman was a singular voice and this film is great and very satisfying. Gould is the 70s noire detective; there are also no stars quite like Gould anymore either.
This movie is so funny and entertaining and interesting as well. It has great character actors too. It's a treat.

Interesting. As I was watching just the other day Gould and Altman worked together on M*A*S*H, as well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 30, 2021, 06:32:13 PM
Paths of Glory

One of my favorite Kirk Douglas movies (and I believe in his top 3, too) - the Criterion version shown below is superb for those thinking of a purchase and/or upgrade - more HERE.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 01, 2021, 08:56:09 AM
One of my favorite Kirk Douglas movies (and I believe in his top 3, too) - the Criterion version shown below is superb for those thinking of a purchase and/or upgrade - more HERE.  Dave :)

That is indeed how I viewed it. Wonderful!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2021, 07:04:58 AM
Interesting. As I was watching just the other day Gould and Altman worked together on M*A*S*H, as well.
I don't know whether to watch that again. Many people say it's kind of cruel and dated and weird. Did you enjoy it? I love California Split too. That's a brutal Altman film but a real masterpiece. What Altman does with sound design is mind-blowing - how he layers his mise en scene and sound world to give you a sense of disorientation and reality.