Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Lonely Are the Brave (1962) with Kirk Douglas, Gena Rowlands, Water Matthau, George Kennedy, and Carroll O'Connor.  Short synopsis below - this was Kirk's favorite film - discussion HERE.  Yet another DVD replacement for me - the Amazon HD streamer was well done; seems like my main HD purchases with some defects/artifacts are the 1940s and before - hopefully Amazon will add some better restorations?  Dave :)

QuoteLonely Are the Brave is a 1962 American Western film adaptation of the Edward Abbey novel The Brave Cowboy. The film was directed by David Miller from a screenplay by Dalton Trumbo. It stars Kirk Douglas as cowboy Jack Burns, Gena Rowlands as his best friend's wife and Walter Matthau as a sheriff who sympathizes with Burns but must do his job and chase him down. It also featured an early score by composer Jerry Goldsmith. Douglas felt that this was his favorite film. (Source)

milk

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 02, 2021, 09:47:49 AM
Lonely Are the Brave (1962) with Kirk Douglas, Gena Rowlands, Water Matthau, George Kennedy, and Carroll O'Connor.  Short synopsis below - this was Kirk's favorite film - discussion HERE.  Yet another DVD replacement for me - the Amazon HD streamer was well done; seems like my main HD purchases with some defects/artifacts are the 1940s and before - hopefully Amazon will add some better restorations?  Dave :)

What a cast!

VonStupp

The Santa Clause 1, 2, & 3 (1994, 2002, 2006)
Tim Allen, Judge Reinhold
Martin Short, Alan Arkin, Ann-Margret

Never saw these originally, but found them for the girls to watch this week. Lots of smiles and giggles, so it was worth it. These are free of cynicism which is so hard to find in family films anymore.

Tim Allen may not be great for the big screen, but he is sincere as Santa, and I enjoyed Galaxy Quest!

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

milk

This movie is a masterpiece. This was my second time around and I loved it even more. It was like reading a great Russian novel or Dickens. I'm not sure this film has a peer. It's just marvelous.

SonicMan46

Quest for Fire (1981) w/ the actors in the quote - another DVD replacement w/ a HD Amazon streamer - cannot believe this film is 40 years old, i.e. MUCH has happened in the understanding of human evolution and pre-history genetics, plus the book was written in 1911 although the screenplay likely used modern science information of the times.  The main implication is that two different human species in this case Neanderthals and now modern Homo sapiens did interacted and could interbred (we have 3% Neanderthal DNA in our genomes), but probably around 30,000 to 40,000 years ago.  STILL a fun movie.    :laugh:  Dave

P.S. The Clan of the Cave Bear (1980) novel of prehistoric fiction by Jean M. Auel is a more modern 'take' on the same subject, also made into a film w/ a gorgeous Daryl Hannah as a Cro-Magnon girl who grows up in a Neanderthal clan and gives birth to a son.

QuoteQuest for Fire is a prehistoric fantasy adventure film directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud, written by Gérard Brach and starring Everett McGill, Ron Perlman, Nameer El-Kadi and Rae Dawn Chong. The film is an adaptation of the 1911 Belgian novel The Quest for Fire by J.-H. Rosny. The story is set in Paleolithic Europe (80,000 years ago), with its plot surrounding the struggle for control of fire by early humans.

The film was not intended to be a scientifically accurate documentary of a specific point in pre-history. This is reinforced in the scientific community. In an essay for the journal American Anthropologist, professor Philip Lieberman described as "absurd" the mixture of different levels of advancement among different tribes living in close proximity. Lieberman pointed out that it "would be most unlikely 80,000 years ago" for humans to still be exhibiting apelike characteristics, at the same time noting that the Ivaka tribe was depicted as having "a village culture that would have been likely 10,000 years ago." (Source)

SimonNZ

Over the last few days

Second time watching Jeremiah Johnson and Waltz With Bashir, third (or maybe fourth) of Lone Star (or Forget The Alamo as director John Sayles originally intended to call it and I like to think of it).

All three brilliant in their own ways.

TheGSMoeller

Passing... a fascinating film, shot in stunning black & white cinematography. Available on Netflix.

VonStupp

Death Hunt (1981)
Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Carl Weathers
Ed Lauter, Angie Dickinson

I saw this when it came out, but haven't since. I think my memories mixed Death Hunt with another Bronson movie, which is odd since I haven't seen many, but I was expecting an ending that didn't happen.

Bronson plays a low word-count good guy, entrapped by backwoods ruffians, and dutifully pursued by grizzled, hard-drinking Lee Marvin, a 1930's Yukon mountie. Like Jeremiah Johnson, I love these snow-filled survival movies.

Apparently based on a real pursuit of the main character, but far from reality.

Iota

Apocalypse Now Final Cut

I saw the original film so long ago and it's not much more than a few select memories now, so alongside that and personal changes since then, this was more or less like seeing it for the first time.

It's a leviathan at three hours long, but without a longueur in sight, and with every moment feeling an integral brick in its construction, it's a breathtaking achievement. The many iconic moments I did remember are still as fresh/haunting as ever, Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando exuding all sorts of inexpressible horrors of the human mind, Coppola's visionary courage, but just about everything in this updated version, including the music, held me spellbound. A powerful, marvellous thing.

LKB

I love the smell of remastered classics in the morning...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Iota

Quote from: LKB on December 05, 2021, 08:44:43 AM
I love the smell of remastered classics in the morning...

Haha.

Another line which I'd forgotten was Sheen's 'Charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500', one of the few laugh out loud moments for me

Karl Henning

Quote from: Iota on December 05, 2021, 09:00:56 AM
Haha.

Another line which I'd forgotten was Sheen's 'Charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500', one of the few laugh out loud moments for me

Wherein is this distinct from Redux, do you know?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Iota on December 05, 2021, 08:28:15 AM

Apocalypse Now(AN) Final Cut
- Note 'AN' = Apocalypse Now
I saw the original film so long ago and it's not much more than a few select memories now, so alongside that and personal changes since then, this was more or less like seeing it for the first time.

It's a leviathan at three hours long, but without a longueur in sight, and with every moment feeling an integral brick in its construction, it's a breathtaking achievement. The many iconic moments I did remember are still as fresh/haunting as ever, Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando exuding all sorts of inexpressible horrors of the human mind, Coppola's visionary courage, but just about everything in this updated version, including the music, held me spellbound. A powerful, marvellous thing.

Well, own the BD w/ AN and AN Redux and now have a 4K HDTV, so have been debating on whether to buy the physical package (6 discs!) at the bargain price of $15 or buy the Final Cut Amazon streamer at $13 - the box with a half dozen discs is just 2/3 inch so not a big storage issue - now I don't watch this film often but need to make a decision.  Dave :)  P.S. review from my pic insertion above from HERE.

Iota

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 05, 2021, 09:05:07 AM
Wherein is this distinct from Redux, do you know?

I only know what I gleaned from a quick google after having watched it. The scene in the French Plantation (which unlike many I thought sat happily in the film's trajectory) was shortened from the Redux version e.g. You might find the below informative.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/apr/29/apocalypse-now-the-final-cut-francis-ford-coppola-vietnam-movie-new-version

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 05, 2021, 09:28:23 AM
Well, own the BD w/ AN and AN Redux and now have a 4K HDTV, so have been debating on whether to buy the physical package (6 discs!) at the bargain price of $15 or buy the Final Cut Amazon streamer at $13 - the box with a half dozen discs is just 2/3 inch so not a big storage issue - now I don't watch this film often but need to make a decision.  Dave :)  P.S. review from my pic insertion above from HERE.

I imagine it will look and sound spectacular on 4K HDTV, whichever route you take!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Iota on December 05, 2021, 09:45:17 AM
I only know what I gleaned from a quick google after having watched it. The scene in the French Plantation (which unlike many I thought sat happily in the film's trajectory) was shortened from the Redux version e.g. You might find the below informative.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/apr/29/apocalypse-now-the-final-cut-francis-ford-coppola-vietnam-movie-new-version

I imagine it will look and sound spectacular on 4K HDTV, whichever route you take!

Interesting, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

I should say Death Hunt was impossible to find without buying the physical media, which I didn't want to do, but it is free for streaming on Dailymotion for those interested:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x80bx4f

Quote from: VonStupp on December 05, 2021, 08:11:44 AM
Death Hunt (1981)
Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Carl Weathers
Ed Lauter, Angie Dickinson

I saw this when it came out, but haven't since. I think my memories mixed Death Hunt with another Bronson movie, which is odd since I haven't seen many, but I was expecting an ending that didn't happen.

Bronson plays a low word-count good guy, entrapped by backwoods ruffians, and dutifully pursued by grizzled, hard-drinking Lee Marvin, a 1930's Yukon mountie. Like Jeremiah Johnson, I love these snow-filled survival movies.

Apparently based on a real pursuit of the main character, but far from reality.

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 05, 2021, 09:28:23 AM

Well, could not resist the temptation and ordered Apocalypse Now from Amazon for $15 - BUT, can't just get one, so another on sale was Hitchcock's Vertigo (superb 4K review HERE) for the same price - Dave :)

aligreto

Night Teeth:

This is a very modern and glossy take on the old vampire theme, if that is your thing.

TheGSMoeller

SonicMan46

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) w/ Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce, James Frain, Dagmara Domińczyk, Luis Guzmán, and Richard Harris.  Roger Ebert's 3*/4* review below (just first paragraph - check link) is a great summary - loved the portrayal of this Dumas tale and had on DVD for ages (the BD received poor reviews so not an early purchase), but Amazon dropped it's price on the HD streamer which I just purchased - looked great on my HDTV.  Now, there are a lot of options, e.g. 1934 film w/ Robert Donat (seen decades ago), 1975 TV movie w/ Richard Chamberlain (not bad), and 1998 Mini-series (6+ hrs) w/ Gerald Depardieu in French (have not seen but highly rated; sub-titles would prevent me from viewing).  Dave :)

QuoteThe Count of Monte Cristo is a movie that incorporates piracy, Napoleon in exile, betrayal, solitary confinement, secret messages, escape tunnels, swashbuckling, comic relief, a treasure map, Parisian high society and sweet revenge, and brings it in at under two hours, with performances by good actors who are clearly having fun. This is the kind of adventure picture the studios churned out in the Golden Age--so traditional it almost feels new .(Source)