Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

An Ordinary Love:

An ordinary middle aged couple with a good relationship face a number of challenges when the wife develops cancer. It is a true to life but a heartwarming portrayal nonetheless. The character acting from both actors is top drawer and it is worth viewing.

aligreto

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 06, 2021, 01:12:22 PM

That one is being promoted quite a bit on Netflix. I will watch it soon.

aligreto

Along Came a Spider:

I like Morgan Freeman and this film was not too bad. It was a bit formulaic but the twists towards the end kept it interesting.

SonicMan46

Vertigo (1958) w/ James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore, and Henry Jones; Alfred Hitchcock, director - plot HERE for those not familiar w/ the film (spoiler - don't read to the end!); the 4K is a BD replacement because of a substantial drop in price and the superlative rating - highly recommended - my wife watched and enjoyed, but we missed Hitchcock's cameo appearance (mystery solved HERE).  Dave :)

aligreto

The Hitcher:

A young couple encounters a hitchhiker and things get violent very quickly. However, things only get worse. If you want to watch a film filled with mindless violence then this one is for you. Sean Bean delivers a very good performance.

VonStupp

St. Elmo's Fire (1985)
Ally Sheedy, Demi Moore, Mare Winningham, Andie MacDowell
Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Andrew McCarthy, Judd Nelson

Missed this when it came out, but it would have been a killer soundtrack in its time. David Foster was definitely a force to be reckoned with, but oh the saxophone and synthesizers!

My wife and I don't care for overly poignant films, and this one is a bit turgid for our tastes. Fun to see all of these young 80's actors though.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Todd

Rewatched The Game for the first time since it was new.  Knowing the ending ruins all suspense, but one still admires the sleekness and craft that David Fincher brings, and the actors all do good enough work.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Last night, I revisited Kind Hearts and Coronets
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Indiana JonesRaiders of the Lost Ark & the Last Crusade w/ the beautiful Karen Allen in the 'Ark' and Sean Connery in the other - my two favorites of the series and the only ones I own - had both on BD, but Amazon was offering 4K UHD versions for $10 each - they were spectacular on my 4K TV - listened to both on headphones (to spare my spouse - ;)) - the 'surround effects' were also amazing - wish I had a surround or Atmos system in my den to match the viewing on screen.  Now the jury is still out regarding 4K UHD physical disc vs. streaming (just one take HERE); the disc still provides better video/audio quality, but may not be available (these Indiana Jones 4Ks are only in the 4-disc box and I have no interest in the other two films), may be pricey, and require storage space; plus, I've had to return 3 or 4 glitchy 4K discs, a major irritation - SO, opinions seem to go in both directions - at the moment, I'm purchasing a mixture of 4K discs and UHD streamers.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 11, 2021, 08:35:23 AM
Indiana JonesRaiders of the Lost Ark & the Last Crusade w/ the beautiful Karen Allen in the 'Ark' and Sean Connery in the other - my two favorites of the series and the only ones I own - had both on BD, but Amazon was offering 4K UHD versions for $10 each - they were spectacular on my 4K TV - listened to both on headphones (to spare my spouse - ;) ) - the 'surround effects' were also amazing - wish I had a surround or Atmos system in my den to match the viewing on screen.  Now the jury is still out regarding 4K UHD physical disc vs. streaming (just one take HERE); the disc still provides better video/audio quality, but may not be available (these Indiana Jones 4Ks are only in the 4-disc box and I have no interest in the other two films), may be pricey, and require storage space; plus, I've had to return 3 or 4 glitchy 4K discs, a major irritation - SO, opinions seem to go in both directions - at the moment, I'm purchasing a mixture of 4K discs and UHD streamers.  Dave :)

Great fun, Dave!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 11, 2021, 10:11:11 AM
Great fun, Dave!

Hey Karl - assume that you're a fan, too!  8)  In 4K, Amazon is offering just the 4-movie boxes below, and since I only wanted the two shown in my previous post, went w/ the two 10 buck UHD streamers which looked and sounded great.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 11, 2021, 08:35:23 AM
Indiana JonesRaiders of the Lost Ark & the Last Crusade w/ the beautiful Karen Allen in the 'Ark' and Sean Connery in the other - my two favorites of the series and the only ones I own - had both on BD, but Amazon was offering 4K UHD versions for $10 each - they were spectacular on my 4K TV - listened to both on headphones (to spare my spouse - ;)) - the 'surround effects' were also amazing - wish I had a surround or Atmos system in my den to match the viewing on screen.  Now the jury is still out regarding 4K UHD physical disc vs. streaming (just one take HERE); the disc still provides better video/audio quality, but may not be available (these Indiana Jones 4Ks are only in the 4-disc box and I have no interest in the other two films), may be pricey, and require storage space; plus, I've had to return 3 or 4 glitchy 4K discs, a major irritation - SO, opinions seem to go in both directions - at the moment, I'm purchasing a mixture of 4K discs and UHD streamers.  Dave :)

Those two movies are also my favorites out of the lot.  Must be quite cool to watch and hear them in 4K!  Must admit, once I stumble across them on my t.v., I have an awfully hard time not watching them until the end.  :-[

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

West Side Story.

It is so long ago that I saw the original I'm unable to comment how the new Spielberg film compares. At two and a half hours I was slightly concerned my attention-span would be stretched but no worries as time flew by. Thankfully the setting was as the first film 1950's New York, with time and place perfectly caught. The highlight for me - beside Bernstein's music of course - was more dance then song. A very pretty Maria has a fine voice but I didn't think Tony was strong enough although my wife didn't agree with me. I think the violence perhaps a little too graphic for the type of likely audience, only a minor observation. A remake is always fair game for critics but I thoroughly enjoyed West Side Story. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

A Closed Book:

A famous author/critic suffers a horrific accident which leaves him both blind and disfigured. Having retreated from the world he decides that he will write one more book and he advertises for an assistant to help him to accomplish this. What results is revealing. Although a serious film one notices very amusing details going on in the background once the assistant takes up her role.

VonStupp

Some Girls (1988)
Patrick Dempsey & Jennifer Connelly
André Gregory & Lila Kedrova

Patrick Dempsey never quite made a dent in the teen-idol film arena, but Can't Buy Me Love (1987) and Loverboy (1989) were affable enough.

Some Girls is completely bizarre. Strange characters doing odd things, and I am not sure after having seen it that there was a resolution as to why things were so bizarre.

Half bedroom farce with semi-supernatural elements and a Christmas in Quebec setting. So odd...

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

'Tis the season to be jolly' -  :laugh:  Over the years I've collected many Christmas films and have avoided many of the 'cornier' ones (at least in my mind) - so being selective, wife and I have decided to watch just a portion of that collection this season - last night the two below (both now owned as HD streamers on Amazon):

While You Were Sleeping (1995) w/ Sandra Bullock, Bill Pullman, Peter Gallagher, Peter Boyle, Glynis Johns, and Jack Warden - owned this on DVD for years and just bought the Amazon HD version - short summary below (check link for more, if interested); this has been a favorite of mine for a long time, in large part because of the young spunky Bullock (Demolition Man w/ Stallone being another).  If you have not seen the movie and want a 'good feeling' holiday family film, then highly recommended.

The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017) w/ the actors in the second synopsis below - film about Charles Dickens and the writing of A Christmas Carol; now, I've seen virtually all of the Scrooge movies (and there are many!), but my favorite and the one I own is the 1984 TV Movie w/ George C. Scott - we likely will watch that one in the coming days.  Dave :)

QuoteWhile You Were Sleeping is a 1995 American romantic comedy film directed by Jon Turteltaub and written by Daniel G. Sullivan and Fredric Lebow. It stars Sandra Bullock as Lucy, a Chicago Transit Authority token collector, and Bill Pullman as Jack, the brother of a man whose life she saves, along with Peter Gallagher as Peter, the man who is saved, Peter Boyle and Glynis Johns as members of Peter's family, and Jack Warden as longtime family friend and neighbor. (Source)

QuoteThe Man Who Invented Christmas is a 2017 Christmas biographical comedy drama film directed by Bharat Nalluri and written by Susan Coyne. Based on the 2008 book of the same name about Charles Dickens by Les Standiford, the joint Irish/Canadian production stars Dan Stevens, Christopher Plummer, and Jonathan Pryce, and follows Dickens (Stevens) as he conceives and writes his 1843 novella A Christmas Carol. (Source)

listener

ILYA 'MUROMEC  (Murometz)  (1955)
The film is based on Russian epic tales about the famous hero. Ilya Muromets, like Dobrynia Nikitich and Alyosha Popovich, is a favorite character of Russian folklore.
Ilya Muromets is a heroic warrior who succeeded in protecting the Russian land from evil enemies, defeating their thousands-strong army. He saved Russia from various monsters, such as Nightingale the Robber and Gorynych the Serpent.
This was the first Soviet wide-screen motion picture. Participating in the shooting were 106,000 soldiers-extras and 11,000 horses – the record numbers in the history of world cinema (as documented in Patrick Robertson's "The New Guinness Book of Movie Records", published in 1993).
a German-dubbed edition with English subtitles, music not by Glière, selection of highlights quite different.
Not animated but lots of special effects
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Madiel

The Purity of Vengeance (or Journal 64 if you follow the original title)

The fourth 'Department Q' film. Thoroughly Scandi-noir. Decent, and interestingly with more basis in real Danish history than usual, though I don't think the best of the series. Weirdly, they've released a 5th film this year where all the main cast are completely different from the first 4 films, not sure how that will work...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SonicMan46

Last night, Susan & I ended up watching two unexpected and quite different 'Christmas' movies:

Bad Santa (2003) w/ Billy Bob Thornton and the other performers in the first quote.  Now this is an R-rated film and not for young kids - read the link below and/or Roger Ebert's Review first if you've not seen the movie; surprisingly, this was a 'ladie's choice' pick (because of 60 holiday films rated by Esquire HERE, 'Bad Santa' was number 8 - WOW!); but she stayed awake, laughed, and enjoyed - watch at your own risk and keep the youngsters away -  :laugh:

Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas (1977) - a Jim Henson production for TV - NOW at the other end of the holiday spectrum, a muppet 1-hour TV special first seen by our son when he was 4-5 years old - yet another 'ladie's choice' (and free to us on Amazon Prime) - I had not seen this show in decades and was delighted; the songs by Paul Williams (still alive at 81 years!) are just fabulous - if you've not seen this production, then will be a treat and make sure there are plenty of young ones around!   8)  Dave

QuoteBad Santa is a 2003 American Christmas black comedy film directed by Terry Zwigoff and written by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa. It stars Billy Bob Thornton, with a supporting cast of Tony Cox, Lauren Graham, Brett Kelly, Lauren Tom, John Ritter and Bernie Mac. It was Ritter's last live-action film appearance before his death on September 11, 2003; the film was dedicated to his memory. The Coen brothers are credited as executive producers. (Source)

QuoteEmmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas is a 1977 TV special based on the children's book of the same name by Russell Hoban. Directed by Jim Henson, it features a cast of Muppet characters. It was produced by The Jim Henson Company and premiered on CBC Television. The special features several original songs written by songwriter Paul Williams. The special utilizes a number of different puppetry methods. The main puppets used are the usual Muppet hand puppets, but the characters are frequently represented by marionettes as well. It also utilizes the bunraku and Black Theater techniques. This is also one of the first Muppet productions to use radio control puppet effects, designed by Faz Fazakas. (Source)

SonicMan46

Boy, surprised no posted movies the last couple of days - our films the last few nights:

A Christmas Carol (1938) w/ Gene Lockhart (Bob Cratchit), Reginald Owen (Scrooge), Kathleen Lockhart (Bob's wife in the movie and in real life), Terry Kilburn (Tiny Tim); June Lockhart in uncredited role as one of the Cratchit daughters (far left in second top pic below) - she later became the mother in the LassieTV series - assume most know the story (movie link HERE) - there have been many 'takes' on this Dickens story over the decades and I've seen most but cannot remember viewing this one - streamed from Amazon; film is only 70 mins long, so some scenes from later productions are not included - however, my favorite remains the 1984 TV show w/ George C. Scott, but for a 'short version' this one was quite good - recommended.

Remember the Night (1940) w/ Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Beulah Bondi, Stanley Holloway, and others - short beginning quoted below; see link for more.  Fred and Barbara were always an attractive couple in their films together, and this is no exception; Bondi wonderful as usual in a mother's role (same as in It's a Wonderful Life, yet another holiday movie).  I really enjoy this film and watch most years around this time - own the BD which is well done.  Dave :)

QuoteRemember the Night is a 1940 American Christmas romantic comedy trial film directed by Mitchell Leisen and starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray. The film was written by Preston Sturges. Lee Leander is arrested for stealing a bracelet from a New York City jewelry store. The assistant district attorney, John "Jack" Sargeant, is assigned to prosecute her. The trial begins just before Christmas, but to avoid facing a jury filled with the holiday spirit, Jack has the trial postponed on a technicality - see LINK!