Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

This is very sweet and touching actually. As is this:

George

Quote from: milk on January 10, 2022, 05:09:28 AM

This is very sweet and touching actually. As is this:

Two people whose work I absolutely adore. So sad we lost Super Dave. And now Bob Saget.  :'(
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

The Gentlemen:

Set in the drugs underworld this is a tale of the lust for power. It is well worth a watch.

George

Quote from: aligreto on January 10, 2022, 06:02:04 AM
The Gentlemen:

Set in the drugs underworld this is a tale of the lust for power. It is well worth a watch.

I found it deliciously fun to see Hugh Grant play against type in this.

aligreto

Quote from: George on January 10, 2022, 06:07:58 AM

Yes, I also thought that he did well here.

milk

Quote from: George on January 10, 2022, 05:41:33 AM
Two people whose work I absolutely adore. So sad we lost Super Dave. And now Bob Saget.  :'(
What a shock! Norm Macdonald too.

George

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: George on January 10, 2022, 06:07:58 AM

I haven't seen that one, but Hugh Grant is most definitely going for it in some of his more recent rules. He is an absolute joy in Paddington 2.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

The Power of the Dog:

I finally got to see this film last night. I found it to be excellent. I thought that the acting was very fine. It was a good story, well told and the cinematography was also wonderful. The film has a great presence to it.

LKB

I'm happy to see young Master Kodi getting some work. He was impressive in The Road, a few years back.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 10, 2022, 06:58:08 PM
The Killers (1946)

And, last night: The Killers (1964) with Ronald Reagan playing the heavy, and a jazzy score by "Johnny Williams" (a good score, too.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 12, 2022, 05:58:31 AM
And, last night: The Killers (1964) with Ronald Reagan playing the heavy, and a jazzy score by "Johnny Williams" (a good score, too.)

Hi Karl - don't believe that I ever saw the 1964 version - own the 1946 Criterion BD (middle image below) w/ a ravishing Ava Gardner and a young, handsome Burt Lancaster - after reading the Wiki article, might need to give the film a try! Dave :)

QuoteThe Killers is a 1964 American neo noir crime film. Written by Gene L. Coon and directed by Don Siegel, it is the second Hollywood adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's 1927 short story, following the 1946 version. The film stars Lee Marvin, John Cassavetes, Angie Dickinson, and Ronald Reagan. At the time of release, Marvin said that it was his favorite film. In July 2018, it was selected to be screened in the Venice Classics section at the 75th Venice International Film Festival. It was Ronald Reagan's final film role before retiring from acting in 1966. (Source)

SonicMan46

Last few days, some more Amazon streaming upgrades - Ball of Fire from DVD-R to HD and Day the Earth Stood Still, The from BD to 4K UHD, both looked excellent.  Brief summaries w/ links below.  Cooper and Stanwyck are great together and the supporting case outstanding - remade in 1948 as A Song is Born w/ a musical theme, starring Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo (Benny Goodman is one of the Professors, plus plenty of jazz/swing cameos).  I love 1950s sci-fi films (time when I was a boy) and the 'Day the Earth Stood Still' is one of the first - the robot Gort was a big hit w/ kids back then!  Dave :)

QuoteBall of Fire is a 1941 American screwball comedy directed by Howard Hawks and starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck. This Samuel Goldwyn Productions film concerns a group of professors laboring to write an encyclopedia and their encounter with a nightclub performer who provides her own unique knowledge. The supporting cast includes Oscar Homolka, S. Z. Sakall, Henry Travers, Richard Haydn, Dana Andrews, and Dan Duryea. (Source)

QuoteThe Day the Earth Stood Still is a 1951 American science fiction film from 20th Century Fox, produced by Julian Blaustein and directed by Robert Wise. The film stars Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe, Sam Jaffe, Billy Gray, et al. The screenplay was written by Edmund H. North, based on the 1940 science fiction short story "Farewell to the Master" by Harry Bates, and the film score was composed by Bernard Herrmann. Set in the Cold War during the early stages of the nuclear arms race, the film's storyline involves a humanoid alien visitor who comes to Earth, accompanied by a powerful robot, to deliver an important message that will affect the entire human race. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Iota on January 03, 2022, 04:55:34 AM

Mesmerising, clever, visually beautiful, with Terminator-type industrial noir music heightening the atmosphere perfectly. Quite something.

Curiosity got the better of me: I like it a great deal, and did not chafe in the least at the film's length.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY (Oliver Stone, 1989)

Only recently did I see this movie on TV despite of having had John Williams' awesome "Suite" from it on a CD since early 90's. The name of the movie always put me off giving me an impression of a very patriotic american war movie, but to my surprise this was astonishingly anti-war movie. The movie had a great (but also very depressing) story with strong political messaging. Tom Cruise is great. Oliver Stone's directing is good to great. John Williams' music is great, althou a bit repetitive because there isn't much of it composed for the rather long movie. I has surprised how deep this movie was.

Sadly, the copy they showed on TV had extremely bad picture quality. Nowadays pretty much everything they show on TV is pristine 2K or 4K restorations, but this looked like a crappy DVD barely better than VHS.  :-\
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Iota

Quote from: HomerChapman on January 07, 2022, 07:56:06 PM
I agree with this but my impression of the music was "this is Hans Zimmer- not Vangelis-and terribly loud to boot". That said, I've only seen it once in the theatre(2019)-so probably an unfair judgement, and I will have to  revisit it on disc and home screen.

I share Karl's feelings that music in the cinema is almost invariably too loud for my own enjoyment these days.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 13, 2022, 07:08:50 PM
Curiosity got the better of me: I like it a great deal, and did not chafe in the least at the film's length.

Glad no chafing burns were sustained! Like you I think the film fits its length well.

Recently:

I was very struck by Bradley Cooper being able to deliver such a magnetic, concentrated performance and direct at the same time. I know it's not uncommon, nonetheless in the setting it seemed a pretty superhuman feat. (He also co-wrote it.)

The film improves as it goes and ends up delivering quite a punch or three. Cooper gets everything just right, Lady Gaga is no slouch either, and Sam Elliot is excellent as the older brother. Quite a weepy at times, though it earned those moments I felt.

Madiel

Quote from: Iota on January 14, 2022, 10:23:57 AM
Recently:

I was very struck by Bradley Cooper being able to deliver such a magnetic, concentrated performance and direct at the same time. I know it's not uncommon, nonetheless in the setting it seemed a pretty superhuman feat. (He also co-wrote it.)

The film improves as it goes and ends up delivering quite a punch or three. Cooper gets everything just right, Lady Gaga is no slouch either, and Sam Elliot is excellent as the older brother. Quite a weepy at times, though it earned those moments I felt.

It's a very solid film. I think one of the best things about is the way that the music performances are filmed from a stage perspective, not an audience one.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: 71 dB on January 14, 2022, 05:10:40 AM
BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY (Oliver Stone, 1989)

Only recently did I see this movie on TV despite of having had John Williams' awesome "Suite" from it on a CD since early 90's. The name of the movie always put me off giving me an impression of a very patriotic american war movie, but to my surprise this was astonishingly anti-war movie. The movie had a great (but also very depressing) story with strong political messaging. Tom Cruise is great. Oliver Stone's directing is good to great. John Williams' music is great, althou a bit repetitive because there isn't much of it composed for the rather long movie. I has surprised how deep this movie was.

See also Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA, which keeps getting appropriated by people who apparently never paid any attention to the lyrics of the song which are far from celebratory.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on January 14, 2022, 05:34:23 PM
See also Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA, which keeps getting appropriated by people who apparently never paid any attention to the lyrics of the song which are far from celebratory.

Jingos are not attentive to such details.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA