Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 17, 2022, 08:58:59 AM
Hi Karl - except for the music and choreography, I was never a fan of that film (not in my collection) and have not seen since the '60s (guess that I never liked the main characters and their dubbed singing?) - BUT, I am looking forward to seeing the remake - in theaters now but will be streaming on HBO Max and Disney+ - when - not sure?  Dave :)

Dave, I see your point. I guess the music and choreography have sufficed for me. And Ned Glass and John Astin, I suppose. I fully expect the music to carry any remake. Watching last night, I chuckled at the odd bowdlerized line in concession to the censors/nannies: not only does the "spit" hit the fan (which may have been a concession of Sondheim's for the stage) but we couldn't have anyone say "sperm" on the silver screen. So instead of "sperm to worm" we hear "birth to earth."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 17, 2022, 09:08:53 AM
Dave, I see your point. I guess the music and choreography have sufficed for me. And Ned Glass and John Astin, I suppose. I fully expect the music to carry any remake. Watching last night, I chuckled at the odd bowdlerized line in concession to the censors/nannies: not only does the "spit" hit the fan (which may have been a concession of Sondheim's for the stage) but we couldn't have anyone say "sperm" on the silver screen. So instead of "sperm to worm" we hear "birth to earth."

:laugh: - in your honor below - Dave  8)

milk

I'm on Episode 5 (of 6 on Amazon). I never liked the Dead but this is fascinating. They're perhaps the only band that stuck to ideals, at least most of the way through, that set up a way of existing that countered music marketing and money-making generally.
I don't get the music, don't understand it. But I do appreciate them for what they were and for being the only ones. It's interesting because I simply do not find them interesting musically. Anyway, this doc is recommended. 

Karl Henning

High time I watched it, too: Double Indemnity
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Redemption of a Rogue:

This is an Irish film and it is quite quirky, zany and filled with black humour. I laughed my way through it because it is so creditably Irish in its own way.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on January 20, 2022, 04:31:06 AM
Redemption of a Rogue:

This is an Irish film and it is quite quirky, zany and filled with black humour. I laughed my way through it because it is so creditably Irish in its own way.

Just checked the teaser on Netflix.

Now, I have added it to the Watch list, so I have...

Just because I need to find out if he bought the 8mm or the 10mm or the 12mm or 14mm rope.

And what he did with it....

He hasn't got the face of a guy wanting to tow a cow !!  :laugh:   
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 20, 2022, 04:53:34 AM
Just checked the teaser on Netflix.

Now, I have added it to the Watch list, so I have...

Just because I need to find out if he bought the 8mm or the 10mm or the 12mm or 14mm rope.

And what he did with it....

He hasn't got the face of a guy wanting to tow a cow !!  :laugh:

These are very big decisions  ;D

You have a good sense of humour so you should enjoy it if the Irish humour makes sense and appeals to you.  ;)

Karl Henning

High time I watched it, too: All About Eve
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 20, 2022, 07:57:57 AM
High time I watched it, too: All About Eve

Hey Karl - you're certainly picking some of the classics in my collection, both excellent BDs.  Dave :)

Todd

Tenet.  First the plusses.  The film looks magnificent, and boasts some large set pieces with physical effects aplenty blended in with ample CGI.  It's high concept.  Also, it has Elizabeth Debicki.  Now the minuses.  It's too long, and while the overall plot is sensible enough for a time travel caper, the little details find Mr Nolan obsessing over plot details too arcane to follow or care about.  Also, it has Kenneth Branagh pretending to be, I think, a Russian oligarch.  Denzel's son in the lead does appear to have inherited a good portion of his father's charisma, though not necessarily the acting chops.  At times his voice sounds very similar to his father's when he was younger.

I'm hoping Nolan can make another great flick or two, though his next one, Oppenheimer with Cillian Murphy in the lead, does not instill confidence.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

VonStupp

The World According to Garp (1982)
Robin Williams, Glenn Close
John Lithgow, Mary Beth Hurt

A bit of an emotional roller coaster, and oddly broken into up-and-down dramedy vignettes. I have never read John Irving's source material.

While this is RW's film, Glenn Close as the emotionally shut-off mother who walks backwards into leading a feminist movement, John Lithgow as a sincerely portrayed, transgender ex-pro football player, and Mary Beth Hurt as Williams' wife, make the film.

A fun appearance by Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn too!

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

drogulus

Quote from: milk on January 19, 2022, 03:57:39 AM

I'm on Episode 5 (of 6 on Amazon). I never liked the Dead but this is fascinating. They're perhaps the only band that stuck to ideals, at least most of the way through, that set up a way of existing that countered music marketing and money-making generally.
I don't get the music, don't understand it. But I do appreciate them for what they were and for being the only ones. It's interesting because I simply do not find them interesting musically. Anyway, this doc is recommended. 

I think my favorite song is Born Cross-Eyed. Listen at your peril. They actually played this live back in '68, kind of a shambles with all due respect, but as with the talking dog, the mere fact......
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

aligreto

Constantine:

I watched this film because I like both Reeves and Weisz. It was, in truth, nothing special however.

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on January 23, 2022, 06:59:47 AM
The World According to Garp (1982)
Robin Williams, Glenn Close
John Lithgow, Mary Beth Hurt

A bit of an emotional roller coaster, and oddly broken into up-and-down dramedy vignettes. I have never read John Irving's source material.

While this is RW's film, Glenn Close as the emotionally shut-off mother who walks backwards into leading a feminist movement, John Lithgow as a sincerely portrayed, transgender ex-pro football player, and Mary Beth Hurt as Williams' wife, make the film.

A fun appearance by Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn too!

VS

Remember loving that in the cinema. Tried reading the novel, don't believe I finished it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

TD: re-watched Mankiewicz' Cleopatra last night, and a fascinating documentary, Cleopatra: the Film That Changed Hollywood
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 23, 2022, 10:12:19 AM
Remember loving that in the cinema. Tried reading the novel, don't believe I finished it.

I read the novel then saw the film.
Each has certain weaknesses and strengths the other doesn't, but both end up equally good, unlike Hotel New Hampshire, in which the movie is much weaker than the book (and not all of the blame for that belongs to Rob Lowe).

IIRC TWATG was Lithgow's breakout role.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on January 23, 2022, 04:38:08 PM
I read the novel then saw the film.
Each has certain weaknesses and strengths the other doesn't, but both end up equally good, unlike Hotel New Hampshire, in which the movie is much weaker than the book (and not all of the blame for that belongs to Rob Lowe).

IIRC TWATG was Lithgow's breakout role.

Interesting, thanks! You may well be right, viz. Lithgow ... Garp predated Buckaroo Banzai by two years.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

Quote from: milk on January 19, 2022, 03:57:39 AM

I love the Dead, and LOVED that series when it came out. I ought to rewatch.

milk

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 24, 2022, 02:52:48 AM
I love the Dead, and LOVED that series when it came out. I ought to rewatch.
I felt a lot of sympathy for Jerry. I don't know why - I usually don't have a lot for smack-heads - the ultimate nihilistic, giving-up-on-life move. It's such a paradox how idealistic Jerry was. Leaving aside the ice-cream and 90's pop hit, Jerry had integrity. But, he created a monster. It's sad that it all seemed to trap him and make him unhappy, in the end. There's one astonishing moment towards the end that shows how bad it was, how sad it was, I won't give it away. I'll say it again: there wasn't another band that had their kind of integrity. To me, the music still sucks (no offense). I know there must be something great about it that I don't hear. I'm genuinely glad people enjoy the music, Al Franken included.   

SonicMan46

High School Sports Movies - a few pages back, I had a couple posts on this sports genre (i.e. Remember the Titans & McFarland, the latter new to us; our favs are the Titans and the Hoosiers) - but I had put together two lists of the 'Top Ten' HS Sports Films (last pic below - of course, there are many other lists).  So, we decided to pick a couple more and have watched over the last few days:

Friday Night Lights (2004) starring Billy Bob Thornton as Coach Gary Gaines and many others, including Tim McGraw; short synopsis below - the final state championship game in the Houston Astrodome is well done w/ the 'underdog' team just losing - the following year, Gaines takes his team again to the Texas HS State Championship game and wins the title.  Always enjoy Billy Bob!

Coach Carter (2005) starring Samuel L. Jackson as the basketball coach - a lot of gang/drug culture (Richmond is in the San Francisco Bay area) - short synopsis below - enjoyable but probably our least favorite of sports films watched and quite different from 'The Hoosiers', still up there w/ 'Remember the Titans' as our favs.  Dave :)

QuoteFriday Night Lights is an American sports drama film co-written and directed by Peter Berg. The film follows the coach and players of a high school football team in the Texas city of Odessa, which supported the team and was obsessed with them. The book on which it is based, Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream (1990) by H. G. Bissinger, followed the story of the 1988 Permian High School Panthers football team as they made a run towards the state championship. A television series of the same name premiered on October 3, 2006 on NBC. ([urhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_Night_Lights_(film)]Source[/url])

QuoteCoach Carter is a 2005 American biographical teen sports drama film starring Samuel L. Jackson and directed by Thomas Carter. The film is based on the true story of Richmond High School basketball coach Ken Carter, who made headlines in 1999 for suspending his undefeated high school basketball team due to poor academic results. The story was conceived from a screenplay co-written by John Gatins and Mark Schwahn, who created the television series One Tree Hill. (Source)