Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Nobody's Fool (1994) - another DVD > HD streamer bought on Amazon, and a film enjoyed by both wife and myself; reviews: 91%, Rotten Tomatoes, 7.3/10, IMDB; 4.6/5, Amazon - easily 4* for me if voting.  Roger Ebert review, if interested (3 1/2*/4*) - highly recommended; the ensemble cast are just excellent; only 2 Oscar nominations (Best Actor & Best Adapted Screenplay) but no winners.  Dave :)

QuoteNobody's Fool is an American comedy-drama film based on the 1993 novel of the same name by Richard Russo. The film was written for the screen and directed by Robert Benton and stars Paul Newman, Jessica Tandy, Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffith, Dylan Walsh, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Gene Saks, Josef Sommer, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Philip Bosco. It was Paramount's final production under its Paramount Communications ownership, and Jessica Tandy's final performance film before her death on September 11, 1994.

71 dB

DIVA (Jean-Jacques Beineix, 1981) - Finnish Blu-ray (Futurefilm)

Wow. This is good stuff! I am new to Beineix having recently seen Betty Blue. I like his style a lot. Very good usage of camera and lenses. His movies feel honest and taste real life. He understands that movies are audiovisual art/entertainment. Diva is an interesting tasty mixture of different genres. 4/5.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Time I saw this: Lifeboat (1944)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 06, 2022, 05:45:00 PM

Starring Tallulah Bankhead, who would go on to be one of the first significant female directors. The only person who both starred in and directed episodes in the original Twilight Zone.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 06, 2022, 05:45:00 PM
Early Hitchcock w/ a great cast - spoiler HERE - good story but twice was enough for me (2nd time w/ wife who was bored) and never made a purchase (saw off TCM years ago).  Enjoy if never seen before.  Dave :)

P.S. just checked Amazon Prime Video - $10 purchase for a HD streamer?

André

Quote from: LKB on May 07, 2022, 07:39:17 AM
Starring Tallulah Bankhead, who would go on to be one of the first significant female directors. The only person who both starred in and directed episodes in the original Twilight Zone.

Bankhead was a groundbreaking figure in many ways. She was the first openly lesbian/bisexual Hollywood star. Billie Holliday was one of her lovers, as well as Hattie McDaniel - in the Jim Crow years !

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 07, 2022, 07:39:17 AM

How'd that elude me? Which episodes?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 06, 2022, 10:25:39 AM
Nobody's Fool (1994) - another DVD > HD streamer bought on Amazon, and a film enjoyed by both wife and myself; reviews: 91%, Rotten Tomatoes, 7.3/10, IMDB; 4.6/5, Amazon - easily 4* for me if voting. 

Saw this for the first time around Thanksgiving (we may have even had an exchange at the time) and enjoyed it thoroughly!

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 07, 2022, 09:23:59 AM
How'd that elude me? Which episodes?

Karl, l must beg one thousand parsons. I confused Ms. Bankhead with Ida Lupino, who starred in The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine and directed Masks.

I think the prospect of a new girlfriend, after many years alone, must have addled me.  :P

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 07, 2022, 10:58:04 AM
Karl, l must beg one thousand parsons. I confused Ms. Bankhead with Ida Lupino, who starred in The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine and directed Masks.

I think the prospect of a new girlfriend, after many years alone, must have addled me.  :P

No worries, friend! Good luck!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on May 07, 2022, 10:13:00 AM
Saw this for the first time around Thanksgiving (we may have even had an exchange at the time) and enjoyed it thoroughly!

VS

+1 - excellent movie that I wish more would see - we'll probably do a re-watch later in the year -  8)  Dave

SimonNZ

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Operafreak

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 11, 2022, 12:16:06 PM
Last night:

Great choice, I am going to dig out my copy and watch tonight.
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

SimonNZ

Somehow it was my first time seeing it. Excellent in every way.

Took me a while to realize the boy Rich was a very young John Hurt.

Karl Henning

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 11, 2022, 08:05:21 PM
Somehow it was my first time seeing it. Excellent in every way.

Took me a while to realize the boy Rich was a very young John Hurt.

Right?

TD: Crimes and Misdemeanors.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Lately, I've been exposed to unfamiliar movies via reaction videos and excerpts available on YouTube.

The most recent exposure was to Green Book, which struck me as a rather mixed bag. Viggo Mortensen is probably one of the best actors working atm, but l was underwhelmed by his efforts in this film; l suspect he was trying too hard to define his character. Mahershala Ali was better, with some tasty fried chicken highlights. Fortunately, the story is interesting enough on its own terms to support the acting which is delivered.

The strongest aspect of the film is the depressingly accurate portrayal of the deep South of that era. Costumes seemed authentic, and while some of the bigots were clichéd that was probably unavoidable, you need some exaggeration to make the point within a limited running time.

In short, a story worth telling received a film worth  watching.

Iota

Quote from: LKB on May 12, 2022, 10:42:50 AM
Lately, I've been exposed to unfamiliar movies via reaction videos and excerpts available on YouTube.

The most recent exposure was to Green Book, which struck me as a rather mixed bag. Viggo Mortensen is probably one of the best actors working atm, but l was underwhelmed by his efforts in this film; l suspect he was trying too hard to define his character. Mahershala Ali was better, with some tasty fried chicken highlights. Fortunately, the story is interesting enough on its own terms to support the acting which is delivered.

The strongest aspect of the film is the depressingly accurate portrayal of the deep South of that era. Costumes seemed authentic, and while some of the bigots were clichéd that was probably unavoidable, you need some exaggeration to make the point within a limited running time.

In short, a story worth telling received a film worth  watching.

A perfect summary. I agree with every word.

SimonNZ

Its ambition exceeded its grasp in a few ways, but its still good to see someone attempting ambitious science fiction with fresh ideas.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 03, 2022, 01:16:18 PM
Bullets Over Broadway, Woody Allen.
Not a fan of John Cusack, but fine movie.

I'm in. Time I saw this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA