Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 15, 2022, 03:28:14 PM
You're not going to budge on this "commandeering" thing, are you?

:laugh: Great!
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

And, I need this tonight: Everyone Says I Love You.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

That is some title... it actually is inducing anxiety, and l don't know a damn thing about it.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 15, 2022, 07:45:16 PM
That is some title... it actually is inducing anxiety, and l don't know a damn thing about it.

Try it, you'll like it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

The Belier Family

The original. Before America felt the need to remake it as CODA and it won the Oscar for best picture.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 14, 2022, 01:57:27 PM
Watched this fascinating movie yesterday:

Watched this last night. Ken Branagh as "the Woody Allen character" (albeit played straight) was both fascinating with a strain of self-destructive pathos. It was touching that things turned out so well for Robin (Judy Davis)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2022, 06:36:35 AM
Watched this last night. Ken Branagh as "the Woody Allen character" (albeit played straight) was both fascinating with a strain of self-destructive pathos. It was touching that things turned out so well for Robin (Judy Davis)

Weirdly fascinating movie. Karl, do you like Whatever Works? The movie and Celebrities are my fav among later Allen movies.

Karl Henning

I also re-watched Robt Weide's Woody Allen documentary which is terrific. My first viewing (some years since) yielded a short-ish Wish List. One result being that I drew more out from this second pass.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 18, 2022, 06:45:41 AM
Weirdly fascinating movie. Karl, do you like Whatever Works? The movie and Celebrities are my fav among later Allen movies.

Whatever Works is fabulous!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2022, 06:49:30 AM
I also re-watched Robt Weide's Woody Allen documentary which is terrific. My first viewing (some years since) yielded a short-ish Wish List. One result being that I drew more out from this second pass.

I must check it out!
I have his autobiography in my library but haven't started reading it yet.

SonicMan46

Well, continuing w/ old Gary Cooper bio films:

Sergeant York (1941) - story of Alvin York, a Tennessee farmer and winner of many medals in WW I, including the Congressional Medal of Honor - short summary below - made in '41 so suspect some sentimental patriotism - nominated for 11 Oscars, winner of only two which included Best Actor for Cooper.  The 'love interest' in the film was played by Joan Leslie, only 16 y/o at the time!
QuoteSergeant York is a 1941 American biographical film about the life of Alvin C. York, one of the most decorated American soldiers of World War I. Directed by Howard Hawks and starring Gary Cooper in the title role, the film was a critical and commercial success, and became the highest-grossing film of 1941. (Source)

The Pride of the Yankees (1942) - most anyone who has followed American baseball knows the story, if not, short summary below and much more at the link. Babe Ruth (and several other Yankee team mates) appear as themselves in the film; also nominated for 11 Oscars but winner of only one for 'film editing'. 
QuoteThe Pride of the Yankees is a 1942 American film produced by Samuel Goldwyn, directed by Sam Wood, and starring Gary Cooper, Teresa Wright, and Walter Brennan. It is a tribute to the legendary New York Yankees first baseman Lou Gehrig, who died only one year before its release, at age 37, from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, which later became known to the lay public as "Lou Gehrig's disease". (Source)
Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 18, 2022, 06:57:13 AM
I must check it out!
I have his autobiography in my library but haven't started reading it yet.

Oh, that sounds most interesting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Reader, Kate Winslet et al..

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Cato

I first saw this on a small television screen in 1954, when we lived in South Bend, Indiana: the T.V. set was upstairs for better reception!

It was barely 20 years old at the time.

Naturally I was completely riveted at a young age, especially by the Max Steiner score, and also by the performance of the mesmerizing Robert Armstrong:

KING KONG!

We go from the gloom of the Depression in New York City to an outrageous fantasy...and it all works seamlessly!

"Well, Mr. Denham, the airplanes got him!"

"No, it wasn't the airplanes.  It was beauty killed the beast!"
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

More W.A.: Small Time Crooks (2000)

By turns farcical and sweet, with a very nice payoff at the end. I might have dreamt of Elaine May and Woody Allen teaming up.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2022, 07:54:51 PM
More W.A.: Small Time Crooks (2000)

By turns farcical and sweet, with a very nice payoff at the end. I might have dreamt of Elaine May and Woody Allen teaming up.

Elaine May steals this movie.

Mirror Image

Watched earlier:

One of my favorite comedies --- I'm a huge Mel Brooks fan. Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are two other favorites. I don't watch dramas much any more and this is mainly because I like to laugh and leave serious thought for music and reading. I know that sounds kind of odd, but I never said I was capable of anything less! ;D

LKB

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 18, 2022, 08:47:21 PM
Watched earlier:

One of my favorite comedies --- I'm a huge Mel Brooks fan. Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are two other favorites. I don't watch dramas much any more and this is mainly because I like to laugh and leave serious thought for music and reading. I know that sounds kind of odd, but I never said I was capable of anything less! ;D

Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are my numbers 3 & 2 comedies, respectively, with Airplane at the top. Brooks was a genius during those years.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Fëanor

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 18, 2022, 08:47:21 PM
Watched earlier:

Mel Brooks' style comedy is just not my thing.  That said, I did somewhat enjoy Space Balls.

John Candy was a fine comedic actor;  his premature death was sad and unfortunate for the industry.  I particularly enjoyed him in Planes, Trains & Automobiles, (despite Steve Martin).