Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 18, 2022, 09:00:42 PM
Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are my numbers 3 & 2 comedies, respectively, with Airplane at the top. Brooks was a genius during those years.

A Druish Princess!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Worth a watch, but not nearly as darkly funny as I thought it would be.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

71 dB

BREATHLESS (Jim McBride, 1983) - UK Second Sight Blu-ray

This is one of those movies that are one of their kind. It is stylistically a hybrid of European and American movie making. It concentrates on doing its thing well and trusts its own strengths. Few people understood this movie in 1983, but movies like this tend to become cult classics with time, with or without the approval/praise of people like Quentin Tarantino. 4/5

(No, I have not seen Godard's A Bout de Souffle if someone asks that.)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

For only the second time, as yet: Curse of the Jade Scorpion.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bhodges

L'Avventura (1960, dir. Antonioni) - First time seeing this -- and on the big screen, too! -- despite being a big fan of the director. Can't claim to have sorted it all out yet, but a fascinating couple of hours. One of the stars, Monica Vitti, was on my mind since she died in February.

--Bruce

LKB

Somewhat off-topic, but this is too good to  not be shared.

It seems one of the young actors in Jaws has just become police chief where Spielberg shot the film. What are the odds...

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/20/1100361304/jaws-police-chief-marthas-vineyard
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SimonNZ

I hope someone thought to capture their election night reaction with a dolly-in-zoom-out effect.

VonStupp

Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019)
Justice Smith, Ryan Reynolds, Bill Nighy

I know zilch regarding Pokémon, but I knew the girls would have fun. Turns out there is a lot of heart here with a strong theme of fathers and sons.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

71 dB

SCANDAL (Michael Caton-Jones, 1989)

This movie is build from rather short scenes jump-cutting days at a time covering a time period of a few years in the beginning of the 60's. The short scenes failed to got me invested of the plot or the characters. Due to this, the movie felt rather boring and extremely long (for 114 minutes). I suppose this movie is based pretty accurately to what happened in UK political circles some 60 years ago. As a Finn I don't know these things. Perhaps only brits themselves can appreciate a movie like this? The highlight of this movie for me was when the black guy wanted to enter doctor Ward's place shooting the door and the lady in the neighbour looks at this activity from her window and calls doctor Ward (how did she know where to call because doctor Ward wasn't home?) telling him in calm voice "You should know doctor Ward, that there is a black man shooting at your door."  ;D 

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 20, 2022, 06:17:11 PM
Somewhat off-topic, but this is too good to  not be shared.

It seems one of the young actors in Jaws has just become police chief where Spielberg shot the film. What are the odds...

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/20/1100361304/jaws-police-chief-marthas-vineyard

The odds are long, but not crazy. He must have been an Islander kid who was adopted as an extra, and may have spent all his life on the Vineyard. A most delicious turn of events, in any case.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

TD: Michael Caine, Steve Martin & Glenne Headly in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Not to take anything away from Headly's performance, part of me still wishes that Elaine May had been in this 'un.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 21, 2022, 07:19:05 AM
TD: Michael Caine, Steve Martin & Glenne Headly in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Funny movie! I have the German Koch films Blu-ray ("Zwei Hinreissend Verdorbene Schurken") which has wonderful picture quality!  0:)

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on May 21, 2022, 07:39:56 AM
Funny movie! I have the German Koch films Blu-ray ("Zwei Hinreissend Verdorbene Schurken") which has wonderful picture quality!  0:)

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: 71 dB on May 21, 2022, 03:33:56 AM
SCANDAL (Michael Caton-Jones, 1989)
This movie is build from rather short scenes jump-cutting days at a time covering a time period of a few years in the beginning of the 60's. The short scenes failed to got me invested of the plot or the characters. Due to this, the movie felt rather boring and extremely long (for 114 minutes). I suppose this movie is based pretty accurately to what happened in UK political circles some 60 years ago. As a Finn I don't know these things. Perhaps only brits themselves can appreciate a movie like this? The highlight of this movie for me was when the black guy wanted to enter doctor Ward's place shooting the door and the lady in the neighbour looks at this activity from her window and calls doctor Ward (how did she know where to call because doctor Ward wasn't home?) telling him in calm voice "You should know doctor Ward, that there is a black man shooting at your door."  ;D

Love the movie, love John Hurt in the movie. 

SonicMan46

James Bond films - I own just over a half dozen, most on physical BDs, but a smaller number as Amazon 4K streamers - last few nights I've been watching the pic below as my newest 4K purchase (the BD will go to a local charity):

GoldenEye (1995) w/ Pierce Brosnan in his first film as the British spy; also Sean Bean, Izabella Scorupco, Judi Dench, Joe Don Baker, and others - Wiki article HERE - enjoyed and looked great on my 4K HDTV - on Rotten Tomatoes, 27 Bond films are ranked and this one is at No. 10, most of those in my collection are in the top 10 except for The Living Daylights (1987) w/ Timothy Dalton - it's at No. 12 but is my all time favorite Bond film (own that as a 4K streamer).  Dave :)

P.S. I think that Izabella Scorupco is a knockout in this film - there are plenty of 'Bond Girls' ratings (one HERE) which are quite variable - she hovers about No. 10/11 or so in some of these lists.

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 21, 2022, 08:07:09 AM
James Bond films - I own just over a half dozen, most on physical BDs, but a smaller number as Amazon 4K streamers - last few nights I've been watching the pic below as my newest 4K purchase (the BD will go to a local charity):

GoldenEye (1995) w/ Pierce Brosnan in his first film as the British spy; also Sean Bean, Izabella Scorupco, Judi Dench, Joe Don Baker, and others - Wiki article HERE - enjoyed and looked great on my 4K HDTV - on Rotten Tomatoes, 27 Bond films are ranked and this one is at No. 10, most of those in my collection are in the top 10 except for The Living Daylights (1987) w/ Timothy Dalton - it's at No. 12 but is my all time favorite Bond film (own that as a 4K streamer).  Dave :)

P.S. I think that Izabella Scorupco is a knockout in this film - there are plenty of 'Bond Girls' ratings (one HERE) which are quite variable - she hovers about No. 10/11 or so in some of these lists.

Very fond of Goldeneye, Dave.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ritter

Quote from: Brewski on May 20, 2022, 05:24:57 PM
L'Avventura (1960, dir. Antonioni) - First time seeing this -- and on the big screen, too! -- despite being a big fan of the director. Can't claim to have sorted it all out yet, but a fascinating couple of hours. One of the stars, Monica Vitti, was on my mind since she died in February.

--Bruce
A film that epitomises cinema as an art form, IMHO.

If it's of any solace to you, nobody seems to have ever been able to really sort it out. There's the anecdote of Antonioni and of IIRC screenwriter Tonino Guerra, when seeking financing for the movie, being kicked out of a prospective  producer's office when they couldn't give an answer to the question of what happens in the end to the disappeared Anna.  ;D

Still, my favourite remains Antonioni's following movie, La Notte (it's obsessed since I first watched it more than 40 years ago.... :)

Lisztianwagner

Death on the Nile (2022)

I think it's an interesting movie, but the crime plot is a little disappointing and the characters too little developed (apart from the protagonist, but unfortunately Branagh's Poirot is not Poirot).

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

bhodges

Quote from: ritter on May 21, 2022, 11:22:18 AM
A film that epitomises cinema as an art form, IMHO.

If it's of any solace to you, nobody seems to have ever been able to really sort it out. There's the anecdote Antonioni and of IIRC screenwriter Tonino Guerra, when seeking financing for the movie, being kicked out of a prospective  producer's office when they couldn't give and answer to the question of what happens in the end to the disappeared Anna.  ;D

Still, my favourite remains Antonioni's following movie, La Notte (it's obsessed since I first watched it more than 40 years ago.... :)

Thanks for this reply! After much contemplation (and reading dozens of articles after), your 'art form' comment rings mighty true. And I'm laughing at the Antonioni/screenwriter comment, which I can well imagine. (The series here -- from the Philadelphia Film Society -- is called 'Cannes I Get a Boo?' with films that were initially booed at Cannes, but later became more highly regarded. ;D) The ambiguity didn't bother me at all, but I can easily see why some viewers at the time were shocked, dismayed, disappointed. "Why didn't you finish the story?" My view: life is like that, and doesn't always wrap itself up neatly.

La Notte was the one I saw most recently (maybe 2-3 years ago), and I can well understand your obsession. Before that, Red Desert, and long before that, Blow-Up. I loved ALL of them, even the inscrutable parts. All have incredible visuals (speaking as a visual arts guy), and I admire filmmakers who can make you think about their work for days, weeks, months afterward. Antonioni's visual sense is beyond powerful. I still recall many images from all of them (and want to see all of them again).

PS, the first part of L'Avventura gave me a few chuckles. All these rich people clambering around on these rather dangerous looking rocks, with no protective gear, no sensible shoes, no food, no water. One woman holds a little dog; is that dog getting anything to eat or drink? ;D But like much of the rest of the film, there really is no answer, nor is one needed.

--Bruce

VonStupp

Double Jeopardy (1999)
Ashley Judd, Tommy Lee Jones, Bruce Greenwood

A typical 90's mystery thriller, with a little revenge thrown in. It may be by-the-numbers and predictable, but I enjoy this sort of thing every now and again.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."