Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 23, 2022, 07:15:59 AM
Thanks for the reminder, I should watch this.

It's a very good movie.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aligreto

Kieślowski: Dekalog No. 7

A girl of sixteen has a child by one of her teachers. Her domineering mother is the head of the school where they both attended. To avoid a major scandal the mother assumes possession of the child as her own with her daughter living under the same roof. After six years of this arrangement the real mother kidnaps her daughter and seeks the help of the natural father of the child.

Todd

Spiderhead.  Thor and Rooster, along with Jussie Smollet's non-felon sister Jurnee, bring to the small screen a cinematic adaptation of a short story from The New Yorker, directed by current top gun director Joseph Kosinski.  In this dystopian present/future, prisoners volunteer to move to a prison where they can roam free in exchange for being test subjects for Big Pharma.  Evil corporate shenanigans follow and the humanity of the inmates is revealed.  Dark, probably serious themes get explored, humor gets tossed in, and Thor adopts a convincing American accent for the duration.  The interior set used a facility in Australia that looks only a bit sleeker than what one finds in Mexico City.  It may have been cheaper to shoot down under.  Using the old four star rating system, this is a two star time waster with enough good moments to make it feel like something less than a waste of time.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

2001: A Space Oddyssey (1968) w/ the two main stars quoted below - just purchased the 4K version (spectacular review - second pic - LINK) - AV restoration is awesome, both visuals and the vibrant classical music soundtrack - still trying to figure out the film after maybe 4 watches since release! A MUST see - Dave :)

Quote2001: A Space Odyssey is a 1968 epic science fiction film produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick. The screenplay was written by Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke. The film stars Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, et al, and follows a voyage to Jupiter with the sentient supercomputer HAL after the discovery of an alien monolith. The film is noted for its scientifically accurate depiction of space flight, pioneering special effects, and ambiguous imagery. Kubrick avoided conventional cinematic and narrative techniques, and there are long sequences accompanied only by music. The soundtrack incorporates numerous works of classical music, by composers including Richard Strauss, Johann Strauss II, Aram Khachaturian, and György Ligeti. The film received diverse critical responses, ranging from those who saw it as darkly apocalyptic to those who saw it as an optimistic reappraisal of the hopes of humanity. Critics noted its exploration of themes such as human evolution, technology, artificial intelligence, and the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It was nominated for four Academy Awards, winning Kubrick the award for his direction of the visual effects. The film is now widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential films ever made. (Source - edited)

LKB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 25, 2022, 08:07:50 AM
2001: A Space Oddyssey (1968) w/ the two main stars quoted below - just purchased the 4K version (spectacular review - second pic - LINK) - AV restoration is awesome, both visuals and the vibrant classical music soundtrack - still trying to figure out the film after maybe 4 watches since release! A MUST see - Dave :)

From my first viewing in a Cinerama theater in 1968 until this moment, my ultimate favorite.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

VonStupp

Pleasantville (1998)
Tobey Maguire, Joan Allen, Don Knotts
Reese Witherspoon, Jeff Daniels
William H. Macy, J.T. Walsh, Paul Walker

I think Pleasantville came out around the same time as The Truman Show. Truman was the greater movie.

Still, the personal repression vs political oppression angle is an interesting one, plus the B&W visual palette is so interesting around occasional striking colors.

Don Knotts is great to see too!

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Animation Movies!  I own about two dozen films in this genre, mostly Disney productions (going back to Snow White and..... released in 1937) - now as a subscriber to Disney+ (on my son's plan) most of these movies can be streamed, e.g. I have the Ratatouille BD but watched the 4K from the Disney channel.  Wife not as enthralled, so over the last week or so had to be quite selective and watched the three below:

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014) - synopsis below and review at the link - a lot of adult humor; however reviews were mixed, but we enjoyed - I would do 3 1/2* to 4* on Amazon.

Ratatouille (2007) - Pixar production released by Disney (second quote) - as above, we watched the 4K streaming version, a gorgeous production - reviews: 8.1/10, IMDB; 96%, Rotten Tomatoes - highly recommended.   

Corpse Bride (2005) - a Tim Burton stop-action film with fantastic imagery and sound (see third quote); reviews were also mixed, 7.3/10, IMDB & 84%, Rotten Tomatoes - I'd go 4* on Amazon - recommended.

BTW - the Amazon reviewers seem to love these three films, i.e. over 4 1/2*/5* for all.  Dave :)

QuoteMr. Peabody, the most accomplished dog in the world, and his mischievous boy Sherman, use their time machine - the WABAC - to go on the most outrageous adventures known to man or dog. But when Sherman takes the WABAC out for a joyride to impress his friend Penny, they accidentally rip a hole in the universe, wreaking havoc on the most important events in world history. Before they forever alter the past, present and future, Mr. Peabody must come to their rescue, ultimately facing the most daunting challenge of any era: figuring out how to be a parent. Together, the time traveling trio will make their mark on history. (Source)

QuoteRatatouille - Remy, a resident of Paris, appreciates good food and has quite a sophisticated palate. He would love to become a chef so he can create and enjoy culinary masterpieces to his heart's delight. The only problem is, Remy is a rat. When he winds up in the sewer beneath one of Paris' finest restaurants, the rodent gourmet finds himself ideally placed to realize his dream. (Source)

QuoteCorpse Bride - Victor (Johnny Depp) and Victoria's (Emily Watson) families have arranged their marriage. Though they like each other, Victor is nervous about the ceremony. While he's in a forest practicing his lines for the wedding, a tree branch becomes a hand that drags him to the land of the dead. It belongs to Emily, who was murdered after eloping with her love and wants to marry Victor. Victor must get back aboveground before Victoria marries the villainous Barkis Bittern (Richard E. Grant). (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 26, 2022, 09:33:55 AM
Animation Movies!  I own about two dozen films in this genre, mostly Disney productions (going back to Snow White and..... released in 1937) - now as a subscriber to Disney+ (on my son's plan) most of these movies can be streamed, e.g. I have the Ratatouille BD but watched the 4K from the Disney channel.  Wife not as enthralled, so over the last week or so had to be quite selective and watched the three below:

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014) - synopsis below and review at the link - a lot of adult humor; however reviews were mixed, but we enjoyed - I would do 3 1/2* to 4* on Amazon.

Ratatouille (2007) - Pixar production released by Disney (second quote) - as above, we watched the 4K streaming version, a gorgeous production - reviews: 8.1/10, IMDB; 96%, Rotten Tomatoes - highly recommended.   

Corpse Bride (2005) - a Tim Burton stop-action film with fantastic imagery and sound (see third quote); reviews were also mixed, 7.3/10, IMDB & 84%, Rotten Tomatoes - I'd go 4* on Amazon - recommended.

BTW - the Amazon reviewers seem to love these three films, i.e. over 4 1/2*/5* for all.  Dave :)

I like the Corpse Bride rather better than the average Tim Burton endeavor.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 26, 2022, 09:33:55 AM

Somewhat related, last night I watched:

Paw Patrol: The Movie (2021)

with the girls. Better than a Nickelodeon toddler cartoon on the big screen has any right to be. And of course, they like it, which I guess is the point.

VS

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 26, 2022, 10:16:19 AM
I like the Corpse Bride rather better than the average Tim Burton endeavor.

Hi Karl - curious about Burton's output - from Wiki below - believe I've seen virtually all of those films and own 6 at the moment (blue boxes); we liked Frankenweenie but never made a purchase.  But I agree that I'm 'lukewarm' about a number of those listed, e.g. I disliked his Sweeney Todd - had seen it on Broadway w/ Angela Lansbury and George Hearn, so my expectation.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 26, 2022, 10:45:37 AM
Hi Karl - curious about Burton's output - from Wiki below - believe I've seen virtually all of those films and own 6 at the moment (blue boxes); we liked Frankenweenie but never made a purchase.  But I agree that I'm 'lukewarm' about a number of those listed, e.g. I disliked his Sweeney Todd - had seen it on Broadway w/ Angela Lansbury and George Hearn, so my expectation.  Dave :)

Aye, I enjoyed Frankenweenie, as well, Dave. Perhaps, as with a number of artists, Burton is at his best when not taking himelf too seriously.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Ratatouille remains one of my favourite movies of all time.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spotted Horses

I watched Sun Valley Serenade.

This movie came to my attention because of a performance by the Nicholas Brothers with Dorothy Dandridge. I watched the entire film because I wanted to see the context in which their performance occurred. It is interesting from the point of view of musical performance and U.S. social/racial history.

The plot of the film is pretty idiotic, representing the patriarchal nature of U.S. culture at the time. The centerpiece of the film is a rehearsal sequence in which the Glenn Miller orchestra performs Chattanooga Choo Choo. The rehearsal sequence is very congenial, taking place in a lodge where Miller interacts with his musicians, and Tenor Sax player Tex Beneke strolls out and sings two verses with the Modernairs, who are sitting at a table playing cards. Then the camera pans left and Dorothy Dandridge and the Nicholas Brothers are inexplicably standing on an elaborate set and repeat Chattanooga Choo Choo as a song and tap dance routine. Perhaps it was considered progressive to black performers in a big studio film, but they are completely isolated from the white performers to the extent that no interaction occurs, or is possible. The artistry of the Nicholas Brothers is utterly astonishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2aj0zhXlLA
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Quote from: Madiel on June 26, 2022, 02:06:56 PM
Ratatouille remains one of my favourite movies of all time.
+1 -  8)

Stimulated by posts w/ Karl, last night we decided to watch some more Burton films:

Sleepy Hollow (1999) w/ Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci and a host of other stars (listed below in first quote) - this is probably my favorite Burton film - love the Gothic ambience w/ the grayish look to the film and Depp's portrayal of a NYC constable - reviews mixed but I'd do a 4* on Amazon - recommended if Burton, Depp, and the story pique your fancy -  ;D

Frankenweenie (2012) - do not own this film but able to stream in HD off the Disney+ site; forgot how excellent and funny this film is - see second quote - good reviews and highly recommended; I can see a re-watch next year?   8)  Dave

QuoteSleepy Hollow is an American gothic supernatural horror film directed by Tim Burton. It is a film adaptation loosely based on Washington Irving's 1820 short story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", and stars Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci, with Miranda Richardson, Michael Gambon, Casper Van Dien, Christopher Lee and Jeffrey Jones in supporting roles. The plot follows police constable Ichabod Crane (Depp) sent from New York City to investigate a series of murders in the village of Sleepy Hollow by a mysterious Headless Horseman. (Source)

QuoteFrankenweenie is a 2012 American 3D stop motion-animated science fiction comedy-horror film directed by Tim Burton and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. It is a parody of and homage to the 1931 film Frankenstein, based on Mary Shelley's 1818 book Frankenstein. In the film, a boy named Victor Frankenstein uses electricity to resurrect his dead Bull Terrier, Sparky, but his peers discover what he has done and reanimate their own deceased pets and other creatures, that results in mayhem. The tongue-in-cheek film contains numerous references to and parodies of elements of Frankenstein and past film versions of it, other literary classics, various horror and science-fiction films, and other films which Burton has directed or produced. (Source)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 26, 2022, 09:03:21 PM
I watched Sun Valley Serenade.

This movie came to my attention because of a performance by the Nicholas Brothers with Dorothy Dandridge. I watched the entire film because I wanted to see the context in which their performance occurred. It is interesting from the point of view of musical performance and U.S. social/racial history.

The plot of the film ....................

Boy, I've not seen that film in a while and do not even own as a DVD-R (use to burn hundreds of old public domain films off the TCM channel), but enjoyed - love the Nicholas Brothers, and 'racial' film attitudes changed dramatically from the '30s into the '50s and later, e.g. take a look at this YouTube video w/ them and Gene Kelly from the 1948 film 'The Pirate' - Gene Kelly & Nicholas Brothers.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 27, 2022, 06:47:26 AM
+1 -  8)

Stimulated by posts w/ Karl, last night we decided to watch some more Burton films:

Sleepy Hollow (1999) w/ Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci and a host of other stars (listed below in first quote) - this is probably my favorite Burton film - love the Gothic ambience w/ the grayish look to the film and Depp's portrayal of a NYC constable - reviews mixed but I'd do a 4* on Amazon - recommended if Burton, Depp, and the story pique your fancy -  ;D

Frankenweenie (2012) - do not own this film but able to stream in HD off the Disney+ site; forgot how excellent and funny this film is - see second quote - good reviews and highly recommended; I can see a re-watch next year?   8)  Dave

Dave, I've been thinking it's time I watched Sleepy Hollow ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

John Wick

John Wick 2

and now

John Wick 3
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

steve ridgway

Silence. Absorbing and unusual, if rather violent, story with some interesting questions such as what converts to a religion introduced by an alien culture might actually believe in.

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 27, 2022, 08:33:28 AM
Dave, I've been thinking it's time I watched Sleepy Hollow ....

I like that they made Sleepy Hollow into a detective mystery, albeit it rather strange. Of course, you get Christopher Walken too!

VS

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 27, 2022, 08:48:34 AM
I like that they made Sleepy Hollow into a detective mystery, albeit it rather strange. Of course, you get Christopher Walken too!

VS

A short snippet of it came on the TV at my host family's in Tallinn (broadcast from Helsinki) and I found myself a bit reflexively put off, that it had so little to do with the Ur-text. This annoyance was exacerbated by a reviewer who wrote (nearly in as many words) I haven't read the short story and I don't care if I never do.

But, of course, that's all beside the point, and I can lay that annoyance to rest now.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA