Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Brewski on July 03, 2022, 09:54:50 AM
I can't blame you. To paraphrase, "one man's kitsch is another's torment" or something like that. And it does go on...and on...and on. For a silly melodrama, it definitely outwears its welcome.

But then you get Patty Duke, hilariously overacting, and everyone else in the cast following suit. With all the pre-publicity (e.g., Judy Garland bowing out, Susan Hayward not getting along with the rest of the cast, Jacqueline Susann calling it a piece of s***), it's as if everyone eventually realized, this movie is an utter disaster so we might as well just have some fun.

Or something.  ;D

--Bruce
I had heard about that movie, but now I really want to watch it!  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on July 03, 2022, 10:01:49 AM

I deny the suggestion that our Bruce is at all intentionally evil 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Quote from: ritter on July 03, 2022, 10:01:49 AM

;D ;D ;D

It brings "camp" to a new level.

If you ever did the thing with The Rocky Horror Picture Show (a much better movie than this), take note: watching with a giddy, sarcastic group would be the way to go.  8)

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2022, 10:11:08 AM
I deny the suggestion that our Bruce is at all intentionally evil 8)

;D

--Bruce

LKB

MST3K meets Valley of the Dolls?

I'm in.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

bhodges

Quote from: LKB on July 03, 2022, 12:23:08 PM
MST3K meets Valley of the Dolls?

I'm in.

:laugh:

Oh wow, I miss that show! And those guys would have a field day with this one. (They might have to revise the show name slightly, e.g., "Mystery Science Soap Opera Theater 3000.")

--Bruce

Madiel

All I know about Valley of the Dolls is that the title used to confuse me. There's a classic Australian play called Summer of the Seventeenth Doll.

It's not kitsch.

Edit: Apparently there's a film version which in America was called Season of Passion. From what I just read it sounds utterly wrong-headed.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Elvis.

At 2hrs 39min yet seemed to whiz through Elvis Presley's 42 years. I found the early period and last of his life in the film of most interest. The resemblance of the lead Austin Butler to EP was fairly close but the odd expression and look uncannily was Elvis. Tom Hanks, as we know is a brilliant actor and he doesn't disappoint as Col Tom Parker. A sad story of it's time. 

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Phantasm (1979)

Back when this was released, I boarded with people who were the first I knew to subscribe to the new-fangled Home Box Office. I saw numerous teasers for this film. I guess I never actually watched it (today was assuredly a first viewing) but it kind of stuck with me. I've been curious for about a week to watch it at last, and I found it on Tubi. I don't need the rest of the franchise, I expect.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 04, 2022, 03:06:42 PM
Phantasm (1979)

Back when this was released, I boarded with people who were the first I knew to subscribe to the new-fangled Home Box Office. I saw numerous teasers for this film. I guess I never actually watched it (today was assuredly a first viewing) but it kind of stuck with me. I've been curious for about a week to watch it at last, and I found it on Tubi. I don't need the rest of the franchise, I expect.

That is an acid trip of a movie.  The flying balls that drill into your brain, squashing people and sending them to a parallel dimension as slaves... the strangeness just goes on and on.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on July 05, 2022, 07:50:55 AM
That is an acid trip of a movie.  The flying balls that drill into your brain, squashing people and sending them to a parallel dimension as slaves... the strangeness just goes on and on.

Aye. Deliciously well done, a triumph of shoestring indie endeavor.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: DavidW on July 05, 2022, 07:50:55 AM

Sound's like a Trump rally...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SonicMan46

The American President (1995) - short synopsis below and another film we love to watch together (have gone from VHS > DVD > BD) - the American Film Institute has a bunch of film rankings, and in their 'America's Greatest Love Stories', this was down the list at No. 75, upstaged by the original King Kong starring Fay Wray and Kong which came in at No. 24 (check HERE, if interested) -  :laugh:  Dave

QuoteThe American President is an American romantic comedy-drama film directed and produced by Rob Reiner and written by Aaron Sorkin. The film stars Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, and Richard Dreyfuss. In the film, President Andrew Shepherd (Douglas) is a widower who pursues a relationship with environmental lobbyist Sydney Ellen Wade (Bening) – who has just moved to Washington, D.C. – while at the same time attempting to win the passage of a crime control bill during a re-election year. The American Film Institute ranked The American President No. 75 on its list of America's Greatest Love Stories.(Source)

VonStupp

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (2002)
Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christiansen, Natalie Portman
Christopher Lee, Samuel L. Jackson

Yuck! Mostly for the uncomfortable, lasciviously leering love story.

Saw Phantom Menace in the theatre. Not this one!

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 05, 2022, 01:43:20 PM
The American President (1995) - short synopsis below and another film we love to watch together [...]

Such a fun one to revisit!  :)

VS

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on July 05, 2022, 02:40:11 PM
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (2002)
Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christiansen, Natalie Portman
Christopher Lee, Samuel L. Jackson

Yuck! Mostly for the uncomfortable, lasciviously leering love story.

Saw Phantom Menace in the theatre. Not this one!

VS

Is this the one Roger Ebert meant when he said it was about as exciting as watching Congressional hearings on C-SPAN?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 05, 2022, 02:43:02 PM
Is this the one Roger Ebert meant when he said it was about as exciting as watching Congressional hearings on C-SPAN?

I am thinking that is probably the first one Phantom Menace (1999). Endless chats about a trade delegation and their embargo, straight from rubber mouths that barely move.  :laugh:

VS

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on July 05, 2022, 02:48:52 PM
I am thinking that is probably the first one Phantom Menace (1999). Endless chats about a trade delegation and their embargo, straight from rubber mouths that barely move.  :laugh:

VS

And you were in the theatre for that. Oof!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 05, 2022, 02:53:06 PM
And you were in the theatre for that. Oof!

I never went back to the theatre for a Star Wars movie again. As I remember, the 3rd movie made some amends.

VS

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on July 05, 2022, 02:41:28 PM
Such a fun one to revisit!  :)

VS

+1 - Hi VS - well, the 'companion' for us is Dave which will soon be another re-watch - those two presidential comedy-dramas just seem to be made for our tastes -  :laugh:  Dave

Karl Henning

MN Dave got me curious, so I watched Wes Craven's Deadly Blessing. A noisy mix. That said, Jas Horner's score is nice. Good jump-scare courtesy of some chickens.  Ernest Borgnine, by gum!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA