Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 29, 2022, 09:00:35 AM
It's cultural imperialism; some of their Japanese subjects would become loyal to the Pope.

Quote from: Florestan on June 30, 2022, 09:54:41 AM
That's not what the book implies in the least. Most Japanese Christians were externely poor, downtrodden peasants whose only desire was to be left alone to worship at their improvised altars. They had no idea about a far away Pope and when martyrized died singing about the afterlife not crying "Long live the Pope!" They posed no threat to the power of warlords.

If the movie implies otherwise then it's a betrayal of the book's letter and spirit.

I partly see the way Steve suggests, but a majority of readers and the original author don't see that way.
The story is about a 17th century Jesuit missionary's quest for truth in Japan, where Christianity was strictly prohibited.
He faces a dillemma-  unless he publicly renounces Christianity, his followers would be executed by the government.
J govt was so cruel that it won't execute him so he would be agonized with guilt for many years.
The original author intends to say that 1) Japanese lack ethics 2) because they are not Christians. I am fine with 1) but skeptical with 2).
Imo, the protagonist has a messianic illusion- he thinks he has a "kindness" to convert the people who believe in "wrong" religion to a right religion of a true God.
To me that's a gigantic arrogance and blindness grounded upon cultural centralism. But again, the author's intention is different.
Anyway it's a good movie/book with multilayered dilemmas. Still I am a little worried that some Christian (fundamentalist) viewers may see the movie in terms of simplistic good vs evil picture without observing nuances, depth, dilemmas, paradoxes, etc.

Disclosure: I am an atheist and the author is Christian. I admire this movie and the original book as well as other works written by him.

JBS

Unfortunately what you referred to as a "messianic illusion" is widely shared among Christians even now, and basic to the European outlook for over a thousand years.

I didn't realize the novelist was a Christian.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aligreto

See For Me:

A young blind woman earns her money by house sitting for clients. She has a backstory and her character is not based upon the highest of moral standards as far as honesty is concerned. On her latest job there is a break in. Initially she seeks help via a phone app which allows an operator to see through her phone camera. She forms a relationship with this operator. However, she subsequently engages with the intruders, negotiating a cut from their heist. What develops makes for interesting and entertaining viewing.

geralmar

Robert Blake plays a small town Arizona motorcycle cop who dreams of transfer to homicide.  He gets his wish but is quickly disillusioned.  Meandering, self-indulgent and empty "counter culture" film making very much "of its time" and now badly dated.  Luscious Conrad Hall cinematography constantly blocked by actors and plot.  Electra Glide was a Harley-Davidson motorcycle favored by the police.  "Blue" refers to the police.  Three decades later Blake was acquitted of murdering his wife, which casts an additional if unfair pall on the movie.

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 05, 2022, 03:46:00 PM
+1 - Hi VS - well, the 'companion' for us is Dave which will soon be another re-watch - those two presidential comedy-dramas just seem to be made for our tastes -  :laugh:  Dave

Hey Dave, they are both lots of fun. Your namesake movie is quite funny, but as I have mentioned sometime before, any pop-up role by Charles Grodin gets an A+ plus in my book. Although, there are a handful of great character-actors in there too. I remember the first time I saw it and Sir Ben Kingsley shows up out of nowhere; a great moment.

Have fun with them!  :)

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

TheGSMoeller

A few new films released this year...

After Yang: Written(adapted screenplay) and Directed by Kogonada
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8633464/

Crimes of the Future: Written and Directed by David Cronenberg
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14549466/

SimonNZ

One of the worst adapted screenplays, and at 2 hours far too short for any adaptation.

"(Terrible food!" "And such small portions!")

geralmar

Loose remake of The Most Dangerous Game (1932); but this time set in the Mexican jungle and the pursuers fugitive Nazis.  I liked all the principal actors, particularly Jane Greer, who was "a woman of a particular age" (32) when she made the movie.  Still lovely she was refreshingly not another squeaky clean early twenties ingenue.  The only negatives (small) is the annoying bandage Widmark wears on his forehead most of the movie-- it's even in the poster-- and (large-- and spoiler alert) Widmark's failure to pick up his antagonist's rifle after felling him.  He winds up having to use a spinning airplane propeller to eliminate the final villain.

Iota

Not quite sure what I thought of this overall. The only things that are certain are that I found it interesting but not that involving, Jason Clarke was (as ever) compelling, while everyone else seemed rather underpowered. The family legacy of Joe Kennedy Sr. comes across as a very ambivalent one.

SonicMan46

Quote from: geralmar on July 06, 2022, 09:20:22 PM

Loose remake of The Most Dangerous Game (1932); but this time set in the Mexican jungle and the pursuers fugitive Nazis.  I liked all the principal actors, particularly Jane Greer, who was "a woman of a particular age" (32) when she made the movie.  Still lovely she was refreshingly not another squeaky clean early twenties ingenue.  The only negatives (small) is the annoying bandage Widmark wears on his forehead most of the movie-- it's even in the poster-- and (large-- and spoiler alert) Widmark's failure to pick up his antagonist's rifle after felling him.  He winds up having to use a spinning airplane propeller to eliminate the final villain.

Well, I've never seen that Widmark film but love the alluring Jane Greer (1924-2001) - one of my favorites is the film noir from 1947 Out of the Past w/ Robert Mitchum and a host of other stars.  Dave :)

VonStupp

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christiansen, Natalie Portman
Ian McDiarmid, Jimmy Smits, Samuel L. Jackson

After two movies of trade talks (Phantom Menace) and unsettling romance (Attack of the Clones), the third follows up with a 25-minute opener of space battles and face offs, plus more later on. Just what the doctor ordered.

Ewan McGregor must have studied the speech pattern of Alec Guinness, for you can sense similarities, without mere aping.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on July 07, 2022, 07:26:42 AM
Ewan McGregor must have studied the speech pattern of Alec Guinness, for you can sense similarities, without mere aping.

VS

Good observation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: VonStupp on July 07, 2022, 07:26:42 AM

VS

I've seen an interview where he said that, and he had to do it again for the new show.  He just watched a ton of Alec Guinness until he had it down.

aligreto

Haunting At The Rectory:

This film operates between two different but intertwining storylines. It has a supernatural element that involves an old story and a carnal element which involves a parson, his wife and the gardener. It is worth a watch.

TheGSMoeller

Petite Maman - France, 2021
Written and Directed by Céline Sciamma

aligreto

Ad Astra:

This is an interesting space travel/science fiction film. If you like this genre I would recommend it if you have not seen it. I found that the twists here and there keep the storyline interesting. Pitt played an interesting and complicated character well, I thought.

Madiel

Quote from: aligreto on July 12, 2022, 02:49:45 AM
Ad Astra:

This is an interesting space travel/science fiction film. If you like this genre I would recommend it if you have not seen it. I found that the twists here and there keep the storyline interesting. Pitt played an interesting and complicated character well, I thought.

This is on my list of things to watch. I mean, it might take me several years to get around to it, but it's on the Apple wishlist to remind me.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Quote from: Madiel on July 12, 2022, 04:22:24 AM
This is on my list of things to watch. I mean, it might take me several years to get around to it, but it's on the Apple wishlist to remind me.

Hopefully it will be worth the protracted wait for a viewing.

71 dB

Don't bother. It is a movie about an astronaut with father-issues some random silly action scenes thrown in to keep the audience awake.  :-\
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

DavidW

I really liked it.  I do agree with Poju that the action scenes are contrived.  But if you can suspend your disbelief...