Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Revisited Mission: Impossible ('96)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

The Birdcage (1996) w/ the 'ensemble' cast below - a remake of La Cage aux Folles which I streamed a while back - Susan & I decided to go through my 'movie list' and pick out a dozen or so comedies of her choice - this was the first one she wanted to watch. If not seen, then highly recommended.  Dave :)
QuoteThe Birdcage is an American comedy film directed by Mike Nichols, adapted by Elaine May, and starring Robin Williams, Gene Hackman, Nathan Lane, and Dianne Wiest. Dan Futterman, Calista Flockhart, Hank Azaria, and Christine Baranski appear in supporting roles. It is an English-language remake of the 1978 Franco-Italian film La Cage aux Folles and the musical of the same name. (Source)

George

Quote from: aligreto on August 01, 2022, 02:39:06 AM
The Gray Man:

This was a very stylish thriller with a reasonable plot that was not too far fetched. There was plenty of action there too for those who want it.

Thought this was enjoyable, even if if it borrowed heavily from a number of other films/tv shows.   
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 01, 2022, 07:38:56 AM
The Birdcage (1996) w/ the 'ensemble' cast below - a remake of La Cage aux Folles which I streamed a while back - Susan & I decided to go through my 'movie list' and pick out a dozen or so comedies of her choice - this was the first one she wanted to watch. If not seen, then highly recommended.  Dave :)

Big fave by us, Dave! You're going to the cemetery with your toothbrush; how Egyptian.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 01, 2022, 07:14:19 AM
Revisited Mission: Impossible ('86) - 96?

Amazing Karl - Cruise is still making these films (chart below from Wiki) - I've seen all up to 2018 as Amazon rentals (not for the wife -  :laugh:). 

Now that I have a 4K HDTV, they are available on Amazon in UHD for rental ($4) or purchase ($10) - might just stream one or two of the early ones - believe that I've seen the first five films, own none.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 01, 2022, 08:45:21 AM
Amazing Karl - Cruise is still making these films (chart below from Wiki) - I've seen all up to 2018 as Amazon rentals (not for the wife -  :laugh: ). 

Now that I have a 4K HDTV, they are available on Amazon in UHD for rental ($4) or purchase ($10) - might just stream one or two of the early ones - believe that I've seen the first five films, own none.  Dave :)

Hi, Dave! '96, of course, yes.  I've seen all of them save Fallout. I suppose that one's just a matter of time. I do enjoy them all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 01, 2022, 08:55:46 AM
Hi, Dave! '96, of course, yes.  I've seen all of them save Fallout. I suppose that one's just a matter of time. I do enjoy them all.

Just looked at the trailer and not sure that I've seen that one (same Amazon prices as quoted before) - Susan will not watch it w/ me so will put on headphones (and turn up 'con blasto'!) - was it good?  Just looked - 7.7/10, IMDB & 97% Rotten Tomatoes, so worth a rental fee.  Dave :)

VonStupp

Karl & Dave,

My wife and I watched all six of the Mission:Impossible movies three years ago, and enjoyed them thoroughly. (The 2nd was our least favorite).

If you catch up on Fallout, make sure to refresh yourself with Rogue Nation, as there is some carry over. Not required, but adds some pleasure.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on August 01, 2022, 12:24:27 PM
Karl & Dave,

My wife and I watched all six of the Mission:Impossible movies three years ago, and enjoyed them thoroughly. (The 2nd was our least favorite).

If you catch up on Fallout, make sure to refresh yourself with Rogue Nation, as there is some carry over. Not required, but adds some pleasure.

VS

2 is certainly the runt of the litter. One appreciates the challenge of following up the first ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Burnt:

A two star Michelin chef self imploded and destroyed his own and others' lives. He went into self imposed exile to finally return with a plan to recreate his former glory on a more sustainable footing and to achieve the third star. He reencounters old friends and acquaintances along with new ones and finds that he has to modify his ego and domineering personality along the way. It is a stylish production and a worthwhile watch.

Todd

Quote from: George on August 01, 2022, 08:08:03 AM
Thought this was enjoyable, even if if it borrowed heavily from a number of other films/tv shows.

I found it awful and had to split it into multiple viewing sessions.  The terrible kinetic camerawork, the overblown CGI, dialogue that makes an old Arnold movie seems like Chaucer, and seeing Billy Bob Thornton and Alfre Woodard collect paychecks made viewing a chore.  The only good thing in the movie is Ana de Armas, and she is wasted.  This type of product is one reason Netflix is losing so many subscribers.  At least I know to avoid Russo brothers movies in the future.  (I've only seen the second Captain America flick from them, and it is hardly great cinema.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Well, last night continuing w/ comedy films that I own, wife choose the two below:

Notting Hill (1999) - w/ Julia Roberts & Hugh Grant, plus a great ensemble cast - I've always liked this film and the cast, especially Grant's flat mate - ratings good, 7.2/10, IMDB; 83% Rotten Tomatoes - Susan enjoyed (as did I for the 6+ time) - well, if you like the brief recap below and the main actors, and want to see just a fun film, then recommended. 

Miss Congeniality (2000) w/ the cast in the second quote below - NOW, I have a 'thing' for Sandra and the cast is just great!  The film is funny and we enjoyed - ratings mixed - 6.3/10, IMDB, and only 41% Rotten Tomatoes - HOW can that be w/ William Shatner, Candice Bergen and Michael Caine!  NOW, I did enjoy Bullock & Bratt more in the Demolition Man but wife will not watch that one w/ me -  :o  Recommendation up to you - I'll be watching again.  BTW, I have the Part 2 BD - pretty poor IIRC - Dave :)

QuoteNotting Hill is a romantic comedy film directed by Roger Michell. The screenplay was written by Richard Curtis, and the film was produced by Duncan Kenworthy. The film stars Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant, with Rhys Ifans, Emma Chambers, Tim McInnerny, Gina McKee, and Hugh Bonneville in supporting roles. The story is of a romance between a London bookseller (Grant) and a famous American actress (Roberts) who happens to walk into his shop. (Source)

QuoteMiss Congeniality is an American comedy film directed by Donald Petrie, written by Marc Lawrence, Katie Ford, and Caryn Lucas, and starring Sandra Bullock, Michael Caine, Benjamin Bratt and Candice Bergen with William Shatner and Ernie Hudson in supporting roles. In the film, the FBI asks tomboy agent Gracie to go undercover as a contestant when a terrorist threatens to bomb the Miss United States pageant. (Source)

Karl Henning

Last night: His Girl Friday. I don't often watch this, but boy does it lighten my heart!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Fëanor

Quote from: George on August 01, 2022, 08:08:03 AM
Quote from: aligreto on August 01, 2022, 02:39:06 AM
The Gray Man:

This was a very stylish thriller with a reasonable plot that was not too far fetched. There was plenty of action there too for those who want it.

It certainly did a lot of borrowing;  I'd say it was essentially just an a formulaic revenge flick.  If there was anything special, it was that it was made worse, IMHO, by the protagonist's willingness to callously torture the victims of his revenge.

71 dB

LUX ÆTERNA (Gaspar Noé, 2019) Nordic Blu-ray

A lesser work by this French provocateur and only 51 minutes long. Split screen makes following the chaos intense and difficult. I have to say the vision behind this movie remained unclear to me, Maybe rewatching the thing helps on that front. I can't recommend this unless you are a Gaspar Noé fan. There is a strong consensus that Irréversible, Enter The Void and Climax are his best works (and boy are they good!  0:) )
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Saboteur (1942) w/ Robert Cummings, Priscilla Lane, Otto Kruger, Norman Lloyd; Alfred Hitchcock, director - last night we needed a change of pace from the comedies, so I suggested an early Hitch espionage film.  I own the BD below (left) but just saw on Amazon that a 4K has been released - temping but at $20, the blu-ray version looks great - Hitchcock's cameo is described in the second quote - we missed him - drats!  Dave :)

QuoteLos Angeles aircraft worker Barry Kane evades arrest after he is unjustly accused of sabotage. Following leads, he travels across the country to New York City trying to clear his name by exposing a gang of fascist-supporting saboteurs led by apparently respectable Charles Tobin. Along the way, he involves Pat Martin, eventually preventing another major act of sabotage. They finally catch up with Frank Fry, the man who actually committed the act of sabotage at the aircraft factory. (Source)

QuoteHitchcock makes his trademark cameo appearance about an hour into the film (1:04:37), standing at a kiosk in front of Cut Rate Drugs in New York as the saboteurs' car pulls up. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 03, 2022, 08:26:26 AM
Saboteur (1942) w/ Robert Cummings, Priscilla Lane, Otto Kruger, Norman Lloyd; Alfred Hitchcock, director - last night we needed a change of pace from the comedies, so I suggested an early Hitch espionage film.  I own the BD below (left) but just saw on Amazon that a 4K has been released - temping but at $20, the blu-ray version looks great - Hitchcock's cameo is described in the second quote - we missed him - drats!  Dave :)

Saboteur is brilliant, Dave!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 03, 2022, 08:30:52 AM
Saboteur is brilliant, Dave!

+1 - Karl - won't do a spoiler but always enjoy the final scene!  Dave :)

aligreto

Hypnotic:

A woman suspects that she has come under the influence of her therapist in a way that makes her very uneasy. She eventually puts certain things together when she starts to research her therapist's background. Inevitably things start to go wrong. This one is a bit of a time waster I am afraid.

SonicMan46

Well, we're back to a comedy last night which we both love - film executives tried to get Vardalos to change the family ethnicity to Hispanic or Italian (see link for more):

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002) w/ Nia Vardalos, John Corbett, Lainie Kazan, Michael Constantine, and others; one Oscar nomination 'Best Original Screenplay' for Vardalos, who did not win.  Dave :)

QuoteMy Big Fat Greek Wedding is an independent romantic comedy film directed by Joel Zwick and written by Nia Vardalos, who also stars in the film as Fotoula "Toula" Portokalos, a middle class Greek American woman who falls in love with White Anglo-Saxon Protestant Ian Miller. The film received generally positive reviews from critics and, at the 75th Academy Awards, it was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay.