Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on August 08, 2022, 04:07:14 PM
Fun Dave! I do like that Bernadette Peters stage 'film' and it might be my preference.

As an aside, I was involved in a local production of Into the Woods recently, and Sondheim's music is quite tricky to pull off.

VS

Hi VS - well, that's Sondheim - the women seem to just love the guy (despite his proclivities?) - my wife is a singer from early on (was in choral groups at Brown U. & U. of Chicago - even did some lead singing back then) and just adores Stephen S. (I have to pretend and make up corny jokes which she ignores -  :laugh:) - Dave :)

vandermolen

On TV - very good, balanced and moving with a fine soundtrack (sadly not on CD  :()
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

On Netflix at the moment is Benediction;

which is the story of Siegfried Sassoon.  Rather well done and acted I thought although it does rather just descend into a series of witty barbs fired out by bright young things struggling with their memories and their lives.  Of course it was a remarkable time and there were many remarkable people in the society Sassoon moved in.  All of which made the characters slightly more tiresome than sympathetic but perhaps that is how they were - Ivor Novello as portrayed was clearly a prize s**t.  Of further interest to CM lovers as they use quite a lot of original music - ie the Tallis Fantasia covers the last minutes of the film and the credits.  Peter Capaldi as the old embittered Sassoon is pretty dreadful as he really struggles with the "cut-glass" accent and his acting feels self-concious and stiff as a consequence.  But overall it was well worth a watch.

milk

Quote from: milk on August 08, 2022, 04:55:52 AM
Wings of Hope
An awesome move. Literally. Doc by Werner Herzog.
The story of Juliane Koepcke who "as a teenager in 1971...survived the LANSA Flight 508 plane crash, after a fall of 3,000 m (9,843 ft), still strapped to her seat...then survived 11 days alone in the Amazon rainforest." - Wikipedia says.

Watch it on YouTube at the moment for free:
https://youtu.be/msipyM4vyLg
I don't think you guys heard me. Her airplane crashed and everyone in it died but she landed on the ground along with a row of seats. Then, she spent 11 days in the jungle alone finding her way out. At 17 years old. No, really.   ???

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 08, 2022, 11:06:31 PM

which is the story of Siegfried Sassoon.  Rather well done and acted I thought although it does rather just descend into a series of witty barbs fired out by bright young things struggling with their memories and their lives.  Of course it was a remarkable time and there were many remarkable people in the society Sassoon moved in.  All of which made the characters slightly more tiresome than sympathetic but perhaps that is how they were - Ivor Novello as portrayed was clearly a prize s**t.  Of further interest to CM lovers as they use quite a lot of original music - ie the Tallis Fantasia covers the last minutes of the film and the credits.  Peter Capaldi as the old embittered Sassoon is pretty dreadful as he really struggles with the "cut-glass" accent and his acting feels self-concious and stiff as a consequence.  But overall it was well worth a watch.
Thanks - I really want to see this film.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: milk on August 09, 2022, 12:15:43 AM
I don't think you guys heard me. Her airplane crashed and everyone in it died but she landed on the ground along with a row of seats. Then, she spent 11 days in the jungle alone finding her way out. At 17 years old. No, really.   ???
Wow!!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Holiday In The Wild

This is one of those "feel good" films where everyone lives happily ever after [no spoilers  ;D]. It is a light romantic film that serves to tolerably pass ninety minutes. It does have a good basic message though about elephants but it is couched in too much saccharine for me. There is a harsher reality out there.

milk

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 09, 2022, 01:28:53 AM
Wow!!

PD
That's more like it  ;D. Werner Herzog makes an appropriately glorious ode to survival, will, hope and nitty-gritty know-how on the local/nature level. Something I didn't know that everyone should in case their airplanes crash in jungles (you might thank me): a pool of water drains into a creek which drains into a stream which leads to a river. Follow the water. Don't wait for rescue. Don't worry about the alligators. Ignore them even if they dive into the water, they're not coming after you. But one thing you do to watch out for is sting rays. They'll mess you up.

Madiel

Quote from: milk on August 09, 2022, 12:15:43 AM
I don't think you guys heard me.

Demanding a reaction is poor internet etiquette. For one thing, I hadn't read the thread between your ta-dah! moment and your demand for a reaction. So no, I didn't hear you. What of it?

Plus you were posting about a movie, not about the actual event. Are we supposed to go "OMG Werner made a movie"? No. Apparently we're supposed to react to an event that happened over 50 years ago. Maybe some of us heard about it before and aren't going to be stunned by your revelation? Not least because the movie was made in 1998, and the existence of the movie might have crossed our consciousness in the 24 years before you announced its existence.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

milk

Quote from: Madiel on August 09, 2022, 05:17:31 AM
Demanding a reaction is poor internet etiquette. For one thing, I hadn't read the thread between your ta-dah! moment and your demand for a reaction. So no, I didn't hear you. What of it?

Plus you were posting about a movie, not about the actual event. Are we supposed to go "OMG Werner made a movie"? No. Apparently we're supposed to react to an event that happened over 50 years ago. Maybe some of us heard about it before and aren't going to be stunned by your revelation? Not least because the movie was made in 1998, and the existence of the movie might have crossed our consciousness in the 24 years before you announced its existence.

Maybe so but if you're ever on a plane that crashes into the Amazon jungle, you'll be thanking me.

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 08, 2022, 04:14:02 PM
Hi VS - well, that's Sondheim - the women seem to just love the guy (despite his proclivities?) - my wife is a singer from early on (was in choral groups at Brown U. & U. of Chicago - even did some lead singing back then) and just adores Stephen S. (I have to pretend and make up corny jokes which she ignores -  :laugh:) - Dave :)

Does she still sing? It sounds like it was a beloved pastime for her.

My jokes have been long ignored by my household as well. I am glad I am not the only one!  :laugh:

Good day, Dave! VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 08, 2022, 11:06:31 PM

There's got to be a great story to be told.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on August 09, 2022, 07:41:24 AM
Does she still sing? It sounds like it was a beloved pastime for her.

My jokes have been long ignored by my household as well. I am glad I am not the only one!  :laugh:

Good day, Dave! VS

Hi again VS - she use to play (piano) and sing a lot (w/ guitar - soprano voice kind of a blend of Judy Collins and Kathy Mattea when singing those types of songs back then) at our Unitarian Fellowship, and has multiple instruments - the Mason & Hamelin piano dates back to her childhood and was in their house; she has Irish harps, guitars, recorders, and some others; at the moment, she is on a Martin T1K Koa Ukulele (below; easier for her aging fingers than a guitar) and taking Zoom lessons from a NC School of the Arts Master Graduate (in string instruments).  She is still singing but her voice can be a little wobbly holding notes at times (i guess we just 'wear out', both in our 70s now).  BUT, she is enjoying the lessons and the uke.  :)  Dave

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 09, 2022, 09:10:22 AM
Hi again VS - she use to play (piano) and sing a lot (w/ guitar - soprano voice kind of a blend of Judy Collins and Kathy Mattea when singing those types of songs back then) at our Unitarian Fellowship, and has multiple instruments - the Mason & Hamelin piano dates back to her childhood and was in their house; she has Irish harps, guitars, recorders, and some others; at the moment, she is on a Martin T1K Koa Ukulele (below; easier for her aging fingers than a guitar) and taking Zoom lessons from a NC School of the Arts Master Graduate (in string instruments).  She is still singing but her voice can be a little wobbly holding notes at times (i guess we just 'wear out', both in our 70s now).  BUT, she is enjoying the lessons and the uke.  :)  Dave

I love when adults further musical interests; I always tell my children, if it is important to you, you will make time. I have never followed up on instruments I've wanted to play in the past, with time as an excuse. Someday, I guess...

It sounds as if she has an instrument collection going too! Neat!  :)

VS

milk

Maybe one of Allen's last sensical films. It has some verisimilitude as well. I think Allen has three or four sorts of films. This is the sort that I like; it's not about an idea but about a person with ideas and problems. Only a handful of his idea films ever worked out and that boat has long sailed I think. Will he ever make a real film about a person again? I doubt it. He has one more film in him, shooting in September (in French so I've heard). Anyway, I do recommend this one. It's foul-mouthed Allen.

aligreto

Pride and Prejudice:

I understand that this is a film adaptation of the novel but I have just recently come from reading a novel by each of the Bronte sisters. Both of those worlds are galaxies apart to coin an astronomical phrase. Although I am keen on Knightley as a serious actress this particular presentation was very "staged" by the director to "look good" in my opinion. There was not much else to it even given the subject matter.

SonicMan46

Last night, Susan asked to watch some old mystery/detective/police movies, even if B&W! - after the SHOCK -  ??? - I suggested some Bogart:

The Maltese Falcon (1941) w/ Bogart and Astor, plus the others below - been watching this film since my teen days - a classic!

Key Largo (1948) w/ Bogart, Robinson, and Bacall, plus more in the quote.  I'm sure the quotes are not needed for either of these classics from the '40s - MUST SEES!  Dave :)

QuoteThe Maltese Falconis an American film noir written and directed by John Huston in his directorial debut. It stars Humphrey Bogart as private investigator Sam Spade and Mary Astor as his femme fatale client. Gladys George, Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet co-star. The story follows a San Francisco private detective and his dealings with three unscrupulous adventurers, all of whom are competing to obtain a jewel-encrusted falcon statuette. (Source)

QuoteKey Largo is an American film noir crime drama directed by John Huston and starring Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson and Lauren Bacall. The supporting cast features Lionel Barrymore and Claire Trevor. Key Largo was the fourth and final film pairing of actors Bogart and Bacall, after To Have and Have Not (1944), The Big Sleep (1946), and Dark Passage (1947). Claire Trevor won the 1948 Best Supporting Actress Academy Award for her portrayal of alcoholic former nightclub singer Gaye Dawn. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 10, 2022, 09:25:57 AM
Last night, Susan asked to watch some old mystery/detective/police movies, even if B&W! - after the SHOCK -  ??? - I suggested some Bogart:

The Maltese Falcon (1941) w/ Bogart and Astor, plus the others below - been watching this film since my teen days - a classic!

Key Largo (1948) w/ Bogart, Robinson, and Bacall, plus more in the quote.  I'm sure the quotes are not needed for either of these classics from the '40s - MUST SEES!  Dave :)

Very nice, Dave!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

SW: The Force Awakens (2015)
Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, Mark Hamill

VS

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on August 11, 2022, 07:31:43 AM
SW: The Force Awakens (2015)
Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, Mark Hamill

VS

Hey VS - believe the Star Wars Franchise is at IX (as added above); there appears to be a X in pre-production (which would bring the saga duration to nearly 50 years - wow!) - see quote/link - for myself, I own the original trilogy (IV-VI) on BD, and earlier this year streamed the same ones as 4Ks on Disney+ (really looked great!) - now, I've streamed all of the remainder but have purchased none (assume I could stream on Disney) - but if memory recalls, I must say that the The Force Awakens is a favorite in that non-original bunch.  :)  Dave

QuoteStar Wars: Episode X The Unknown Regions is the working title of the upcoming tenth film in the Star Wars saga and the first in the Star Wars eternal trilogy. (Source)