Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Yet another upgrade for me from physical BD > UHD Amazon streamer (always a storage space issue for me - like being less cluttered -  :laugh:):

Coming to America (1988) - beginning Wiki article below with cast - Eddie Murphy & Arsenio Hall each play 4 characters in the film; the barber scenes are hilarious w/ Murphy as Clarence (owner of the shop) and Saul (Jewish customer) - see second pic below and more HERE - I own the Murphy films 48 Hours & Beverly Hills Cops 1, but this one is a contrast - highly recommended for Eddie fans.  Dave :)
QuoteComing to America is an American romantic comedy film directed by John Landis and based on a story originally created by Eddie Murphy, who also stars in the lead role. The film co-stars Arsenio Hall, James Earl Jones, Shari Headley, and John Amos. The film was released in the United States on June 29, 1988. Eddie Murphy plays Akeem Joffer, the crown prince of the fictional African nation of Zamunda, who travels to the United States in the hopes of finding a woman he can marry and love for who she is, not for her status or for having been trained to please him. (Source)

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 05, 2022, 07:03:01 AM
Oh, I need to watch that 'un. Love Elmer Bernstein's score for To Kill a Mockingbird.

The Great Escape is fun, well-paced and feature's a ton of memorable characters. And if you're a young boy in a military family in the 1960's, it's a nearly guaranteed ticket to an extra hour of TV before bed.  :laugh:

To Kill a Mockingbird is now sixty years old, and retains every aspect of its thematic significance and expressive eloquence. Mr. Peck delivered a performance for the ages, and yet the film also manages to tell Jim and Scout's stories, along with the greatest courtroom exposition in cinematic history.

What a movie.

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 05, 2022, 07:25:23 AM
You know, I've only ever caught snippets of TKAM.   :-[  Need to rectify that.

I remember growing up that they used to show Escape in two parts because it was so long!  Not as long as Reds but close!  You might either want to break it into two nights are set aside a nice rainy Sunday to watch it.  :)

PD

p.s.  If you've ever watched Chicken Run, you've heard the theme.  :D ;)

Curious to say, indeed I have 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 05, 2022, 07:04:09 AM

Interesting.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 05, 2022, 07:16:31 AM
Hi Fergus - believe I saw this film on release but cannot remember much - attractive co-stars who I've enjoyed in many films - reviews were mixed but I love these historic fiction films (National Treasure 1 & 2 w/ Nicholas Cage are favs) - Dave :)

Worth a [re]watch guys  ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 05, 2022, 08:26:27 AM
Curious to say, indeed I have 8)
;D  For your general enlightenment--and amusement:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0APbD8UTTU

Was quickly trying to find one showing it being used in Chicken Run, but I failed.  Back to the cooler for me!

PD
Quote from: LKB on October 05, 2022, 07:57:33 AM
The Great Escape is fun, well-paced and feature's a ton of memorable characters. And if you're a young boy in a military family in the 1960's, it's a nearly guaranteed ticket to an extra hour of TV before bed.  :laugh:

To Kill a Mockingbird is now sixty years old, and retains every aspect of its thematic significance and expressive eloquence. Mr. Peck delivered a performance for the ages, and yet the film also manages to tell Jim and Scout's stories, along with the greatest courtroom exposition in cinematic history.

What a movie.

I know that that Mockingbird movie is a classic...a hole in my viewing history/education to fill!  :-[

After watching the GE, I became fascinated in wanting to learn more about the real story and read Paul Brickhill's book (ages ago).  It's surprisingly a slim hardback but I remember that I found it to be fascinating reading.

PD

p.s.  I also remembering reading that the theme to the the Magnificent Seven was also used in Chicken Run; however, I don't know that movie.
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

The Kid Detective (2020)
Adam Brody, Sophie Nélisse

A nice, low-rent whodunit. Reminded me of Brick (2005) with JGL.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 05, 2022, 07:28:55 AM
Yet another upgrade for me from physical BD > UHD Amazon streamer (always a storage space issue for me - like being less cluttered -  :laugh:):

Coming to America (1988) - beginning Wiki article below with cast - Eddie Murphy & Arsenio Hall each play 4 characters in the film; the barber scenes are hilarious w/ Murphy as Clarence (owner of the shop) and Saul (Jewish customer) - see second pic below and more HERE - I own the Murphy films 48 Hours & Beverly Hills Cops 1, but this one is a contrast - highly recommended for Eddie fans.  Dave :)

Not particularly an Eddie fan Dave, but this is my favorite out-and-out comedy from him in that era. I could quote it endlessly still today.

Caught the 2021 sequel - it was worse than Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles (2001) and Caddyshack II (1988).

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

George

Superb performances by Hardy on this one.

Is this considered to be the best film about the Krays?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on October 05, 2022, 03:34:43 PM
Not particularly an Eddie fan Dave, but this is my favorite out-and-out comedy from him in that era. I could quote it endlessly still today.

Caught the 2021 sequel - it was worse than Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles (2001) and Caddyshack II (1988).

VS

Hi VS - well, I just have 3 Eddie movies as mentioned so selective - as you, really enjoy the humor in Coming to America - I read the plot on the 2021 sequel and was unimpressed - your comments above have convinced me not to stream the film (Croc in LA was terrible!).  Thanks - Dave :)

Daverz

Quote from: George on October 05, 2022, 03:53:49 PM

Superb performances by Hardy on this one.

Is this considered to be the best film about the Krays?

Certainly Monty Python had the last word on the Krays.

More gangsters

Light and enjoyable film.

Karl Henning

Another "at last" viewing: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Great stuff, though not light entertainment. The gritty sort of drama I typically associate with Tennessee Williams. Close to the bone.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Viva Zapata! (1952) - short synopsis below with cast; Brando in dark makeup - upgrade from a poor DVD-R > Amazon HD streamer - reviews mixed but probably my favorite of his 'conversions' to usually historic characters (e.g. Napoleon, Mark Antony, Japanese host, etc.) - but how does this one rate in his filmography (list attached - *s are the ones I currently own although I've seen most of the others, especially the early ones). There are many lists of Brando film rankings - this ONE puts Zapata at No. 8 of 20 - On the Waterfront has always been my favorite - Brando was nominated for Best Actor Oscar but lost to Gary Cooper in High Noon; Anthony Quinn won his first of two Supporting Actor Oscars (next was Lust for Life as Paul Gauguin) - Dave :)

QuoteViva Zapata! is a 1952 American Western film directed by Elia Kazan and starring Marlon Brando. The screenplay by John Steinbeck, using Edgcomb Pinchon's 1941 book Zapata the Unconquerable. The cast includes Jean Peters and, in an Academy Award-winning performance, Anthony Quinn. The film is a fictionalized account of the life of Mexican revolutionary Emiliano Zapata from his peasant upbringing through his rise to power in the early 1900s and his death in 1919. To make the film as authentic as possible, Kazan and producer Darryl F. Zanuck studied the numerous photographs that were taken during the revolutionary years, the period between 1909 and 1919 when Zapata led the fight to restore land taken from common people during the dictatorship of Porfirio Díaz. (Source)

aligreto

Revenge:

This one is unreservedly the best Costner film that I have watched. I continue to return to it.

Karl Henning

And another "high time I watched this" title: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

I finally saw Top Gun Maverick and loved it!  Very entertaining and Tom Cruise is freaking ageless....and fearless since all this was practical (real) effects.

Ganondorf

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 07, 2022, 04:44:24 AM
And another "high time I watched this" title: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

That movie Is written very cleverly. One of the best 60s movies I've ever seen.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ganondorf on October 07, 2022, 05:26:19 AM
That movie Is written very cleverly. One of the best 60s movies I've ever seen.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on October 07, 2022, 03:24:37 AM
Revenge:

This one is unreservedly the best Costner film that I have watched. I continue to return to it.

I've seen most of Costner's films (list HERE), but own just the handful below, including Revenge - dates are interesting, i.e. most made in the late '80s/early '90s except Hidden Figures - the ones that I have watched the most over the years are Untouchables, Bull Durham, Dances with Wolves, and Robin Hood.  Dave :)

QuoteUntouchables (1987)
Bull Durham (1988)
Revenge (1990)
Dances with Wolves (1990)
Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves (1991)
Wyatt Earp (1994)
Hidden Figures (2016)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 07, 2022, 07:05:12 AM
I've seen most of Costner's films (list HERE), but own just the handful below, including Revenge - dates are interesting, i.e. most made in the late '80s/early '90s except Hidden Figures - the ones that I have watched the most over the years are Untouchables, Bull Durham, Dances with Wolves, and Robin Hood.  Dave :)

Along with Revenge I also greatly admire Dances With Wolves, Dave. I would also occasionally watch Waterworld every few years or so but I have probably watched that one too often at this stage.  ;D

Karl Henning

Dances With Wolves is wonderful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA