Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Poltergeist (1982) w/ cast below - own on BD and have not seen since that purchase a while back - HBOMax had the film available in 4K so watched last night - still packs quite a 'horror punch' - Dave  >:D

QuotePoltergeist is a 1982 American supernatural horror film directed by Tobe Hooper and written by Steven Spielberg, Michael Grais and Mark Victor from a story by Spielberg. It stars JoBeth Williams, Craig T. Nelson and Beatrice Straight, and was produced by Spielberg and Frank Marshall. The film focuses on a suburban family whose home is invaded by malevolent ghosts that abduct their youngest daughter. (Source)

relm1

Just saw this Live to Picture - Fantastic score!!!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Top Gun Maverick

Less impressed by this than many seem to have been. And the callbacks to the first film felt endless and unnecessary, like they had a four page checklist of references they were determined to get through.

LKB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 05, 2022, 08:29:43 AM
Poltergeist (1982) w/ cast below - own on BD and have not seen since that purchase a while back - HBOMax had the film available in 4K so watched last night - still packs quite a 'horror punch' - Dave  >:D

Poltergeist is awesome.

One of my favorite reactors viewed it not long ago:

https://youtu.be/d0TRpBIwwZ4
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

I never saw Poltergeist.

TD: just a feel-good re-watch

Earth Girls Are Easy with Jeff Goldblum & Geena Davis
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: LKB on November 05, 2022, 09:47:36 PM
Poltergeist is awesome.

One of my favorite reactors viewed it not long ago:

https://youtu.be/d0TRpBIwwZ4

+1 - fun review!  Dave :)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 06, 2022, 03:52:18 AM
I never saw Poltergeist.

TD: just a feel-good re-watch

Earth Girls Are Easy with Jeff Goldblum & Geena Davis

Jim Carey's break-through film too as I recall as Goldblum's alien sidekick.  I remember liking it a lot!

VonStupp

Goosebumps (2015)
Jack Black

One for my daughter on Halloween. If you have seen 1987's Monster Squad or the 90's Jumanji, you will know what is in store.

I enjoyed many familiar nods, including one from Evil Dead 2 (1987), but with lawn gnomes.

Still, I would probably rather be watching these others I have mentioned instead, but I haven't read a book by R.L. Stine to possibly appreciate its source.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Several more upgrades recently:  Holiday Inn, BD > 4K UHD & Arsenic & Old Lace, DVD > BD (Criterion):

Holiday Inn (1942) - short summary below w/ cast; mainly a 'song & dance' fest for Crosby and Astaire doing Irving Berlin songs, most famous for introduction of White Christmas (Bing's rendition being the biggest selling single of all time - Source). Of course, the film is tainted by the racial controversy over the blackface scene (second pic below) - a rather vitriolic recent review HERE bombing the entire film - well, I still enjoy largely for the reasons stated in the first sentence above - great to see Bing and Fred in glorious video and sound.  Recommended for fans of musicals from Hollywood's glorious years, otherwise you might want to read the links first -  :laugh:

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) - see second quote for short synopsis and actors, an ensemble cast - listed #30 in AFI's 100 Best Comedies (LINK) - recommended without reservations this time - also great effort by Criterion's restoration of the film.  Dave :)

QuoteHoliday Inn is an American musical film starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire, with Marjorie Reynolds, Virginia Dale, and Walter Abel. It was directed by Mark Sandrich with music by Irving Berlin. The composer wrote twelve songs specifically for the film, the best known being "White Christmas". The film features a complete reuse of the song "Easter Parade", written by Berlin for the 1933 Broadway revue As Thousands Cheer and used as a highlight of the 1948 film, Easter Parade starring Astaire and Judy Garland. The film's choreography was by Danny Dare. The film received a 1943 Academy Award for Best Original Song (Berlin's "White Christmas"), as well as Academy Award nominations for Best Score and Best Original Story (Irving Berlin). (Source)

QuoteArsenic and Old Lace is an American black comedy film directed by Frank Capra and starring Cary Grant. It was based on Joseph Kesselring's 1941 play. The script adaptation was written by Julius and Philip Epstein. The play was a huge hit, running for three and a half years, so the film was not released until 1944. Capra had approached Bob Hope, Jack Benny et al before learning that Grant would accept the role. On Broadway, Boris Karloff played Jonathan Brewster replaced by Raymond Massey. The film's supporting cast also features Priscilla Lane, Jack Carson, Edward Everett Horton, and Peter Lorre. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 06, 2022, 04:45:21 AM
Jim Carey's break-through film too as I recall as Goldblum's alien sidekick.  I remember liking it a lot!

Great fun!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Brian

Quote from: Todd on November 05, 2022, 07:23:57 AM
Not PTA's best work – that remains The Master, one of the greatest movies ever made – but compelling start to finish in a lighthearted way, and with a great final scene.
Agreed with almost all of this (especially about The Master) but two notes about the ending.

1. I did think the last 30 seconds or so were too cheesy/sentimental and removed some of the ambiguity that made their relationship fun. The last line of voiceover was cringe for me.

2. In the final scene in the arcade at the end, did you notice a couple of arcade patrons just...having sex...in the middle of the scene? I think they were on the right-hand side as Gary walks through a crowd. But IMDB does not list it in the parental advisory, my friends didn't notice when we watched in theater, and nobody online seems to be talking about it. But I thought I saw, like, Boogie Nights-style out-and-out sex-having. Did I hallucinate??

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 07, 2022, 09:06:58 AM
Rommel. 

Hi DBK - I've not seen Rommel, but years ago watched The Desert Fox (1951) w/ James Mason - have you seen the later and any comparative thoughts?  Dave :)

SonicMan46

The Farmer's Daughter (1947) - synopsis w/ cast below - a favorite comedy from the era; also starring the young Lex Barker and James Arness as two of the brothers - as stated, Young won the Best Actress Oscar for her performance.  Highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteThe Farmer's Daughter is an American comedy film that tells the story of a farmgirl who ends up working as a maid for a Congressman and his politically powerful mother. It stars Loretta Young, Joseph Cotten, Ethel Barrymore, and Charles Bickford, and was adapted by Allen Rivkin and Laura Kerr from the 1937 Finnish play Juurakon Hulda by Hella Wuolijoki. It was directed by H.C. Potter. The film won the Academy Award for Best Actress for Loretta Young and was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Charles Bickford. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 06, 2022, 10:52:21 AM
Several more upgrades recently:  Holiday Inn, BD > 4K UHD & Arsenic & Old Lace, DVD > BD (Criterion):

Holiday Inn (1942) - short summary below w/ cast; mainly a 'song & dance' fest for Crosby and Astaire doing Irving Berlin songs, most famous for introduction of White Christmas (Bing's rendition being the biggest selling single of all time - Source). Of course, the film is tainted by the racial controversy over the blackface scene (second pic below) - a rather vitriolic recent review HERE bombing the entire film - well, I still enjoy largely for the reasons stated in the first sentence above - great to see Bing and Fred in glorious video and sound.  Recommended for fans of musicals from Hollywood's glorious years, otherwise you might want to read the links first -  :laugh:

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) - see second quote for short synopsis and actors, an ensemble cast - listed #30 in AFI's 100 Best Comedies (LINK) - recommended without reservations this time - also great effort by Criterion's restoration of the film.  Dave :)

Thanks for the tip, Dave, that Criterion has adopted Arsenic and Old Lace!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 07, 2022, 10:05:44 AM
Hi DBK - I've not seen Rommel, but years ago watched The Desert Fox (1951) w/ James Mason - have you seen the later and any comparative thoughts?  Dave :)

I like both the movies. The recent color movie is on his dilemma bet administration and politics. It's not an exciting macho movie, but very likable and realistic movie.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 07, 2022, 10:22:19 AM
The Farmer's Daughter (1947) - synopsis w/ cast below - a favorite comedy from the era; also starring the young Lex Barker and James Arness as two of the brothers - as stated, Young won the Best Actress Oscar for her performance.  Highly recommended.  Dave :)

Looks very interesting.  Will get a copy!

VonStupp

I really like the tune and harmonies to 'Abraham' which accompanies this infamous scene; too bad it will never see the light of day due to its association.

Incidentally, I saw a stage performance of Holiday Inn. At the time, I didn't even know that a stage adaptation existed, but the music included is more a revue of Irving Berlin songs than strictly adhering to the source.

Most surprising was a large group of high school students who were absolutely captivated by the production. A big score for Irving Berlin and an 80-year old movie!

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Madiel

I should see Arsenic and Old Lace. I saw a local production of the play earlier this year... and frankly it was very badly done.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Re-watched both Hudson Hawk and The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA