Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 25, 2022, 11:56:21 AMThey had to loop Gert Fröbe in Goldfinger, I understand. Same here?

I had heard that too. I am going to assume so, especially since he sings at some point. Apparently he must have been good at dubbing, for I think I have seen him in a number of English-language films now.

Goldfinger, Those Fabulous Men in their Flying Machines, Chitty Chitty, And Then There Were None, come to mind.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 25, 2022, 11:59:54 AMThat was a peculiar urban legend, that was ... I remember hearing of that, but what was supposed to happen when the movie outruns the album? What was your experience?

It was so long ago...If I remember correctly (this was tried from LP and VHS), you time it from the MGM lion and it plays until Munchkinland or so.

Picked this off the internet.  https://www.everwonder.com/david/wizardofoz/

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on November 25, 2022, 12:06:05 PMIt was so long ago...If I remember correctly (this was tried from LP and VHS), you time it from the MGM lion and it plays until Munchkinland or so.

Picked this off the internet.  https://www.everwonder.com/david/wizardofoz/

Appreciate it! Some damned peculiar serendipity there!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: VonStupp on November 25, 2022, 11:52:55 AMChitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
Dick Van Dyke, Benny Hill
Gert Fröbe, Desmond Llewelyn

Another for my girls following The Wizard of Oz, because my wife had fond memories of this movie. I had never seen it before, though.

Surprised to see Ian Fleming (source novel), Roald Dahl (screeplay), and Albert Broccoli (producer) attached, but snickered when I saw Q and Goldfinger from the Bond films.

A few too many songs, and at 2 1/2 hours, tested my patience. Bright and cheery, however.

VS

I last saw it as a kid; I also remember reading the original novel afterwards.
I do remember feeling it went on forever, as the saying is.
Supposedly, it was filmed to provide Van Dyke with a Mary Poppins type vehicle in which he was the star, and not, say, Julie Andrews.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

I loved opening with a parody of the train station/baby carriage scene from The Untouchables. And when Drebin is in the Joint, I benefited from having seen The Great Escape. I think the third movie is the best of the lot, which is the right arc.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Excellently made recreation of this dispiriting chapter in The Troubles, seamlessly incorporating actual newscrew coverage of the violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Cross_dispute

from that wikipedia page:

"Brendan Bradley, head of the Survivors of Trauma group (which deals with victims of Troubles-related violence), said that the trauma experienced by the children was "almost without parallel" in the history of the Troubles:

It wasn't as though this abuse lasted for a couple of days or was a one-off; it went on for months. Many needed counselling, some long-term counselling, in the wake of it all. Parents told how their daughters had changed from being fun-loving to being very withdrawn.[1]

Fr Aidan Troy said that some of the schoolgirls had been "put on heavy tranquillizers such as diazepam ... because of the trauma they were experiencing". Parents spoke of how their children had been wetting the bed and had started to throw tantrums and become withdrawn. When Holy Cross teachers asked girls in Primary 6 (aged 9–10) to draw a picture many had drawn mothers and fathers crying, surrounded by people with angry faces."

VonStupp

Quote from: JBS on November 25, 2022, 04:36:44 PMI last saw it as a kid; I also remember reading the original novel afterwards.
I do remember feeling it went on forever, as the saying is.
Supposedly, it was filmed to provide Van Dyke with a Mary Poppins type vehicle in which he was the star, and not, say, Julie Andrews.
I could see this being another opportunity for Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews to come together. It has been a long while, but my guess is Mary Poppins is the stronger film, but also quite lengthy itself.

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 25, 2022, 04:42:17 PMNaked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

I loved opening with a parody of the train station/baby carriage scene from The Untouchables. And when Drebin is in the Joint, I benefited from having seen The Great Escape. I think the third movie is the best of the lot, which is the right arc.
Silly fun! If there was a celebrity Leslie Nielsen could replace, it must be Phil Donahue...
VS

VonStupp

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)
Angela Lansbury, David Tomlinson, Roddy McDowall

Another Sherman Brothers musical for my children. The late Angela Lansbury is so easy to love.

I saw a lot of scenes I didn't remember. Turns out there is a sub 120-minute version and a nearly 2hr 30min version. I caught the latter apparently.

VS

greg

Made a 4x4 of my favorite movies so far. Saw that I made a 3x3 a year ago, but this time gave it a little more thought.

https://preview.redd.it/bkdsibd7ne2a1.png?width=721&format=png&auto=webp&s=7862ea7434b291a53d22449db091f1af5c4703f7
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on November 26, 2022, 01:28:01 PMBedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)
Angela Lansbury, David Tomlinson, Roddy McDowell

Another Sherman Brothers musical for my children. The late Angela Lansbury is so easy to love.

I saw a lot of scenes I didn't remember. Turns out there is a sub 120-minute version and a nearly 2hr 30min version. I caught the latter apparently.

VS

I've never seen this, but it's a great favorite among my sisters. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: greg on November 26, 2022, 05:26:57 PMMade a 4x4 of my favorite movies so far. Saw that I made a 3x3 a year ago, but this time gave it a little more thought.

"If you are looking for an image, it was probably deleted."
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

VonStupp

Quote from: VonStupp on November 26, 2022, 01:28:01 PMBedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)
Angela Lansbury, David Tomlinson, Roddy McDowall

Quote from: VonStupp on November 25, 2022, 11:52:55 AMChitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
Dick Van Dyke, Benny Hill, Gert Fröbe, Desmond Llewelyn

Waiting until later for Mary Poppins. But of the many Sherman brothers songs from these two, who tend to be perky and treacly, it was their minor-keyed tunes that caught my attention.
VS

greg

Quote from: Madiel on November 26, 2022, 10:55:53 PM"If you are looking for an image, it was probably deleted."
Weird, it was still displaying for me when loading this page. But when I copied the URL and went to that link, I also got that error.

Got the new URL, does it display now?
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 19, 2022, 01:40:00 PMSorry, I know that you didn't ask me, but may I say that I really enjoyed the first one.

PD
Turns out, too that it is one of my youngest brother-in-law's very favorite movies.
As for me, I enjoyed it fine, it's an awfully impressive achievement. Not a question I need to settle tonight, but I'm not sure I need to go on that ride again. I also find myself a shade leery of the industry's need to build a franchise out of it. From my perspective, the theme being "Ya know, guy, you just shouldn't have; look at everything that went wrong," in short, there shouldn't be a sequel to a movie whose curtain line is, "After careful consideration, I have decided not to endorse your park." But the industry is what it is."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 27, 2022, 04:13:52 PMTurns out, too that it is one of my youngest brother-in-law's very favorite movies.
As for me, I enjoyed it fine, it's an awfully impressive achievement. Not a question I need to settle tonight, but I'm not sure I need to go on that ride again. I also find myself a shade leery of the industry's need to build a franchise out of it. From my perspective, the theme being "Ya know, guy, you just shouldn't have; look at everything that went wrong," in short, there shouldn't be a sequel to a movie whose curtain line is, "After careful consideration, I have decided not to endorse your park." But the industry is what it is."
I did watch the Return to J.P. suite of featurettes, which opened with Spielberg saying he wasn't making a horror movie. Yet it more or less felt like that. I get that the "reveal" of the brachiosaur is majestic and beautiful, and that when they've fled to the treetop, they hear the brachiosaurs singing, but ... the kids in the kitchen, e.g.
Overall, though, the featurettes did a great job of illustrating the puppeteering tour-de-force of the endeavor. Also fun to learn that Goldblum's heroic turn in distracting the Tyrannosaur was the actor's idea.
I re-watched High Noon as a chaser.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 27, 2022, 04:13:52 PMTurns out, too that it is one of my youngest brother-in-law's very favorite movies.
I understand what you mean.  ;D

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 27, 2022, 07:55:51 PMI did watch the Return to J.P. suite of featurettes, which opened with Spielberg saying he wasn't making a horror movie. Yet it more or less felt like that. I get that the "reveal" of the brachiosaur is majestic and beautiful, and that when they've fled to the treetop, they hear the brachiosaurs singing, but ... the kids in the kitchen, e.g.
Overall, though, the featurettes did a great job of illustrating the puppeteering tour-de-force of the endeavor. Also fun to learn that Goldblum's heroic turn in distracting the Tyrannosaur was the actor's idea.
I re-watched High Noon as a chaser.
Thanks for sharing a bit about the extras.  And well done Mr. Goldblum!  By the way, did you know that he loves jazz and put out an album?  And, of yeah, it hit number one on the Billboard's Jazz Album chart too.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 28, 2022, 02:01:54 AMI understand what you mean.  ;D
Thanks for sharing a bit about the extras.  And well done Mr. Goldblum!  By the way, did you know that he loves jazz and put out an album?  And, of yeah, it hit number one on the Billboard's Jazz Album chart too.  :)

PD
I either knew or suspected, PD, since it looked to me like he really was at the piano in both Earth Girls Are Easy "You rest your thumbs, I'll drive." and The Fly.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA