Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Another upgrade from an old DVD-R > HD Amazon streamer:

Misty (1961) - definitely a family movie which was filmed on Chincoteague and Assateague Islands (National Park Service) on the eastern shore of Virginia - story below w/ cast (David Ladd son of Alan). Many of the townspeople were characters in the film.  Average reviews but the beauty of the area and the history of the horses is undeniable. Pics below of the location, plus just several from a trip we took there in May 2012 when the mares were foaling - those babies are just a week or so old.  Dave :)

QuoteMisty is a 1961 American CinemaScope children's film based on Marguerite Henry's 1947 award-winning children's book Misty of Chincoteague, a story of the special bond that develops between two young orphan children and a centuries-old herd of wild ponies living on an island off the coast of Virginia and a real-life Chincoteague Pony named Misty. Every year the Chincoteague fire department rounds up the wild ponies of Assateague Island and holds an auction to thin out the herd. The young children set out to raise enough money in hopes that the Phantom will be caught in this years round up. They soon realize they will get more than they bargained for when the Phantom has a surprise for everyone: a foal named Misty. (Source)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 04, 2022, 10:24:40 AMAnother upgrade from an old DVD-R > HD Amazon streamer:

Misty (1961) - definitely a family movie which was filmed on Chincoteague and Assateague Islands (National Park Service) on the eastern shore of Virginia - story below w/ cast (David Ladd son of Alan). Many of the townspeople were characters in the film.  Average reviews but the beauty of the area and the history of the horses is undeniable. Pics below of the location, plus just several from a trip we took there in May 2012 when the mares were foaling - those babies are just a week or so old.  Dave :)

I haven't seen that movie, but I loved the book and found it (as a young girl) fascinating to read about the wild horses [haven't read it since then nor checked into the current policies].  Hope that the horses are still doing well?  Neat that you were able to see them.  How close were you able to safely get and what is that fencing (I believe) for?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 04, 2022, 11:34:10 AMI haven't seen that movie, but I loved the book and found it (as a young girl) fascinating to read about the wild horses [haven't read it since then nor checked into the current policies].  Hope that the horses are still doing well?  Neat that you were able to see them.  How close were you able to safely get and what is that fencing (I believe) for?

PD

Hi PD - according to this LINK, there are just over 300 wild ponies on the island, about half on the Virginia side and the other in Maryland (apparently an 'interstate' fence is present) - the annual 'Pony Swim' is done to keep the population under control - the foals our kept for auction and the older horses allowed to swim back to Assateague Island.

The pics that I showed previously were from a van tour we did on the National Seashore, so had to follow the roads and were a distance from the animals; however, we also took a boat ride in the channel and approached the Assateague beach for me to shoot the pic below - the week old baby was taking a snooze.  Another fun part of that trip coming up from North Carolina was crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge–Tunnel, a nearly 18 mile combo of bridges and tunnels, the latter allowing large cargo ships to pass over.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

The pony flopped out is precious.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Disney was persuaded by the filmmakers to allow for the inclusion of profanity
(not surprising, I guess, that there needed to be persuasion ....)

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 04, 2022, 12:54:20 PMHi PD - according to this LINK, there are just over 300 wild ponies on the island, about half on the Virginia side and the other in Maryland (apparently an 'interstate' fence is present) - the annual 'Pony Swim' is done to keep the population under control - the foals our kept for auction and the older horses allowed to swim back to Assateague Island.

The pics that I showed previously were from a van tour we did on the National Seashore, so had to follow the roads and were a distance from the animals; however, we also took a boat ride in the channel and approached the Assateague beach for me to shoot the pic below - the week old baby was taking a snooze.  Another fun part of that trip coming up from North Carolina was crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge–Tunnel, a nearly 18 mile combo of bridges and tunnels, the latter allowing large cargo ships to pass over.  Dave :)

Sounds like quite the interesting trip!  :) Thanks for the extra info too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 04, 2022, 08:00:12 PMDisney was persuaded by the filmmakers to allow for the inclusion of profanity
(not surprising, I guess, that there needed to be persuasion ....)

Also from Wikipedia: detractors criticised the relatively long runtime
If it's a matter of going to the movie house, perhaps, but for me personally, from the comfort of one's home and at one's own pace, I love being "a fly on the Beatles' wall" for that length of time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 05, 2022, 04:43:04 AMAlso from Wikipedia: detractors criticised the relatively long runtime
If it's a matter of going to the movie house, perhaps, but for me personally, from the comfort of one's home and at one's own pace, I love being "a fly on the Beatles' wall" for that length of time.

Coincidentally, Fly On The Wall was the name given to the bonus CD released with Let It Be Naked:

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on December 05, 2022, 04:55:39 AMCoincidentally, Fly On The Wall was the name given to the bonus CD released with Let It Be Naked:

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 05, 2022, 04:43:04 AMAlso from Wikipedia: detractors criticised the relatively long runtime

I agreed and enjoyed it.  I didn't grow up with the Beatles or rock for that matter and was born after the Beatles were already history.  But I really enjoyed the experience of being in the swinging 60's and watching these very talented artists craft their sound and navigate various problems.  I was also very struck by how much older they looked.  For example, I think during this film they were all between mid 20's and late 20's but I would say looked easily a decade older.  I guess the candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long...well except for Paul and Ringo who actually look great now in their 80's.  One of my favorite things was how they navigated all the mundane topics like women, girlfriends, business, managers, etc., while being super famous icons.  I loved their various jam sessions and how they loved just jamming to blues and R&B showing what a personal influence it was on the band.  It was really nice to see how they totally and immediately embraced Billy Preston when he stopped by.  I thought that showed they respected other artists.  I was glad to see no diva qualities from anyone.  They really seemed like close friends and brothers who were just drifting apart.  It is of course very sad that just a few short years later, John would be murdered and hard not to think of that loss in every frame he was in. 

milk

This was a lot of fun and these days I just don't have strong powers of concentration after the kids go to bed. This is about the Beatles fan club secretary who held the job the whole way through. She was respected by and knew everyone and she never became rich and famous. Nice film for a low-key weeknight.

Karl Henning

Part III: the rooftop concert
Well, I found the entire "docuseries" gratifying.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Zardoz, at last. As our @Cato would agree, a mighty peculiar film. I'm trending towards more interesting than good, not great (maybe?) I have to return the DVD to the Library Thursday, so I'll listen to director Jn Boorman's commentary tomorrow.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

For (believe it or not) the first time:
Groundhog Day. You know, I came into it with something of a chip on my shoulder, but it really won me over. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roasted Swan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 06, 2022, 07:40:44 PMFor (believe it or not) the first time:
Groundhog Day. You know, I came into it with something of a chip on my shoulder, but it really won me over.

will you watch it again tomorrow....... and the day after ....... and........

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 06, 2022, 05:07:36 AMPart III: the rooftop concert
Well, I found the entire "docuseries" gratifying.

Thanks. The documentary has interested me greatly, so I'll almost certainly pick it up ( along with a fair amount of UHD releases ) once I'm in a position to upgrade to 4K.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

At last, I've seen Wait Until Dark complete (Audrey Hepburn, Alan Arkin, Richard Crenna.

Alan Arkin: "mostly I hated terrorizing Audrey Hepburn."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 07, 2022, 08:01:30 PMAt last, I've seen Wait Until Dark complete (Audrey Hepburn, Alan Arkin, Richard Crenna.

Arkin is soooooo good!

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 07, 2022, 08:01:30 PMAt last, I've seen Wait Until Dark complete (Audrey Hepburn, Alan Arkin, Richard Crenna.

Did you see The Kominsky Method (A TV show, not a movie), Karl? Arkin was hilarious in that!

SonicMan46

Around 10 years ago, I burned a lot of DVD-Rs from public domain TCM films - these were old movies made from the '30s into the 70's or so - a lot are now available as HD streamers on Amazon - so I've purchased a number and first must say that their quality, esp. the older ones, can be poor - most recent purchases shown below and are well done:

Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956) based on Rocky Graziano's autobiography - Newman does well (maybe a bit too handsome for the role, according to my wife?) in this excellent boxing film - short synopsis below w/ cast. Recommended to those into movies about boxing.

Detective Story (1951) - great ensemble acting from all - short summary below w/ cast - if the description meets your tastes, then recommended - Douglas and Parker are quite good.  Dave :)

QuoteSomebody Up There Likes Me is an American drama film directed by Robert Wise and starring Paul Newman and Pier Angeli, based on the life of middleweight boxing legend Rocky Graziano. The supporting cast features Everett Sloane, Eileen Heckart, Harold J. Stone, Sal Mineo, and Robert Loggia. The film was nominated for three Academy Awards, and won two: Best Cinematography (Black and White) and Best Art Direction (Black and White). (Source)

QuoteDetective Story is an American crime drama directed by William Wyler and starring Kirk Douglas that tells the story of one day in the lives of the various people who populate a police detective squad. The ensemble supporting cast features Eleanor Parker, William Bendix, Cathy O'Donnell, and George Macready. Both Lee Grant and Joseph Wiseman play large roles in their film debuts. The film was adapted by Robert Wyler and Philip Yordan from the 1949 play of the same name by Sidney Kingsley. It was nominated for four Academy Awards, including Academy Award for Best Director for Wyler, Best Actress for Parker, and Best Supporting Actress for Grant. An angry New York detective is one of a precinct of cops in a grim daily battle with the city's lowlife. (Source)