Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Randolph Scott & Budd Boetticher Westerns - any fans?  :D

Randolph Scott's (1898-1987) acting career spanned 1928 to 1962 appearing in over 100 films, 60 or so being westerns (Source) - from 1956 to 1960, he teamed up w/ the director, Budd Boetticher to make 7 westerns (listed below - link provides brief descriptions); often considered low-budget B oaters, the ones I've seen are short w/ beautiful scenery and great acting by the co-stars.

Last night, I watched Seven Men From Now (more HERE) - was a DVD-R > HD Amazon purchase - Gail Russell beautiful as ever (despite her alcoholism) and Lee Marvin stealing every scene - really enjoyed - now, I've probably seen only half of this collaboration, so may buy another if in HD.  Of course, the other great actor-director western pairings are Wayne-Ford and Stewart-Mann (own MANY of these films), so the Scott-Boetticher productions may be a notch lower but still fun watches.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Another DVD-R > HD streamer, The Tall T - pic added below; Richard Boone excellent (pre-Half Gun Will Travel)

QuoteSeven Men from Now (1956)
The Tall T (1957)
Decision at Sundown (1957)
Buchanan Rides Alone (1958)
Ride Lonesome (1959)
Westbound (1959)
Comanche Station (1960) (Source)

Madiel

As flagged previously, I went and saw The Banshees of Inisherin today.

Gorgeously shot and very well acted. But so very bleak. I had expected the balance of blackness and comedy to be a bit more even than it was. There were definitely some jokes in there (and some very funny ones at that), but one of the film's themes is depression/despair, and there was plenty of that to go around.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Quote from: Madiel on January 29, 2023, 11:29:20 PMAs flagged previously, I went and saw The Banshees of Inisherin today.

Gorgeously shot and very well acted. But so very bleak. I had expected the balance of blackness and comedy to be a bit more even than it was. There were definitely some jokes in there (and some very funny ones at that), but one of the film's themes is depression/despair, and there was plenty of that to go around.

Saw it yesterday aswel. Indeed, a beautifully shot & acted film. Cruel, funny, and a bleak picture of Ireland anno 1923. The loneliness (despair?) of living on a small island that drives people crazy....
I was vaguely reminded of "Le otto montagne", which I saw recently - another story of male friendship going awry.

More on the subtle soundtrack:https://variety.com/2022/artisans/awards/banshees-inisherin-carter-burwell-cinderella-martin-mcdonagh-1235419850/

And I couldn't help thinking of this...

Madiel

The soundtrack was certainly interesting, Brahms Lieder and all.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Brian on November 30, 2022, 06:56:25 AM

Saw the new "Knives Out" mystery in theaters on the big screen, before it moves to Netflix. It certainly was a nice big screen experience because of the lavish setting in a Greek luxury resort. Lots of beautiful landscapes and beautiful people.

Very entertaining movie, too. Benoit Blanc, our Foghorn-Leghorn-sounding detective hero, is summoned to a murder mystery dinner party vacation being thrown by Edward Norton, who straightforwardly portrays Elon Musk (thankfully without trying the accent). There's a lot of satiric bite here, as Musk's buddies/the suspects are a men's rights YouTuber (Dave Bautista), a bought-and-paid-for lefty politician (Kathryn Hahn), a washed-up model who keeps blurting racist things and getting canceled (Kate Moss), and a scientist yes-man at Tesla who keeps approving unsafe products to save his job (Leslie Odom Jr.).

Too much satire, not enough mystery? You could say that, especially since Musk's basic character/behavior end up providing a clue. But whatever. Don't carp. It's a load of fun watching all these actors ham it up and revel in their goofy characters. Baustista in particular is a total joy, wandering around with a loaded gun on or in his underpants. Plus you get Janelle Monae as the real company founder who got Winklevoss'd out without a penny, but who has returned with a secret. And Daniel Craig is having the time of his life as Blanc. He looks old here, but in a sweet, almost grandfatherly way. No wonder he was ready to give up Bond.

I don't think I should spoil the many cameos, which are great fun (and vehicles for jokes, not just stunt casting), but it is a particular pleasure to watch Kate Moss puzzle over a J.S. Bach tune, only for Yo-Yo Ma himself to show up and provide expert advice.

Longer than the first Knives Out, and maybe less satisfying as a mystery, but more fun as a goofy popcorn movie spectacle. The time flew. It's almost worth watching for the costumes alone. Netflix also spent probably 10% of the budget on forgeries of classic paintings (early on Blanc mentions a Matisse in the bathroom, and in good time, we get to see it).

My one complaint is that there are too many musical cues, so many that they sometimes rear-end each other like bumper cars.

Watched this one on the weekend. Absolutely bonkers movie but god that was entertaining and still gripping while completely different to the first instalment. Brian described it to a T above. Janelle Monae is brilliant in her role.

(Brian, it's Kate Hudson, not Kate Moss  ;)  ) 
Olivier

George

Enjoyed this last night. Jonah Hill and Julia Louis were great. Eddie was good too, though I felt he was a bit too restrained. I guess that's what the character called for.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on January 21, 2023, 03:35:15 AMI spent this movie trying to think of who Pierce Brosnan reminded me of. I think it was Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights.
Tangentially, a phrase I just heard in a podcast: Like watching Boogie Nights with your mom.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

The Triangle of Sadness for me.  I think out of the four recent critiques of the wealthy (The Menu, The White Lotus, and Glass Onion are the other three) this one does the best job of critiquing the corrupting nature of wealth and power while the other three setup morons and villains to sidestep the question.

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 31, 2023, 03:51:09 PMTangentially, a phrase I just heard in a podcast: Like watching Boogie Nights with your mom.
Ha!
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SimonNZ

Two nights ago: Michael Hoffman's all-star cast Dream

Last time I tried to watch this I got 20 minutes in before snowballing annoyances made me stop. This time I made it to 40. I dont think that counts as an improvement. What a hot mess.

Last night: Adrian Nobel's Dream, based on his RSC production.

I unexpectedly enjoyed this so much I may watch it again tonight. I don't disagree with the few things some critics have quibbled with, most commonly the framing device with the boy "dreamer", but they ultimately didn't diminish my overall admiration.

aligreto

Papy Oli

in the last couple of days:

Beverly Hills Cop I - For the first time seeing it in English (only ever saw it dubbed in French way back when)

SAW I

Both entertaining...in their own way  ;D

Olivier

relm1

Yesterday I watched "The Old Man and the Sea" with Spencer Tracey.  Kind of cute but not great.

LKB

Quote from: relm1 on February 02, 2023, 05:56:58 AMYesterday I watched "The Old Man and the Sea" with Spencer Tracey.  Kind of cute but not great.

One of the two Hemingway books l can remember reading, decades ago. I've seen the film as well, the book is much, much better.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

aligreto

Quote from: LKB on February 02, 2023, 06:55:41 AMI've seen the film as well, the book is much, much better.

I would definitely agree with that comment.

SimonNZ

Daverz

Quote from: LKB on February 02, 2023, 06:55:41 AMOne of the two Hemingway books l can remember reading, decades ago. I've seen the film as well, the book is much, much better.

I think that is commonly assigned in schools because it is short and it's Hemingway.  I haven't read it since school, but I remember something about an allegory with Old Man = Hemingway, sharks = his critics.  That may have been the instructor's take, I'm not sure I would have gotten that as a kid.

Last films watched:

The Truman Show.  This is an old favorite.  I'd forgotten that it's a Peter Weir film, and he also directed another big favorite: Master and Commander.

Bad Day at Black Rock.  This was filmed in Lone Pine, California, a very striking location that Hollywood used a lot.  Perhaps not coincidentally, the Manzanar concentration camp was just north of Lone Pine. 

VonStupp

Robin Hood (1973)
Peter Ustinov, Terry-Thomas, Phil Harris

A darker story with grittier 70's Disney animation. An odd mix of British and Southern US accents too.

The sped-up 90's Hamster Dance came from this film's 'Whistle Stop' from Roger Miller.

VS

VonStupp

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 03, 2023, 05:32:25 PM

I wonder if the tagline -

QuoteOlder. Wiser. More Talented.

was a swipe at 1999's The Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon and Jude Law?

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on February 04, 2023, 09:20:34 AMRobin Hood (1973)
Peter Ustinov, Terry-Thomas, Phil Harris

A darker story with grittier 70's animation. An odd mix of British and Southern US accents too.

The sped-up 90's Hamster Dance came from this film's 'Whistle Stop' from Roger Miller.

VS

That sounds a most interesting version, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot