Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Yesterday, I watched Plan 9 from Outer Space (1957).  Frequently cited as the worst film ever made, I was curious about it and it was on tv so why not.  It was pretty bad but had some charm which is all I could have hoped for.  Some of the reasons why it felt bad is just horrible production values, too campy, poor acting (the co-pilot literally is reading the script on his lap), poor...well everything is poor.  Seems like everything was a single take without rehearsal.  Don't quite understand why there is a vampire or vampira.  One thing I did like is the sun gun idea.  I thought that was quite interesting in the peak of the atom and hydrogen bomb hysteria to allude to the next generation weapon would be a photon bomb but since photons travel through space everywhere, it would destroy the universe. 

SonicMan46

Dune: Part Two (2024) - watched w/ my son in the afternoon (nearly a 3 hr movie!); synopsis below; was the 3-year wait from first one worth it, and when will the next one appear?  I actually own the first Dune as an UHD streamer (i.e. 2021 version; and also the 1984 film, considered a BOMB but I enjoy as a comedic sci-fi production -  ;D) - however, don't plan to buy 'Part Two'.  Now, the graphics, makeup, etc. are spectacular and the reviews excellent, e.g. 92% (95% audience) Rotten Tomatoes & 8.7/10, IMDB; here's a Forbes Review that reflects some of my thoughts and MUCH more, if interested.  Bottom line for me, too long and a number of misgivings better described in the linked review.  We watched on a 55" HDTV and would have obviously been awesome in a real theater with good sound.  Certainly recommended if you liked the first one (2021).  Dave

QuoteDune: Part Two explores the mythic journey of Paul Atreides as he unites with Chani and the Fremen while on a warpath of revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family. Facing a choice between the love of his life and the fate of the known universe, he endeavors to prevent a terrible future only he can foresee. (from Amazon Prime Video)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 02, 2024, 08:32:16 AMDune: Part Two (2024) - watched w/ my son in the afternoon (nearly a 3 hr movie!); synopsis below; was the 3-year wait from first one worth it, and when will the next one appear?  I actually own the first Dune as an UHD streamer (i.e. 2021 version; and also the 1984 film, considered a BOMB but I enjoy as a comedic sci-fi production -  ;D) - however, don't plan to buy 'Part Two'.  Now, the graphics, makeup, etc. are spectacular and the reviews excellent, e.g. 92% (95% audience) Rotten Tomatoes & 8.7/10, IMDB; here's a Forbes Review that reflects some of my thoughts and MUCH more, if interested.  Bottom line for me, too long and a number of misgivings better described in the linked review.  We watched on a 55" HDTV and would have obviously been awesome in a real theater with good sound.  Certainly recommended if you liked the first one (2021).  Dave

And another thumbs up for the Lynch/Dino di Laurentiis movie! How can you not like a movie with Patrick Stewart, Dean Stockwell, Max von Sydow and José Ferrer?!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 02, 2024, 08:32:16 AMWe watched on a 55" HDTV and would have obviously been awesome in a real theater with good sound.  Certainly recommended if you liked the first one (2021). 

Yes, I saw it in the theater and I think that was the way it was meant to be seen.  However, rewatching it on my new 77 inch oled didn't disappoint either.

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 02, 2024, 08:42:20 AMAnd another thumbs up for the Lynch/Dino di Laurentiis movie! How can you not like a movie with Patrick Stewart, Dean Stockwell, Max von Sydow and José Ferrer?!

Amen! 

To be sure, David Lynch apparently intended his version to be two movies, and disliked the final cut.

But it sure has its moments!

See e.g. a commenter on YouTube:

QuoteI... unironically love this version of Dune. It has a certain quality to it like a recital of Beowulf, or the reading of a historical saga. It's a lot of "Paul was here and did this. Paul went there and said that." to it. It's stilted. But enthralling.

And, for me, the sheer grandeur of some scenes - the music and the visuals - even though static, or perhaps because they are static, have the feeling of a great imperial hall, or a place burdened by a history of empire and rule.

There is something about Lynch's Dune which, for me, captures better than anything else the sheer scale of the story. The fact that you aren't watching a tale about the rebel prince. You are watching the terrible, inexorable unfolding of history before your eyes. Like standing at the foot of the mountain and seeing the avalanche thunder down upon you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12pJNX3CmYg

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 02, 2024, 08:42:20 AMAnd another thumbs up for the Lynch/Dino di Laurentiis movie! How can you not like a movie with Patrick Stewart, Dean Stockwell, Max von Sydow and José Ferrer?!

Funny enough I'm rereading the novel now and my mental image of the characters doesn't match either movie nor the miniseries. 

All three bring something special.  Lynch's version tried the hardest to capture the subtle unspoken thoughts, dialog and inferences.  The recent one is the most visually stunning and the only one to try to honor the intentions behind Dune Messiah.  And the tv miniseries is by far the most faithful adaptation.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 02, 2024, 09:10:18 AMThe recent one is the most visually stunning
Having seen Part I, I am apt to agree.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Iota

Watched Top Gun: Maverick recently. Some great flying scenes and a few fun moments, but I came away from it feeling it was all rather tired, the same old cliched male posturing, with Tom Cruise seeming like he was playing Tom Cruise just once too often. A shame, I generally like him, and think he plays the all-action, witty, rule-breaking leads well.

Hard on it's heels, I watched Nobody, a 2021 movie with Bob Odenkirk. Graphically violent once it gets going, also in seen-the-plot/characters-a-thousand-times-before territory, but unlike Top Gun it seemed very self-aware, and consequently felt fresh/amusing and well worth the ride. This was perhaps largely down to Odenkirk, who really grabs the attention, but some good supporting contributions too.

George

Quote from: Iota on May 02, 2024, 10:52:42 AMHard on it's heels, I watched Nobody, a 2021 movie with Bob Odenkirk. Graphically violent once it gets going, also in seen-the-plot/characters-a-thousand-times-before territory, but unlike Top Gun it seemed very self-aware, and consequently felt fresh/amusing and well worth the ride. This was perhaps largely down to Odenkirk, who really grabs the attention, but some good supporting contributions too.

Really enjoyed that one (twice!)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: Iota on May 02, 2024, 10:52:42 AMWatched Top Gun: Maverick recently. Some great flying scenes and a few fun moments, but I came away from it feeling it was all rather tired, the same old cliched male posturing, with Tom Cruise seeming like he was playing Tom Cruise just once too often. A shame, I generally like him, and think he plays the all-action, witty, rule-breaking leads well.

Hard on it's heels, I watched Nobody, a 2021 movie with Bob Odenkirk. Graphically violent once it gets going, also in seen-the-plot/characters-a-thousand-times-before territory, but unlike Top Gun it seemed very self-aware, and consequently felt fresh/amusing and well worth the ride. This was perhaps largely down to Odenkirk, who really grabs the attention, but some good supporting contributions too.
I think you've hit on something. Even though I've enjoyed all the MI movies, I haven't bothered with the latest, nor with TG:Maverick. I feel he's gone to the well once too many, perhaps. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

I'll watch pretty much anything involving Patrick Stewart. His renderings of Ahab, Scrooge, the knight in Excalibur ( Gawain maybe? ), even the minor part he played in Lifeforce ( which I'll happily admit to occasionally cherry-picking because of one of the other " actors " ) are exemplar.

And I would defy anyone to present a performance more astonishing than Stewart's in TNG's " Sarek ".
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 02, 2024, 05:45:17 PMAnd I would defy anyone to present a performance more astonishing than Stewart's in TNG's " Sarek ".
Outstanding! He was exceptional in "Chain of Command." as well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: LKB on May 02, 2024, 05:45:17 PMI'll watch pretty much anything involving Patrick Stewart.

And I would defy anyone to present a performance more astonishing than Stewart's in TNG's " Sarek ".

Yes, there are certain character actors/actresses, who are worth watching, even if the movie/T.V. show is mediocre.

My nominations are (off the top of my head, sort of chronologically)...

Billy Gilbert
Royal Dano
James Hong
Warren Oates
Woody Strode
Dennis Hopper
Billy Bob Thornton
Dennis Haysbert
Steve Zahn
Don Cheadle

Kathleen Howard
Eve Arden
Lillian Gish*
Patricia Collinge
Phyllis Thaxter
Joan Hackett
Jessica Harper
Octavia Spencer
Pamela Adlon

*Lillian Gish was a major star, of course, in silent movies, but in her later years accepted what could be called character roles in sound movies.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on May 02, 2024, 07:23:39 PMJames Hong
And what a filmography! The In-Laws and Blade Runner.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

steve ridgway

Quote from: relm1 on May 02, 2024, 05:28:55 AM

Yesterday, I watched Plan 9 from Outer Space (1957).  Frequently cited as the worst film ever made, I was curious about it and it was on tv so why not.  It was pretty bad but had some charm which is all I could have hoped for.  Some of the reasons why it felt bad is just horrible production values, too campy, poor acting (the co-pilot literally is reading the script on his lap), poor...well everything is poor.  Seems like everything was a single take without rehearsal.  Don't quite understand why there is a vampire or vampira.  One thing I did like is the sun gun idea.  I thought that was quite interesting in the peak of the atom and hydrogen bomb hysteria to allude to the next generation weapon would be a photon bomb but since photons travel through space everywhere, it would destroy the universe. 

The beam of a Gamma Ray Burst might possibly vaporise a planet at a range of 200 light years. :o

relm1

Yesterday, I enjoyed seeing Willow (1988).  A very cute and fun fantasy film with excellent cast, fantastic score (one of James Horner's best), and good story by George Lucas.  I felt Lucas was channeling Tolkien in conceiving a multi-volume epic with trolls, faeries, hobbits (basically a race of dwarfs), witches, wizards, etc.  I liked Willow's character quite a lot in that he is a reluctant hero who accepts the call to help bring the young baby to her destiny while protecting her as best he can.  The side characters were all very enjoyable such as a young Val Kilmer as the rogue thief, those two small comedic faeries that were quite funny.  I loved the queen witch who was fabulous and over the top.  She looked very familiar and I realized the evil sorceress queen here:

...was the same beauty in the classic Twilight Zone episode, "The Lonely".

Overall, a fun film, and exciting journey with a lot of heart.

pjme

Un métier sérieux -  A real job

A 2023 film by Thomas Lilti.
A nice little film, almost a documentary on teaching in France - anno 2023.

Teaching is 'a serious profession', this French film does not want to leave any misunderstandings about that. For a year we follow a group of teachers at an ordinary, contemporary secondary school. They have to deal with difficult students, boring teaching material, overwork, conflicts with parents and colleagues. But fortunately there is also a lot of satisfaction in return.
Un métier sérieux fits in with films such as Entre les murs and Das Lehrerzimmer (both very exiting, dramatic films),  but has less to offer in terms of drama and tension.
Still a beautiful professional portrait, with lots of nuance and excellent actors.

Peter

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 02, 2024, 05:45:17 PMI'll watch pretty much anything involving Patrick Stewart.
He's a great heavy playing across Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Irons

Quote from: LKB on May 02, 2024, 05:45:17 PMI'll watch pretty much anything involving Patrick Stewart. His renderings of Ahab, Scrooge, the knight in Excalibur ( Gawain maybe? ), even the minor part he played in Lifeforce ( which I'll happily admit to occasionally cherry-picking because of one of the other " actors " ) are exemplar.

With the exception of his Yorkshire Tea ad.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Cato

Quote from: Irons on May 03, 2024, 06:48:49 AMWith the exception of his Yorkshire Tea ad.

To quote Wile E. Coyote, self-proclaimed "Super Genius" :

"Even a genius can have an off day!"   ;D